Derby County v Leeds United

Gritstone Ram

Regular reader, but very infrequent poster on here. Just felt the need to share some thoughts on yesterday.

The Cox / Smith era was the only time when I have been lucky enough to be able to have a season ticket or get to away games, for various reasons, so it has tended to be my main point of reference for the very varied fare that has followed over the next couple of decades.

I noticed a post yesterday (apologies for not quoting / acknowledging) saying that the first two goals were "Jim Smith goals", and it really struck a chord. One of my abiding memories of Steve Mac in his previous stint at the club is some MotD footage of a game when we drubbed Southampton 4-0 at PP in the Premiership. The fourth goal was banged in by Lee Carsley of all people, at the end of a flowing move similar to some of yesterday's best, and the BBC cameras showed McClaren's face in the dugout with an expression that was somewhere between unbridled joy and sheer astonishment. If he can bring that kind of football back then I might just buy my first season ticket since the mid-90s - we'll lose some, but we'll win more, and more importantly when we do we'll want to watch the goals over and over.

I have been taking my nine year old son to see the Rams, now and again, since he was about two. He has always enjoyed the experience, but rarely been all that bothered about the football. This afternoon we went for a kick about at the local park, and he wanted to be Will Hughes one minute, Chris Martin the next. That's a first. He's hooked.

Not a blind faither, far from it. But optimistic. Makes a change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mue2vnJvA_I

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they are particularly. We didn't do anything yesterday that we haven't been doing all season. We played nice football through the middle, struggled a bit with the final ball and looked very iffy at the back. The biggest difference is that leeds are nowhere near as good as reading, burnley and Leicester. Their defence looked very ropey, and most importantly they tried to play football against us, rather than just sitting deep and stopping us playing. We took our chances and got away with the mistakes we made, that's it.

Entirely agree with this and is also why NC deserved these two home games. However, getting points at home will the players confidence and hopefully that will carry them games against better teams.  

Don't think our defending was that bad. I saw one glaring mistake from Keogh in that video and the rest of their chances were all from Grant's errors or potshots from 25-30 yards out. Nothing to be exceptionally worried about in there for me.

But....but....Bucko....

Serious? I thought Ward was brilliant. Ran at his man really well and put some dangerous balls into the box. The best he's played this season, worked very well in the front 3

I thought he had a couple of good runs. I remember two in the first half.

The rest of the game I thought he ran away from support a bit. Could have kept things far more simple. I thought Russell was doing what I expect from Ward.

Looking forward to watching it again now.

One thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how McClaren improves the forwards. Sammon and Bennett in particular will come on leaps and bounds. McClaren worked absolute wonders with Dean Sturridge back in the 90s, mainly teaching him to use his backside to move defenders out of the way and spin them.

Was anyone aware of their Mowatt kid? Apparently, he's their version of Will Hughes (same age too). I've seen a few people (both Derby and Leeds fans) saying he had a really good game but not one of their players really stuck out to me :wacko:

Was anyone aware of their Mowatt kid? Apparently, he's their version of Will Hughes (same age too). I've seen a few people (both Derby and Leeds fans) saying he had a really good game but not one of their players really stuck out to me :wacko:

I read something on their website about the game with about 5 fans saying he was their best player Saturday. Honestly didn't even notice him.

I read something on their website about the game with about 5 fans saying he was their best player Saturday. Honestly didn't even notice him.

There's a world of difference between being Leeds' best player and Will Hughes having a 'slightly better than average for Will' game.

Archived