Best away game you've been too.

Mafiabob

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was you at the sunday game at Coventry, 1974 ish, FA Cup i think. Estimated at 17,000 Derby there.....unbelieveably exciting day out for an impressionable 14 year old! Never forget the old boy with a sandwich board shouting about hellfire and damnation to sinners, while hundreds of fans were fighting all around him..... :o

Yes, I certainly was. It cost me my 'career' in football. I was playing for a Derby Sunday League team and of course the Rams game was switched to Sunday (3 day week, wasn't it?) so we had a serious fixture clash. Sunday was for playing, Saturday was for watching - but Derby.... but FA Cup.... so I told the manager I was 'temporarily unavailable. He asked me "Do you think more of Derby County than you do of Normanton Harriers?" - to which my natural reply was "I think more of Nottingham Forest than I do of Normanton Harriers".

Seeing the god-botherer made it all worthwhile - thanks for reminding me.

Wembley - 1976 charity shield

Wembley with a huge sun drenched pitch long before they ruined the stadium by over development.

Charlie george's debut.

Goals for hector and mcfarland.

Our great team winning at wembley.....

There is no doubt that the best away DCFC victory, it was the 5 3 win at White Hart Lane, a midweek FA Cup replay in February 1973.

Derby were 3 1 down but came back to win 5 3 with a Roger Davies hatrick.

What a night, we somehow ended up with the Spurs fans and so had to keep our celebrations to ourselves.

Well I didnt go but that match came to mind when the question was asked best away match ever.

Beating Arsenal at Highbury the year they won the league

Dean Saunders made Tony Adams look like a pub player that day

Beating Man Utd at Old Trafford on the same day as Hillsborough

yeah i went to old trafford that day. So happy that we'd won only to hear the hillsborough disaster unfold on the bus after the match.

Seeing as we've had a few of these kind of threads popping up......

Bristol City away 91/92 Season. Won 2-1.... Micklewhite scored late. It rained hailed sleet snow that day on a uncovered terrace. Nearly 4000 Derby there. We had no seating allocated but remember a C Stand chant coming from there main stand! I was 13 when went there! Great time!

I was at that game.

5-2 at Wednesday was the best Derby away performance I've ever seen, pure footy by Eranio and co.

The 1-0 win at Old Trafford when they presented the Prem trophy was fun as we all stayed to watch and joined in with "1-0 to the super rams" and "you only came to see the Derby" as Becks and co took their turns to lift the trophy

Port Vale away the day after Maxwell sunk was the funniest, we lost 1-0 and think a certain RVdL scored but we were very happy and witty derby fans that night

I remember 3 successive victories at the theatre of dead trees under Brian Clough's management with great fondness, especially because I was at school in Nottingham for the first two of them, but for me the best non-European away game was on 16 September, 1969. We played Newcastle away and beat them 1-0 through a Roy McFarland goal. The match wasn't that special, and we got absolutely soaked through to the skin - but at five o'clock when we got back to Wheildon's bus and heard the results come in one by one, it dawned upon us that Derby County had just gone to the top of the First Division.

That trip home was special - because we were special.

Seeing the topic title my immediate thought was Newcastle 0 Derby 1 could not remember the date but can still see Roy Mc scoring that goal as clear as anything . I had travelled up to Newcastle on the Ramaway Special Train - gosh those were the days - a whole train full of DC supporters. It got interesting at the ground however. There was little or no segregation in those days and of course Newcastle played in Black and White also, so unbeknown to us we had got in the largely Newcastle end by mistake we were all decked in  black and white and it was not until Roy Mc scored that we realised that we were the only one's jumping up and down. We then saw the Newque Brown bottles in some pockets so kept a rather lower profile for the rest of the game and yes it did rain !! As you say though the Train trip home was brilliant - DC top of the league !!

Close behind I would put the Charity Shield win and the Wanchope game at ManUre. On the latter game my wife and youngest daughter had gone shopping in Manchester and were in a shop around the old TV with 'lots' of other people when the old Grandstand teleprinter got to work. Manchester Utd 2 Derby 3 - the shop erupted - they were all City supporters !!

I have two, is that being greedy?

Leicester in the league cup, took a 2-1 lead into the game from the first leg and drew the match 1-1. We were third div they were top flight but the game sticks in the memory for the crowd we took and singing "We are Derby, we are Derby, Super Derby, Super Rams, we are Derby, Super Derby, we are Derby, Super Rams"

Sheff Utd in the FA Cup in the late eighties? I think we were in the third div or maybe the following year in the second - I know it was a "giant killing" and we took something like ten thousand. I just remember the atmosphere being absolutely electric in the away end

I've been to many other great away days but these two really stick in my memory, great times on the way back from the brink

It's almost impossible to pick a single one out, having followed Derby away for over 20 years there have been a lot of good and a lot of bad days!

I'll just post some up that come to mind in the hope that it brings back happy memories for other posters:-

Man Utd 0 Derby County 2 15/04/1989 - Went as a guest of the Derbyshire FA, after beating a Man Utd boys team 4-0 in the morning we were given a tour of Old Trafford and met a few players before watching the match. For anyone who has never seen it, get on youtube and check out the turn Saunders pulled on Bruce. Only down point of the day was news of the Hillsborough disaster filtering through as we left the ground.

Sunderland 1 Derby County 2 01/12/1990 - My first 'proper' away game sat with the Derby fans. Saunders and Harford for us. Peter Davenport (I think) with a late penalty for them.

Huddersfield 0 Derby County 1 26/12/1995 - Ronnie Willems late goal has Derby on top of the league in front of over 4000 Rams fans.

Tottenham 1 Derby County 1 21/08/1996 - First away game in the Premier League. 1-0 down in the 90th minute and Jacob Laursen hits the post and we all think its over. Barely a minute later Christian Dailly earns us our first away point in the Premier League.

Leicester 1 Derby County 2 06/10/1997 - Monday evening game on Sky (I think) Baiano with both. Back in the day the rivalry at Filbert Street was pretty intense/

Bolton 3 Derby County 3 14/12/1997 - Sunday afternoon game on Sky (I think) Eranio and Baiano at their very best.

Bradford 4 Derby County 4 21/04/2000 - Most bizarre match ever! From 0-2 up inside 5 minutes we went 3-2 down, there then follows 4 penalties of which 4 went to Derby with Craig Burley scoring 2 but missing the 3rd to win us the match.

Preston 1 Derby County 2 01/01/2007 - Great way to open the New Year, 2 goals from Stevie Howard and chants galore of E I E I E I O!

Barnsley 1 Derby County 2 01/03/2007 - Oakley and Jones put us 2-0 up and well on the way to the play offs cheered on by maybe 8000 Rams fans

Southampton 1 Derby County 2 12/05/2007 - First leg of the play offs. Great day

Forest 2 Derby County 3 04/02/2009 - FA Cup, 2-0 down to 2-3 up, great atmosphere under floodlights

Forest 1 Derby County 3 21/02/2009 - Different to the match just 2 weeks before. Battered them.

Yeovil 0 Derby County 3 24/08/2013 - A trip down memory land...back on the terraces. The most convincing away victory I have seen us have.

WBA away after the promotion game against Palace under Jim Smith

Remember that game well, filled the whole end behind the goal 5k+ had a lock in at a boozer on morledge before roadriders came (about 9am) was 16 at the time, had a skinful and was bursting for a slash on coach, had to stop it and have one on the verge!

Wembley - 1976 charity shield

Wembley with a huge sun drenched pitch long before they ruined the stadium by over development.

Charlie george's debut.

Goals for hector and mcfarland.

Our great team winning at wembley.....

75 charity shield, but yes great game. end of an era effectively.

Leicester in the league cup, took a 2-1 lead into the game from the first leg and drew the match 1-1. We were third div they were top flight but the game sticks in the memory for the crowd we took and singing "We are Derby, we are Derby, Super Derby, Super Rams, we are Derby, Super Derby, we are Derby, Super Rams"

Sheff Utd in the FA Cup in the late eighties? I think we were in the third div or maybe the following year in the second - I know it was a "giant killing" and we took something like ten thousand. I just remember the atmosphere being absolutely electric in the away end

I've been to many other great away days but these two really stick in my memory, great times on the way back from the brink

86 i think. rob hindmarch from 2 yards after 34mins? about 9,000 of us.

86 i think. rob hindmarch from 2 yards after 34mins? about 9,000 of us.

It was bloody freezing too.

Archived