Stimac

North_Stand_Ram

I would love it. But I can't see him coming from managing a good international team to coaching in the Champ. Shame as it would be the most only exciting thing has happened at this club for several years.

He might get a game here though?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went through the exact same thought process.

Igor has an ego. He's arrogant. Which is why we love him of course and it made him the player he was. That confidence was inspiring. But he's had his controversy.

Ha!

I remember was it last time Jim Smith was in Derby he said something like "it's hard getting Igor to do anything. He thinks he picks the team" or something like that. He said it with a smile.

His arrogance led to some special moments though.

I remember Euro 96 Croatia v Germany he had the ball on his own goal line back to the game shielding the ball form an in form Jurgen Klinsmann. He scoops the ball up balances it on his foot then flicks over his own and Klinsmann's head, spins past klinsmann, then strides away with the ball dumping one of europes best strikers on his arris, he then plays a majestic 30 yard cross field ball to the foot of a team mate turns round and gives klinsmann a sly smile.

I sat there thinking wow...... This guys plays for Derby. Great days.

To me, Igor was 'another McFarland' and worth the admission price alone.

Although both Igor and Roy were the best central defenders I had ever seen in a Derby shirt (In McFarland's case, the best English central defender I had seen in my life), I get the feeling that either could have played anywhere - defence, midfield, up front.

Jackie Stamps once described Roy as "The world's best centre-forward, gone to waste". I have a feeling he would have looked upon Igor in the same way.

Either your in an airport and all we are getting is the background or you took my post seriously?

Sort it out Eddie!

Problem with living in Castle Donington AND shaking off the effects of a 4 bottles of McEwan's Champion and a few shots of Jim Beam hangover.

Just carry on without me lads. I'll catch up.

Right here goes my attempt at most unpopular post of the year....hard hat on!

In terms of having Stimac here as a defensive coach I wouldn't see it as a great move. As a reader of the game and bringing the ball out of the defence he was the best I have ever seen in my time watching Derby but defensively he was not the best. I wouldn't say that he was the most commanding centre back ever and when faced up one on one he would almost always end up dumped on his arse, sometimes he won the ball, sometimes he got skint and brought the man down.

In terms of players who I think were much better defensively and who I would rather see coaching people how to defend I would be looking at Mark Wright, Craig Short, Dean Yates or Paul McGrath.

As I say, just my personal opinion and I have prepared myself for on onslaught!

In terms of having Stimac here as a defensive coach I wouldn't see it as a great move. As a reader of the game and bringing the ball out of the defence he was the best I have ever seen in my time watching Derby but defensively he was not the best. I wouldn't say that he was the most commanding centre back ever and when faced up one on one he would almost always end up dumped on his arse, sometimes he won the ball, sometimes he got skint and brought the man down.

In terms of players who I think were much better defensively and who I would rather see coaching people how to defend I would be looking at Mark Wright, Craig Short, Dean Yates or Paul McGrath.

Saw your point up until you typed "Dean Yates"

I had thought about Short but he's only just left to go to Blackburn.

The other plus for Stimac is he would have a working relationship with McClaren and Simmo already.

Saw your point up until you typed "Dean Yates"

I had thought about Short but he's only just left to go to Blackburn.

The other plus for Stimac is he would have a working relationship with McClaren and Simmo already.

Really? Thought he was an absolutely fantastic defender, especially in promotion season.

Was playing well in Premier League until Dwight Yorke (I think) ended his career with a horror challenge.

Really? Thought he was an absolutely fantastic defender, especially in promotion season.

Was playing well in Premier League until Dwight Yorke (I think) ended his career with a horror challenge.

He did a great job for us. But he worked in the same way Terry works for Chelsea. If there's someone a bit more cultured next to him then great otherwise not so good. I still wouldn't want him as a coach as he's done nothing since he retired so it's just throwing a former good defender in there. Why not Paul Williams whilst we're at it?

He did a great job for us. But he worked in the same way Terry works for Chelsea. If there's someone a bit more cultured next to him then great otherwise not so good. I still wouldn't want him as a coach as he's done nothing since he retired so it's just throwing a former good defender in there. Why not Paul Williams whilst we're at it?

I was just thinking of defenders that did things that our current defence can't do.

Would not have Paul Williams anywhere near the same bracket as the players I mentioned.

I don't see how an Olympic gold medalist could help here.

C'mon rynny! You tossed it up and I had to hit it!

We'll go equal partners on that knee slapper?

DFSHPD

In terms of having Stimac here as a defensive coach I wouldn't see it as a great move. As a reader of the game and bringing the ball out of the defence he was the best I have ever seen in my time watching Derby but defensively he was not the best. I wouldn't say that he was the most commanding centre back ever and when faced up one on one he would almost always end up dumped on his arse, sometimes he won the ball, sometimes he got skint and brought the man down.

I see what you mean there, and I tend to agree. I think 'defender' doesn't really suit Stimac as a description - to me he was always a sweeper.  Great at anticipating and picking up the loose ball at the back, and with the passing ability of an excellent midfielder.  The way he used to ping the ball 40 yards with barely any backlift was great to watch.

I'm not sure I'd want him back here in any capacity really. Not because I don't rate his ability or knowledge to coach players, but because of the risk of souring a great player-club-fans relationship if it all went wrong and he got the boot.  I never want him to manage us, because if it didn't go according to plan I'd be gutted to hear fans chanting "Igor out".

In terms of quality central defenders, I always liked Jacob Laursen.  A solid centre half, excellent man-marker (remember when he hardly gave Michael Owen and Paul Merson a kick when we played Liverpool and Villa respectively?) and generally reliable.  Highly underrated.

Archived