Individual perfomances.

Mostyn6

Performers  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, G Star.

Unfortunately, you do often have to go to ground to get a free kick, regardless of whether 'a foul is a foul'. Whilst not stupid, referees do look to play the advantage when they can, but the 2nd part of that advantage when the ball is lost is often missed.

In away games especially I'd rather a player makes sure he wins the free kick to halt the flow of the game and alleviate pressure than to risk losing the ball when there's no pass on by staying on his feet and running / turning into trouble.

That's what Sammon does - he rarely wins a free kick, he doesn't use his body well when shielding / holding up the ball, he leaves a big gap between his legs for the opposition to poke the ball away but when he does hold off the opposition and stay on his feet he often loses the ball a second later because he's been outnumbered, with no pass on he runs into the opposition, play goes on.

Martin doesn't risk that happening, he wins the free kick, we keep the ball, but when there is something on he stays on his feet and again we keep the ball. Again, if someone could show me some times when he's gone down when there's an undeniably better option I might change my mind.

Howard was bigger, stronger and more imposing than Martin, he was capable of bullying the opposition and holding off 2-3 players on his own. I can't speak for Harford but 6'4" brick shithouse? Chris Martin isn't going to do that so he does the next best thing and the stats say he does it better than anyone else. There's nothing for referees to 'suss out'.

Come off it.

I rate Martin, good player, but there's no two ways about it, he goes down very easily. Wouldnt go as far as 'diving' but he cons a lot of free kicks out of the ref. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come off it.

I rate Martin, good player, but there's no two ways about it, he goes down very easily. Wouldnt go as far as 'diving' but he cons a lot of free kicks out of the ref.

Going down easily and diving is quite an important distinction.

I think Martin would win many more free kicks if he tried to jump for headers. He seems more intent on wrestling half the time.

Ward has been pretty useless this season. It's a word often overused in football, but considering what he's capable of, he's been very disappointing. But I don't like him out wide.

Chris Martin, on the other hand, has really surprised me as others have said. He must have worked very hard to get from where he was when we first signed him on loan to where he is now.

Martin - best forward we've had in years. Which isn't hard tbf.

And of course so many people on here were describing him as a donkey, a carthorse and "Not good enough for Nottingham Forest Derby County " in July.

Going down easily and diving is quite an important distinction.

I think Martin would win many more free kicks if he tried to jump for headers. He seems more intent on wrestling half the time.

I am not sure about the 'wrestling', he is just very good at getting his body between the defender and the ball. He is entitled to stand his ground and if the defender tries to come through him it is often a foul. 

Martin for me. He's fast becoming our most important attacking player. Excellebt touch, technique, strength, awareness. You could tell he had all these qualities when he was on loan but i'm surprisef at his goal return given he's used as a link up man a lot of the time.

Keogh has under performed the most for me. Lacked composure and hasn't been a good leader. Trying too hard perhaps? Hopefully a new lease of life under McClaren.

Russell doesnt deserve to be on the list IMO

I chose Bryson as outstanding performer. I know he's a good player but I always thought his contributions were the quiet ones (e.g. did the running no-one else would do, effective but not spectacular). This season, however, he's added both goals and assists to his game. So much so, he's actually been one of our most dangerous players this season. I always thought that we'd be okay if he was injured or sold but, now, I know we'd miss him.

Martin was a very close second. He'd probably be first if he didn't go down so easily. It was funny at first watching him con referees but, now, it's pretty annoying. Those saying he doesn't make the most of tackles need to take off their rose-tinted glasses because he definitely does. No two ways about it. Scores and sets up goals though so he's a good player, especially seeing as we got him on a free.

Keogh's my under-performer of the season. I think he's a good player (hence why he won POTY last season) but he's been truly shocking so far in this campaign. I'm expecting a turnaround in his form though with the arrival of Whitbread. He needs a calming presence besides him IMO.

Grant's been poor too. I don't think he's at fault for as many goals as people have claimed but he has cost us points already this season. Still think he's a slight improvement over Frankie and Legz and I'm hoping Steele can iron out the creases in his game.

Russell doesn't deserve to be on that list either. Very harsh.

And of course so many people on here were describing him as a donkey, a carthorse and "Not good enough for Nottingham Forest Derby County " in July.

Yep, he was just an unfit technical player that doesn't pointlessly run to hide his lack of ability.

Great signing.

Bet if he's misses a few games it will hurt us.

Outstanding performer:

Craig Bryson; is hat-trick was superb. He's our top scorer, and I really didn't expect him to be hitting the net as much as he is. He has improved season on season.

Other:

Chris Martin; didn't pick him because it's what I expected. His ability was obvious when he was on loan with us, just he clearly wasn't fit. Excellent summer signing.

Under performer:

Richard Keogh; doesn't look like a £1m signing. Doesn't look like a free signing tbh. Had a really crap season so far.

there is no debate on this one , bryso by a country mile , in fact was just talking about him to one of my mates and if he signed with a premiership team or one of the old firm he would be capped right away , why Scotland persevere with scott brown who creates nil and eh scores nil and only cover 65% of what bryso does in a game is beyond me

why are so many brothers hating on lee grant? hes an improvement of franky and leggy, his distirbution is much better and kept us in the game against forest

A few sisters too

Bryson and Ward for me.

Bryson just 'cause I didn't believe he could add so many goals to his game. He'll score more than Lampard this season :)

Keogh has been bad but at least he has tried. Same you can't always say about Ward. That's why latter gets my vote.

(I've never rated Grant and to my expectations he has played well!)

Bryson has kicked on this season. Seems to play a part in the majority of our goals and of course the iron man workrate. If he continues like this, then it's a no brainier for player of the season.

Wardy has been lazy all season. He was very lazy in the pre season games as well. He just doesn't have that same impact anymore. I always used to think he was our only match winner. But I reckon he'll change up gears with McClaren for some illogical reason.

Keogh has gone from hero to zero so far. He looks really incompetent when last year, he was solid. I reckon it's down to the lack of competition which has made him rest on his laurels. Hopefully with Whitbread and Bucko trying to break back into the team, he'll find some form. 

Outstanding performer:

Craig Bryson; is hat-trick was superb. He's our top scorer, and I really didn't expect him to be hitting the net as much as he is. He has improved season on season.

Other:

Chris Martin; didn't pick him because it's what I expected. His ability was obvious when he was on loan with us, just he clearly wasn't fit. Excellent summer signing.

Under performer:

Richard Keogh; doesn't look like a £1m signing. Doesn't look like a free signing tbh. Had a really crap season so far.

Spot on.

Archived