Sam Rush's side of the story

HeyHudson

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing for me is "just Google the board, it's easy to see their wealth".

Brilliant!

So why do we need to sell our better players to pay for others?

Why not just get the best? Isn't that the only way? SR & MC say we want top 6, we want promotion.. How many of say we couldn't compete in the Prem cos the squads not good enough?

Don't be boasting about their wealth Mr Rush if they're not prepared to spend the bugger.

Show us you mean it!

I know Nigel thanked the fans, but he hasn't said nothing regarding Rushs comments about having money to spend (but refusing to spend it...).

I argued for months with certain posters on here about Clough having had funds available, Rush comes out and says practically the same. If Nigel was working on such a limited budget, then why was he refusing to spend it when some was indeed available? Why isn't he denying Sam Rushs comments about funds being available? Seen so many posts saying he's "one of us", why isn't he warning us all against the ownership and Rush then?

And surely if you're working on such a limited budget, you'll take the opportunity to spend whilst you can.

Asmuch as I've disliked Rush in the past he's won me over with the decision and I'm especially happy with the improvement of Steele over Martin lard arse Taylor. Who cares how Nigel was sacked? He is a grown man, he will walk into another job if he's good enough. Plus how much did he receive in being paid off? There's people out there who lose there job unfairly, earning a damn Bananas less than Nigel was, shell we all clap and cry over them n'all? Billy Davies got us into a play off final and the Premiership first time of asking, he was later sacked within five months of the season (when it was clear we were certs for relegation anyway), do you sympathise towards him too? Didn't think so.

The amount of people I've seen comment about Nigel "being too nice", absolute bull. Ask Cywka, ask Green, ask Leacock, hell ask Billy Davies. He's a grown man, since when does a nice personality win a football match? The only gripe I have is Rush hiring Gibson (coincidentally) to ask the questions, instead of growing some balls and going on RD this past Monday.

How much money was and is available?

£300k in fees and £300k on the wage bill?

£700k and £500k on the wage bill?

£3m and £1.5m on the wage bill?

If it was the former then I can understand NC holding onto it till xmas to see what's needed, if it's the latter then he should have bought one or two more players.

I suspect the funds available are somewhere towards the middle amount, but this wasn't available until he had offloaded Tyson etc which was too late for the summer window. However we will never know how much and nor will we know if the funds available to McLaren are in any way different.  

How much money was and is available?

£300k in fees and £300k on the wage bill?

£700k and £500k on the wage bill?

£3m and £1.5m on the wage bill?

If it was the former then I can understand NC holding onto it till xmas to see what's needed, if it's the latter then he should have bought one or two more players.

I suspect the funds available are somewhere towards the middle amount, but this wasn't available until he had offloaded Tyson etc which was too late for the summer window. However we will never know how much and nor will we know if the funds available to McLaren are in any way different.

why wait till xmas whatever was available; most people knew the need for another CB before a ball was kicked; not wait until 20 games in and we are playing catch up

why wait till xmas whatever was available; most people knew the need for another CB before a ball was kicked; not wait until 20 games in and we are playing catch up

Because he took the view (right or wrong) that we could survive there until OB and maybe Barker got fit. If that's all you have, you can only spend it once, on one player 

Because he took the view (right or wrong) that we could survive there until OB and maybe Barker got fit. If that's all you have, you can only spend it once, on one player

the view we could survive was probably right, however the plan was to get into the top 6 this season, waiting until xmas for two players that arent even if full training, imo is a bit strange

How many times did Clough, Rush and even Glick (when he was here) say that if a player was available at a price they agreed with and improved the team the money was there?

Says to me they couldn't find the right player for the right price. Now it is down to McClaren to find them.

Am I the only one who scratches their head thinking how is it possible to not find good players at this level.

Ulloa was playing second division spanish football, now he is one of the top marksmen in the division. It just seems pretty easy to me, send someone over there to scout for 3 months and you don't need to do that much work - living out in a country, constantly watching football - if someone is good the press pick up on it, if you watch games you know who the good players are.

You watch Hughes for 5 minutes, even having a **** game you can still see his a decent player. 

I don't get it.

So if you're reading Rush, stop nobbing about - give me a job, and I'll pick a couple of non-english speaking gems for cheap. Promise  :)

Am I the only one who scratches their head thinking how is it possible to not find good players at this level.

Ulloa was playing second division spanish football, now he is one of the top marksmen in the division. It just seems pretty easy to me, send someone over there to scout for 3 months and you don't need to do that much work - living out in a country, constantly watching football - if someone is good the press pick up on it, if you watch games you know who the good players are.

You watch Hughes for 5 minutes, even having a **** game you can still see his a decent player.

I don't get it.

So if you're reading Rush, stop nobbing about - give me a job, and I'll pick a couple of non-english speaking gems for cheap. Promise :)

Haha bar tab included in the package?

TobyWanKenobi

I don't get it.

So if you're reading Rush, stop nobbing about - give me a job, and I'll pick a couple of non-english speaking gems for cheap. Promise  :)

I agree with the sentiment, but modern scouting is a little more than "He's pretty good, sign him up."

You need to look into injury records, attitude, personal circumstances, willingness to move or learn a new language, current wage, valuation of the club, and your valuation of the player, coaching references, as well as lots of other info. It's a metric shittone of information, and most of the time you will want to find out that information without letting the club, or any other club know that you are interested.

I think with Clough, and this is not intended as a criticism, quite the opposite, is that he (and his scouting team) tried to play is safe with mainly Scottish and English players. Low risk, low cost. Even the foreign 'gambles' such as Doyle, Gjokaj, and Cwyka were cheap options and therefore very little risk.

It's basic, some say it's a little boring, but it worked for Clough. I'm kind of hoping McClaren brigs us a Kazakhstani striker with an unpronounceable name, who happens to bang in 15-20 a season, for a little added excitement factor.

Maybe he will be a success, maybe he will be a god-awful flop of a manager. I think it's going to be entertaining finding out. Clough is gone, and he's not coming back. Lets cross our fingers, keep attending games and support what we now have.

I agree with the sentiment, but modern scouting is a little more than "He's pretty good, sign him up."

You need to look into injury records, attitude, personal circumstances, willingness to move or learn a new language, current wage, valuation of the club, and your valuation of the player, coaching references, as well as lots of other info. It's a metric shittone of information, and most of the time you will want to find out that information without letting the club, or any other club know that you are interested.

I think with Clough, and this is not intended as a criticism, quite the opposite, is that he (and his scouting team) tried to play is safe with mainly Scottish and English players. Low risk, low cost. Even the foreign 'gambles' such as Doyle, Gjokaj, and Cwyka were cheap options and therefore very little risk.

It's basic, some say it's a little boring, but it worked for Clough. I'm kind of hoping McClaren brigs us a Kazakhstani striker with an unpronounceable name, who happens to bang in 15-20 a season, for a little added excitement factor.

Maybe he will be a success, maybe he will be a god-awful flop of a manager. I think it's going to be entertaining finding out. Clough is gone, and he's not coming back. Lets cross our fingers, keep attending games and support what we now have.

I think this is where it comes down to risk and reward. If the club are willing to back McClaren with a bigger scouting budget (let alone transfer/wage budget) then it's clear you can pick up some excellent signings. However, the risk is a lot higher because the English game and lifestyle is so different.

I'm not certain if McClaren's track record is quite so hot at unearthing hidden gems but with the right network in place you'd hope that it would be possible. I personally don't want an influx, one or two different players to give us an edge would suit me fine.

TobyWanKenobi

Of course, they need to be the right players, but I think under Clough we were missing a little flair and attacking substitutions. McClaren has a record of swapping defenders for strikers in games where he is down, which is something Clough always seemed reluctant to do.

I backed Clough to the hilt when he was at Derby, and I fully bought in to the prudent approach which was adopted under the circumstances. However, the club got rid of Clough and in doing so, changed the rules. Consequently, I have now got rid of my rule of buying in to the prudent approach (two can play at that game).

Get your bloody hands in your pockets, you board members, or feck off out of Derby.

So clough had a budget around the middle and that's where we finished. So as we thought he was a pretty average manager and did what you would expect with the wage bill on offer. The club have decided they want someone to do better. I don't see what is wrong with that. How has clough been treated so badly? Im sorry of we had been this average under anyone else but a clough people wouldn't be bothered.

Given everything SM has said so far it appears obvious to me what is to occur. Our wage and transfer budget will not increase and is as high as it will be in the immediate future. SM will have funds to spend based on certain players being sold. However let us put that to one side.

It seems as though, potentially, in January on-words, our match day squad of 18 could be made up by 1/4 of players on loan and up to a 1/3 of young home grown players. While unwanted and unused players will leave to free up more wages. Our future incoming players (loans) will be experienced players and highly rated youngsters from top clubs. We will continue to pick up young players and put them into our academy, but our reach and search will be much more broader. The other incoming players will be mostly free transfers and the cheap buys no-one has heard of from international leagues. This strategy will allow us to save funds for the special buys that form the core of your team.

The issue, is if we get promoted. We could get promoted with mostly 18 players of which as mentioned 1/4 are not our own (loans) and 1/3 are young home grown players. Our squad would be far too small and weak. The reason I have mostly objected to loans like Clough did is because of the uncertainty it brings. If every season Clough had 5 signings on loan for the season in his starting line up, he would have had his budget slashed yet again. The problem is the players who would come on loan would be out of our reach. For example, the club would not want to loan out there player again and we could not afford to buy them or pay their wages. Every season he would then have to find replacements in the first team for the hole the 5 loans have left. This model just completely works against stability. 

So clough had a budget around the middle and that's where we finished. So as we thought he was a pretty average manager and did what you would expect with the wage bill on offer. The club have decided they want someone to do better. I don't see what is wrong with that. How has clough been treated so badly? Im sorry of we had been this average under anyone else but a clough people wouldn't be bothered.

The sacking I won't argue about. I'm angry about it and I think it's harsh but I won't argue he didn't have time and I won't argue against anyone who says he deserved to go.

Again what sickens me is the way it's been done, even now what kind of bullshit is coming out of our CEO's mouth?

We might have a budget bang in the middle now. Although again I'm flabbergasted by Sam Rush when he says in his former position he would get to learn of budgets. I'm going to take a another look into his bio to see where and when that would be possible.

I'd imagine he'd know how to benchmark a salary, but knowing the layout of every single team in the divisions budget? That's a massive claim to make.

If I were a journalist representing the fans of Derby County I'd want to see the budget confirmed and compared. Sam Rush knows we have a budget that is BANG IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS DIVISION. He knows that because in his previous position he knew team budgets.

Where was our budget for the last 4 years Sam? Was it bang mid table then as well?

I'd also say it's been widely quoted in the press and on here that there was to be a significant increase in the budget THIS SEASON to give NIgel the tools he needed.

If there has been an increase then you have to say it was lower than mid table before then.

If he finished 10th on a lower than mid table budget then he's done alright.

Come on lads, be fair, if he's got a mid table budget this season, you can hardly say he's failed, when he got sacked the season hadn't finished yet, in fact it was only 9 games old, we'd lost to 5 out of the top 8.

I'm not angry that he;s not here anymore. I'll keep watching this team.

I just won't stay quiet when people are clearly having cheap digs.

If you want me to stop "defending him" and you want to me to "get a grip and move on ffs" then stop finding reasons to keep having a go.

Move on, you'll have enough to analyse when Steve splits the squad down the middle by bringing in the real quality players, you know the ones we don't have, the flair foreigner you're all in a hurry to see.

Sam Rush has got to go.

The sacking I won't argue about. I'm angry about it and I think it's harsh but I won't argue he didn't have time and I won't argue against anyone who says he deserved to go.

Again what sickens me is the way it's been done, even now what kind of bullshit is coming out of our CEO's mouth?

We might have a budget bang in the middle now. Although again I'm flabbergasted by Sam Rush when he says in his former position he would get to learn of budgets. I'm going to take a another look into his bio to see where and when that would be possible.

I'd imagine he'd know how to benchmark a salary, but knowing the layout of every single team in the divisions budget? That's a massive claim to make.

If I were a journalist representing the fans of Derby County I'd want to see the budget confirmed and compared. Sam Rush knows we have a budget that is BANG IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS DIVISION. He knows that because in his previous position he knew team budgets.

Where was our budget for the last 4 years Sam? Was it bang mid table then as well?

I'd also say it's been widely quoted in the press and on here that there was to be a significant increase in the budget THIS SEASON to give NIgel the tools he needed.

If there has been an increase then you have to say it was lower than mid table before then.

If he finished 10th on a lower than mid table budget then he's done alright.

Come on lads, be fair, if he's got a mid table budget this season, you can hardly say he's failed, when he got sacked the season hadn't finished yet, in fact it was only 9 games old, we'd lost to 5 out of the top 8.

I'm not angry that he;s not here anymore. I'll keep watching this team.

I just won't stay quiet when people are clearly having cheap digs.

If you want me to stop "defending him" and you want to me to "get a grip and move on ffs" then stop finding reasons to keep having a go.

Move on, you'll have enough to analyse when Steve splits the squad down the middle by bringing in the real quality players, you know the ones we don't have, the flair foreigner you're all in a hurry to see.

Sam Rush has got to go.

I imagine most of the clubs in the league will publish accounts which are in the public domain, although playing staff wages will not be explicitly stated they must surely give a good indicator of how Derbys budget compares.

Really cannot get over how badly you have taken this Ronnie. Managers and boards come and go but the club will always remain the same. Stop over analysing things that we will never have the full facts to understand and just stick to getting behind the club we all love.

Archived