Individual perfomances.

Mostyn6

Performers  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Lee Grant as under-performer, based on expectations vs performances. An experienced Championship keeper who was POTS at Burnley last year, he seems to have made more errors of judgement this season already than FF/AL did between them in the whole of the previous season

My votes:-

Outstanding Performer

Chris Martin, was really underwhelmed by his signing based on his performances towards the end of last season and the fact that I thought he was fat, lazy and out of shape. Proving me wrong so far this season. Hold up play has been excellent, his goal scoring contribution was definitely what I expected either. The only downside for me is the amount of time he spends on his backside but didn't even notice too much of that on Saturday.

Would have been close for second between Bryson and Buxton until Tuesday night when I lost a lot of respect for Buxton. Really like Bryson and his performances have been what I have come to expect of him with the added bonus of goals thrown in.

Underperforming Player

Lee Grant, I don't think his performances have been awful but certainly not as good as I had hoped for. A very decent shot stopper but not the commanding goalkeeper I had hoped for. Has been caught flapping at balls all too often for my liking, although the same could be said for the goalkeepers last season so its not really a backward step. Looking forward to seeing if Eric Steele can improve his game because I was of the firm belief that every goalkeeper went backwards under the old regime.

Second would be Ward/Keogh, the former seems a shadow of the player we had last season, maybe not feeling so loved now he is no longer the focal point of the team? Don't really need to say much about Keogh's performances although I thought he looked much more comfortable on Saturday until they brought that big lump on in the second half.

My votes:-

Outstanding Performer

Chris Martin. The only downside for me is the amount of time he spends on his backside but didn't even notice too much of that on Saturday.

Chris Martin has won a considerable amount more free kicks than any other player in the division.

Someone posted this on derbymad, the stats are from before Leeds, but:

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/mark.chase/418400/top-five-most-fouled-players-in-the-championship/will-hughes-22-fouls

Wll Hughes 22

Fernando Forestieri 22

Charlie Austin 22

Will Buckley 26

Chris Martin 35

...which would suggets to me that he's not just going down for the sake of it, and people need to stop presenting it as a fault!

Chris Martin has won a considerable amount more free kicks than any other player in the division.

Someone posted this on derbymad, the stats are from before Leeds, but:

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/mark.chase/418400/top-five-most-fouled-players-in-the-championship/will-hughes-22-fouls

Wll Hughes 22

Fernando Forestieri 22

Charlie Austin 22

Will Buckley 26

Chris Martin 35

...which would suggets to me that he's not just going down for the sake of it, and people need to stop presenting it as a fault!

I'm not suggesting that its not part of the current game but I would say he dives a lot.

This is not something I like to see Derby players doing.

I'm not suggesting that its not part of the current game but I would say he dives a lot.

This is not something I like to see Derby players doing.

I'd counter that by saying he is actually fouled a lot, and isn't 'diving'.

I think there's a major, key difference between 'simulation' and using your body to make sure the opposition kick you instead of / at the same time as the ball. Referees may get a lot of stick, but they aren't stupid and are right a lot more than people think - they can see that he is being fouled.

Chris Martin is brilliant at using his body to get what he wants :o

I can't recall many times where Chris Martin has gone to ground when there's been better options around him - that would be the sign of an actual diver, see Jamie Ward at times - he's on the floor a good amount yet doesn't win many free kicks.

I'd counter that by saying he is actually fouled a lot, and isn't 'diving'.

I think there's a major, key difference between 'simulation' and using your body to make sure the opposition kick you instead of / at the same time as the ball.

Chris Martin is brilliant at using his body to get what he wants :o

I can't recall many times where Chris Martin has gone to ground when there's been better options around him - that would be the sign of an actual diver, see Jamie Ward at times - he's on the floor a good amount yet doesn't win many free kicks.

I've been watching football a long time and if the same challenges that go in on Martin had gone in on Harford, Howard and even Sammon they would not be on the floor. You don't have to go to ground to get a free kick, a foul is a foul. Diving to the floor will only work against Martin in my opinion because fans and referees will grow wise to it.

I voted Smith as underperforming as a.n.other

I considered him as an option, but left him off as he's not played all the games and none of us really knew what to expect from him, and I certainly didn't expect anything special from him.

I considered him as an option, but left him off as he's not played all the games and none of us really knew what to expect from him, and I certainly didn't expect anything special from him.

I expected better than sh1te

Here's a surprising stat from whoscored

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/3859/Stages/7800/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2013-2014

In the four player categories - that's Summary, Defensive, Offensive and Passing - sort by the average ratings (which is an average of the various sub-catgeories under each main category)

Derby have one player in the top 20 for each category. It's the same player. And it is.......

Jake Buxton

We'll just have to agree to disagree, G Star.

Unfortunately, you do often have to go to ground to get a free kick, regardless of whether 'a foul is a foul'. Whilst not stupid, referees do look to play the advantage when they can, but the 2nd part of that advantage when the ball is lost is often missed.

In away games especially I'd rather a player makes sure he wins the free kick to halt the flow of the game and alleviate pressure than to risk losing the ball when there's no pass on by staying on his feet and running / turning into trouble.

That's what Sammon does - he rarely wins a free kick, he doesn't use his body well when shielding / holding up the ball, he leaves a big gap between his legs for the opposition to poke the ball away but when he does hold off the opposition and stay on his feet he often loses the ball a second later because he's been outnumbered, with no pass on he runs into the opposition, play goes on.

Martin doesn't risk that happening, he wins the free kick, we keep the ball, but when there is something on he stays on his feet and again we keep the ball. Again, if someone could show me some times when he's gone down when there's an undeniably better option I might change my mind.

Howard was bigger, stronger and more imposing than Martin, he was capable of bullying the opposition and holding off 2-3 players on his own. I can't speak for Harford but 6'4" brick shithouse? Chris Martin isn't going to do that so he does the next best thing and the stats say he does it better than anyone else. There's nothing for referees to 'suss out'.

Thats it then the unbelievers are all wrong. First home win coincedence or what. conceded 3then3then4 in previous home games. Ie 10 in 3 prior to Leeds

Love the way you use stats to disprove that stats don't always give you the full picture.

Archived