Current Squad - Their quality as championship level players

sausagemeat

I rated Bryson as good to very good - is that wrong ?

I rated Martin as average - is he better than that ? if he is why have higher clubs not been interested in him ?

get real ffs

Calm down sausagemeat, have you got a cob on?

you've asked for opinions! not every body will agree with yours.....for instance, you are definitely wrong about Martin.

IMO of course :p

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rated Bryson as good to very good - is that wrong ?

I rated Martin as average - is he better than that ? if he is why have higher clubs not been interested in him ?

get real ffs

I think Bryson has been very good so far. What more do you want from him to push him into that category? 

Martin would be classed as good too for me. I'd imagine not many clubs were keen on taking a chance on him after his lack of football and unsuccessful loan spells at lower league teams than ourselves. Nige did and it's paid off, he's been good to very good for me this season. Goals, assists, very good link up play. One of few players who have genuine technical ability. 

Grant - average

Wisdom - good/very good

Keogh - poor

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor

Eustace - average/good

Bryson - good

Hughes - average/good

Ward - average/good

Dawkins - average

Martin - good

Sammon - off the ******* scale poor.

Morch - based of watching warm up. Very poor.

Jacobs - average

Bennett - average

Smith - average

Freeman - average

I think this is a very simplistic way of looking at the squad, it's as much about balance as quality of players.

Look at the midfield - Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Coutts and Ward are all good players.   Put them across the midfield all together and, as we have consistently proven, you get a lightweight midfield that is overrun by players of a lesser quality.  Drop Eustace into the middle of a selection of them and you see a very different type of midfield i.e. one that can compete with just about anyone in the Championship.  

Same can be said at centre half.  I don't think that either Keogh or Buxton are bad Championship defenders.  However, we have proved over time they do not make a pairing that works - something that Nigel failed to acknowledge and, I suspect, if he had would have saved his job.

I think this is a very simplistic way of looking at the squad, it's as much about balance as quality of players.

Look at the midfield - Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Coutts and Ward are all good players.   Put them across the midfield all together and, as we have consistently proven, you get a lightweight midfield that is overrun by players of a lesser quality.  Drop Eustace into the middle of a selection of them and you see a very different type of midfield i.e. one that can compete with just about anyone in the Championship.  

Same can be said at centre half.  I don't think that either Keogh or Buxton are bad Championship defenders.  However, we have proved over time they do not make a pairing that works - something that Nigel failed to acknowledge and, I suspect, if he had would have saved his job.

Its a good point you make there.

The best players don't necessarily make the best team. Some players just complement each other, some don't.

Lampard and Gerrard in the England team are probably the best example. Both excellent at what they do but they don't dovetail somehow for England.

I think Bryson has been very good so far. What more do you want from him to push him into that category? 

Martin would be classed as good too for me. I'd imagine not many clubs were keen on taking a chance on him after his lack of football and unsuccessful loan spells at lower league teams than ourselves. Nige did and it's paid off, he's been good to very good for me this season. Goals, assists, very good link up play. One of few players who have genuine technical ability. 

I like Bryson , like most players his performance level will alter in different games

I think Bryson has played some good games , i also think he has played some very good games. 

Hence my rating Good /Very good - it is only my opinion - we will all differ.

This thread is so vague with comments like 'good' or 'average' that it means Jack Tish in looking at the players attributes and how they fit into the side. If the OP had put at least 150/200 words on why he thinks a player is worthy of a future place going forward it might mean a bit more - but "ooh I rate him as poor/average" is hardly worth the read.The abuse the OP hands out to those who disagree with him makes him 'very poor to poor' as well. 

Grant - average
Wisdom - too early to tell (obviously has talent though)
Keogh - poor
Buxton - average
Forsyth - absolute ****
Eustace - average
Bryson - good/very good
Hughes - very good
Ward - average/good (too inconsistent)
Dawkins - average
Martin - good

Sammon - poor
Morch - never seen him play (have to agree with 'troydyer's post about warm up, at Watford he dropped everything)
Jacobs - average
Bennett - average
Smith - average
Freeman - average          

How do we know that? Is that on top of the 4.5 years Clough was given so its actually a 6.5 year plan by the board?

It's the length of his contract, and (I should imagine) if he fails to have achieved promotion by then, we will possibly be looking elsewhere.

Grant - good/very good
Wisdom - good/very good
Keogh - average/good
Buxton - good
Forsyth - average
Eustace - good
Bryson - good
Hughes - good
Ward - good
Dawkins - average/good
Martin - average/good

Sammon - Sell him.
Jacobs - sell him
Bennett - loan him out.
Smith - send back to Spurs
Freeman - loan him out          

What the hell, I'll play along...

Grant - average/good

Wisdom - good

Keogh - average

Buxton - average

Forsyth - poor/average

Eustace - good

Hughes - good/very good

Bryson - good/very good

Ward - average/good

Martin - good/very good

Russell - good

Legzdins - average

Freeman - average

Smith - poor/average

Barker - good

Whitbread - average/good

OB - average

Bavies - average

Dawkins - average

Jacobs - average/good

Sammon - poor/average

Bennett - average

Overall, I'd say the squad was average/good.

This thread is so vague with comments like 'good' or 'average' that it means Jack Tish in looking at the players attributes and how they fit into the side. If the OP had put at least 150/200 words on why he thinks a player is worthy of a future place going forward it might mean a bit more - but "ooh I rate him as poor/average" is hardly worth the read.The abuse the OP hands out to those who disagree with him makes him 'very poor to poor' as well. 

150/200 words per player ? x 17 = 2550 to 3400 word opening post - seems a bit long to me ?

poor / average / good / very good ratings were good enough for the education system and used in schools naytionally. Do you not class a player as good or very good or poor ? 

I do not believe i have abused anybody to be honest - I have responded positively to snide or silly comments made to or about me thats all. 

I also put on my OP - Are my ratings fair ?

Thus encouraging opinions and dialogue....

I am learning quickly on this forum .... if you say anything at all there are a few people just waiting to be negative and slag you off...which seems pathetic to me...

Some really good posters as well of course who dont just seem to insult people for no reason.... they are the ones that post sensible comments in the spirit of the threads ..... to discuss DCFC ....COYR

150/200 words per player ? x 17 = 2550 to 3400 word opening post - seems a bit long to me ?

poor / average / good / very good ratings were good enough for the education system and used in schools naytionally. Do you not class a player as good or very good or poor ? 

I do not believe i have abused anybody to be honest - I have responded positively to snide or silly comments made to or about me thats all. 

I am learning quickly on this forum .... if you say anything at all there are a few people just waiting to be negative and slag you off...which seems pathetic to me...

Some really good posters as well of course who dont just seem to insult people for no reason.... they are the ones that post sensible comments in the spirit of the threads ..... to discuss DCFC ....COYR

A cursory glance through the thread shows you've told one person to 'get their head out of the sand, FFS', one to 'get real' and one that 'you are deluded', comments which I find always stimulate intelligent debate amongst a group.

Then pick one or two players at a time - what are their attributes in your view? what do you see as their failings, what can be done to improve them, how do they fit into the systems, from your position in the stands do they have an awareness of what is happening around them, do they have any pace (do they need any), if you don't feel that they are what is needed do you think they can be sold (is there a market for them) - or you could just analyse them with one word if you want :)

Grant - good/very good

Wisdom - good/very good

Keogh - average/good

Buxton - good

Forsyth - average

Eustace - good

Bryson - good

Hughes - good

Ward - good

Dawkins - average/good

Martin - average/good

Sammon - Sell him.

Jacobs - sell him

Bennett - loan him out.

Smith - send back to Spurs

Freeman - loan him out          

We wouldn't have much of a squad if you were in charge Normo.  ;)

Archived