Best away game you've been too.

Mafiabob

Depressingly, due to my age, I've only really been to away games during the Clough period, which as you can imagine hasn't been particularly memorable. So my best one was probably under Jewell  :lol:

Norwich 1-2 Derby

First season back in the Championship, we'd only just won our first match in just under a year recently and our first away game in something like a year and a half. We took the lead through Hulse only for Roy Carroll to give away a penalty and get sent off right at the start of the second half, which we missed due to the awful queue for Delia's pies. They scored the penalty and we struggled on with ten men (sound familiar) through the second half, only for Ellington to come on and score with ten minutes left. We were quite loud and I remember singing a lot when Arturo Lupoli came on for them. A Norwich fan in a pink jumper foolishly left, half-way through the second half, of course resulting in 'does your boyfriend know you're here' chants. It was the first away day I can really remember and the first time I'd heard all the chants etc.

Brilliant memory actually.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May have wrote about this before but that day was up there!

2 mini buses from Utch and we had an invite to Stretford Labour Club, 20 minute walk from OT. Got there early doors, by the time the local Mancs started pouring in we had a large room to ourselves with flags and scarves draped all round.....amazing atmosphere in there and tbf to the mancs, a good craic as well.

Walk up to the ground was surreall, thousands of reds and 30 odd pissed up Derby singing their hearts out. The match, the Wanchope goal, the walk back to the club, drinking in there until 8pm, singing, dancing, stopping in Stoke on the way back, everything about the day was superb.

One or two of us still rate that day as the "If Carlsberg did football" perfect day out. :D

I remember I had a permanent grin etched on my face on the walk back to the car!

The disappointing thing was that according to the press, Man Utd lost the game rather than Derby winning it...

That FA cup replay away at Forest in 09 was special, the sinking feeling when they went 2-0 and being surrounded by Forest fans was humiliating...but then Hulse scored...and then Green...and when Commons stuck in the winner...wow, what a feeling - especially the next day of school where I knew plenty of dejected forest fans!! :p 

There is no doubt that the best away DCFC victory, it was the 5 3 win at White Hart Lane, a midweek FA Cup replay in February 1973.

Derby were 3 1 down but came back to win 5 3 with a Roger Davies hatrick.

What a night, we somehow ended up with the Spurs fans and so had to keep our celebrations to ourselves.

Beating Forest with 10 men is a day I shall never forget. I still watch it in the build up to a Derby Forest match and still get goosebumps and can't stop smiling.

What a day that was.

Hands down the best away day, i took my mate with me (Wednesday fan), i remeber kicking off and saying to him 'we always concede early goals against f*rest, if we can get through the first 20mins without conceding we will be ok' the rest is history. I think even as a Owl it is up there with his best away days.

I enjoyed the 'Cup of Tea' game at Villa Park - probably the biggest away support we ever had apart from Wembley (I'm sure it was reported that there were well over 20,000 from Derby).

For me, Rotherham 1-3 Derby

Was just a joy to be honest, like many away games that season.. But being close by, despite going 1-0 down we absolutely battered them..

It was just great to watch us play decent football, taking a big crowd and everyone being happy..

I also met a mate I hadn't seen in a few years on the way to the pisser (if it can be described as that - it was feckin disgusting) and ended up travelling Australia with him a couple of years after.. Probably wouldn't have gone with him had I not seen him because I hadn't spoken to him in a while and I didn't have his contact number

All in all it was a memorable afternoon for me.

For me, Rotherham 1-3 Derby

Was just a joy to be honest, like many away games that season.. But being close by, despite going 1-0 down we absolutely battered them..

It was just great to watch us play decent football, taking a big crowd and everyone being happy..

I also met a mate I hadn't seen in a few years on the way to the pisser (if it can be described as that - it was feckin disgusting) and ended up travelling Australia with him a couple of years after.. Probably wouldn't have gone with him had I not seen him because I hadn't spoken to him in a while and I didn't have his contact number

All in all it was a memorable afternoon for me.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. No such thing as coincidence mate. BTW  did Tudgay score in that game ?

I enjoyed the 'Cup of Tea' game at Villa Park - probably the biggest away support we ever had apart from Wembley (I'm sure it was reported that there were well over 20,000 from Derby).

Was you at the sunday game at Coventry, 1974 ish, FA Cup i think. Estimated at 17,000 Derby there.....unbelieveably exciting day out for an impressionable 14 year old! Never forget the old boy with a sandwich board shouting about hellfire and damnation to sinners, while hundreds of fans were fighting all around him..... :o

There is no doubt that the best away DCFC victory, it was the 5 3 win at White Hart Lane, a midweek FA Cup replay in February 1973.

Derby were 3 1 down but came back to win 5 3 with a Roger Davies hatrick.

What a night, we somehow ended up with the Spurs fans and so had to keep our celebrations to ourselves.

I'm sure my dad told me a similar story about being at spurs, was only thinking about it the other day actually. 

My personal faves were against Liverpool at anfield and Everton at goodison.

We lost to Liverpool 4-0 but loved the atmosphere and I had probably the best burger of my life just outside the ground. Was a great day out with me dad. We didn't deserve to lose by that score line, Mcmanaman was a great player though.

My favourite win was against Everton, 1-2. Wanchope and Igor scored the goals, loved it because it was totally expected from me.

Loads of great ones, the Leicester league cup game in 1985, two at Sheffield Utd - FA Cup in 1986 and league in 1987, two at Man Utd - Nick Pickering and Malcolm Christie, Liverpool header from little Scottish winger who's name escapes me, two at Southampton - Penney / Garner and play off 1st leg, all the recent wins at Forest.

Difficult to pick just one but I'll go with the 10 men Forest win!

Archived