Sam Rush's side of the story

HeyHudson

At the risk of dragging the whole Rush/Clough saga into yet another thread, Sean Taylor is tweeting some choice snippets of Sam Rush's side of the story

Sam Rush: "Money was available for Nigel (Clough) to spend but he chose not to spend it" #dcfc #dcfcfans

Sam Rush said sporting director idea was "discussed" with Clough & put to him several times in past but he resisted the idea #dcfc #dcfcfans

I wonder if Clough will come out at some point with his side. My feeling is that he won't, as he appears quite a private man and I don't think he'd want to drag it all out.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See also this article:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-rams-chief-playing-catch-103431327--sow.html

"But one of the key ways we can compete, or make the playing field more even, is through the recruitment of talent.

"I'm looking forward to a player coming in who I have never heard of and thinking wow! A player who has been scouted with the network of contacts we have at the club."

Suggests to me that they were getting a bit fed up of Clough's brother doing all the scouting from a B&B in Scotland.

At the risk of dragging the whole Rush/Clough saga into yet another thread, Sean Taylor is tweeting some choice snippets of Sam Rush's side of the story

Sam Rush: "Money was available for Nigel (Clough) to spend but he chose not to spend it" #dcfc #dcfcfans

Sam Rush said sporting director idea was "discussed" with Clough & put to him several times in past but he resisted the idea #dcfc #dcfcfans

I wonder if Clough will come out at some point with his side. My feeling is that he won't, as he appears quite a private man and I don't think he'd want to drag it all out.

Hope Not. It's time for all this to finish. Are you listening Sam?

Thought that Wilson was muted before Rush was even appointed. Yep. just checked it. Glick tried to appojnt Glick in Feb 2012. Rush came in in September 2012. Surprised he has been here that long really.

He's not - he was selected in September 2012, but he didn't actually start in the job until Jan 1st 2013, so he's not been here a year yet

I'm staying angry, It could get interesting around here. I'll be keen to see how quick people are to defend my right to have an opinion and to remind those who hammer me that I'm allowed that opinion. For four and half years that's all i heard when people were dishing out insults left right and centre.

Mostyn for example took a fair bit if stick, but stuck to his guns, stuck around and never once waivered.

I'm the new Mostyn. I cannot agree with this appointment, I don't care that he's allegedly a highly respected coach, all I remember are the moments of complete buffoonery, all I remember are the three times he's walked away from a club because he feels he cant do any more, I'm not counting the times he was asked to leave. I'm talking about the times he bottled it and left early.

I'm seeing Sam Rush grinning and sucking in breath every 15 seconds mid sentence, I see him trying to justify the underhand way in which he behaved and I'm seeing him trying to hide that underhandness by twisting and turning with his words.

Nige resisted change?

Yet in the same article it says it was never discussed between him and Nigel during the few months they worked together but that it was always in the pipeline???

So he's fired him for resisting a change he didn't even propose?

Honestly, I don't think he's told the truth much at all. Since he bottled speaking on Saturday and then stage screened a club fed interview on Sunday.

Keane is lined up to come in, it's announced he;s coming, yet now he's got more chance of coming due to Steves relationship with Man Utd? Hang on, was he already lined up or not? Was Whitbread already lined up or not. Sam had the list, Whitbread was on that list?

Keep digging Sam. Keep digging.

You'll be sacked before the start of next season and so will the team you brought in. 

The one thing I really don't like seeing though is the lack of questioning, the lack of disgust or the lack of belief in what he's saying now when it's clear that every second since he's walked through the door he's been spouting ********.

I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if they'd brought in an out of work ridiculed ex manager who had to take a job in coaching to get back into football,  if it wasn't for the McClaren name and his connections to the club? Sound familiar.

As well as that, when we were 4-1 down last night it was STILL cloughs fault. Then 45 minutes later McClaren the mastermind ALREADY HAS FIXED THE ISSUES IT TOOK NIGE 5 YEARS TO FIX. (and he didn't fix it he actually made it worse).

Now if he's tactically brilliant enough to spot waht's wrong, to fix it and to pull back a 3 goal deficit after just a 5 minute team talk, I don't want to hear anymore that he needs time to settle in and get to know the squad,

NO excuses for not smashing Leeds at the weekend then eh? 

The messiah is here, he didn't even need time to bed in before totally transforming the team of clowns Clough left behind.

I'm staying angry, It could get interesting around here. I'll be keen to see how quick people are to defend my right to have an opinion and to remind those who hammer me that I'm allowed that opinion. For four and half years that's all i heard when people were dishing out insults left right and centre.

Mostyn for example took a fair bit if stick, but stuck to his guns, stuck around and never once waivered.

I'm the new Mostyn. I cannot agree with this appointment,

etc

You know what Ronnie – I think if I was a betting man I'd be backing your horse over backing McClaren being a success.

But, like most of the fans, we think that giving the new guy a chance is part of football.

What I will say though is, sit tight because I think if this doesn't go well, and doesn't go well quickly then the backlash against Rush and co is going to make the Anti-Clough brigade look like Friends of the Earth.

He will have heard the "Sack The Board" chants at 4-1 last night and this morning he'll be counting his lucky stars that we pulled it off in the end. How many lives does Goatman's cat have?

Maybe we might see the new Igor arrive in January?

Knowing our luck it'll be a Maurico Solis.

The Mauricio Solis who won 110 international caps? That's 10 times as many games as he played for Derby. Must have done something right somewhere along the way. I remember watching him in the 2002 World Cup and he was superb. Perhaps he just didn't travel well. Mind you, in the days when he was at Derby we had the silly 'non-EU' restriction, so his appearances were limited. I think his main role was to keep Wanchope happy.

I'm the new Mostyn. I cannot agree with this appointment, I don't care that he's allegedly a highly respected coach, all I remember are the moments of complete buffoonery, all I remember are the three times he's walked away from a club because he feels he cant do any more, I'm not counting the times he was asked to leave. I'm talking about the times he bottled it and left early.

I'm seeing Sam Rush grinning and sucking in breath every 15 seconds mid sentence, I see him trying to justify the underhand way in which he behaved and I'm seeing him trying to hide that underhandness by twisting and turning with his words.

Nige resisted change?

Yet in the same article it says it was never discussed between him and Nigel during the few months they worked together but that it was always in the pipeline???

So he's fired him for resisting a change he didn't even propose?

Honestly, I don't think he's told the truth much at all. Since he bottled speaking on Saturday and then stage screened a club fed interview on Sunday.

Keane is lined up to come in, it's announced he;s coming, yet now he's got more chance of coming due to Steves relationship with Man Utd? Hang on, was he already lined up or not? Was Whitbread already lined up or not. Sam had the list, Whitbread was on that list?

Keep digging Sam. Keep digging.

You'll be sacked before the start of next season and so will the team you brought in. 

The one thing I really don't like seeing though is the lack of questioning, the lack of disgust or the lack of belief in what he's saying now when it's clear that every second since he's walked through the door he's been spouting ********.

I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if they'd brought in an out of work ridiculed ex manager who had to take a job in coaching to get back into football,  if it wasn't for the McClaren name and his connections to the club? Sound familiar.

As well as that, when we were 4-1 down last night it was STILL cloughs fault. Then 45 minutes later McClaren the mastermind ALREADY HAS FIXED THE ISSUES IT TOOK NIGE 5 YEARS TO FIX. (and he didn't fix it he actually made it worse).

Now if he's tactically brilliant enough to spot waht's wrong, to fix it and to pull back a 3 goal deficit after just a 5 minute team talk, I don't want to hear anymore that he needs time to settle in and get to know the squad,

NO excuses for not smashing Leeds at the weekend then eh? 

The messiah is here, he didn't even need time to bed in before totally transforming the team of clowns Clough left behind.

I'm with you Ronnie, it is a bad way to go about things and I'm very disappointed about the way Clough was treated. That is unfortunately how football operates these days (as with most business too I would suspect). I posted somewhere else that this may actually be a blessing in disguise for Clough's long-term legacy. In a way, although he didn't get chance to try and finish what he started leaving at this point might actually be the best thing for his long-term relationship with Derby fans in the main.

Whatever happens with McClaren, Clough is now largely removed from any chance of failure. I'm sure he would have preferred the chance to see it through to the end, whatever that may have been but perhaps in the long-term it's for the best in terms of his relationship with the fans.

However, we are where we are and most people will move on because that's football. If McClaren does succeed (and I happen to think he's got a decent chance given the foundations he's got to work with) then all will be forgotten. That's not to say the way Clough was treated is right but sadly it's a cold world.

I wouldn't blame you for being angry about the way Clough was treated you can stay angry about it, why don't you write to Rush and tell him what you think?

In reality though, we're Derby fans, we're used to this kind of nonsense and most people will give McClaren a chance, until they decide otherwise and their opinion won't change and we'll go round the BMO merry-go-round again!

I'm with you Ronnie, it is a bad way to go about things and I'm very disappointed about the way Clough was treated. That is unfortunately how football operates these days (as with most business too I would suspect). I posted somewhere else that this may actually be a blessing in disguise for Clough's long-term legacy. In a way, although he didn't get chance to try and finish what he started leaving at this point might actually be the best thing for his long-term relationship with Derby fans in the main.

Whatever happens with McClaren, Clough is now largely removed from any chance of failure. I'm sure he would have preferred the chance to see it through to the end, whatever that may have been but perhaps in the long-term it's for the best in terms of his relationship with the fans.

However, we are where we are and most people will move on because that's football. If McClaren does succeed (and I happen to think he's got a decent chance given the foundations he's got to work with) then all will be forgotten. That's not to say the way Clough was treated is right but sadly it's a cold world.

I wouldn't blame you for being angry about the way Clough was treated you can stay angry about it, why don't you write to Rush and tell him what you think?

In reality though, we're Derby fans, we're used to this kind of nonsense and most people will give McClaren a chance, until they decide otherwise and their opinion won't change and we'll go round the BMO merry-go-round again!

I did, two months ago. I wrote and thanked him for being honest and open. I wrote and told him I wanted to thank him and the board for putting up with crap from fans who were too impatient and who didn't value the way the club was trying to do things.

I wrote and told him I was proud to be following such a club, with such a board.

I'll post the email on here if no-one believes me. I wrote that he didn't need to take time out hif busy schedule to reply, he didn't reply but I guess now that he was too busy doing that review of footballing opertaions, the review that he didn't speak to the manager about at all.

That's what has totally floored me.

I'm angry as much that he managed to totally con me, I'm angry that every time he's been in front a microphone he hasn't told the truth and I'm angry at him for risking the hard work over the past few years on a dream that's his, when I don't believe he's  either a)qualified or b)earned the right to make that decision.

As I said before, if it was Sam Rush who fixed the club then I would have no arguments whatsoever about him making this decision. he didn't have to go through 4 years of crap to get to the stage he's at now.

I've been around football enough to know that every single manager leaves at some point. I know that, I'm not a child.

I am not negative at all about the squad and won't be, again please don't confuse the two issues. Even the last few months, most of my posts are defending/backing the squad of players. if you ignore that and throw the cheap  and classless label of a Clough lover, then you're being a bit narrow minded and selective in what you choose to read.

I love the players, I'm very very fond of Derby County football team, but the Club/Board for me can feck off. Until they're gone I don't think I'll change my stance.

Whilst every one has opinions on either side of the fence. And it maybe a poor comparison to some. When John Gregory got the chop after getting smashed 3-0 by Forest all them years ago, wasn't George Burley installed straight away?

Does anyone think John Gregory was treated shabbily? Even though I was no fan of him I thought he was treated far worse than Cloughy ever was. Made to wait for his compensation package and tinted with other issues that wasn't proven. Love or loathe Gregory, thought he was treated harshly by the then board.

And add to that the board must off tapped Burley up weeks before it happened to get him to come straight away.

TobyWanKenobi

The Mauricio Solis who won 110 international caps? That's 10 times as many games as he played for Derby. Must have done something right somewhere along the way. I remember watching him in the 2002 World Cup and he was superb. Perhaps he just didn't travel well. Mind you, in the days when he was at Derby we had the silly 'non-EU' restriction, so his appearances were limited. I think his main role was to keep Wanchope happy.

Solis was a victim of the '3 non-EU players' rule.

We had Stimac, Asanovic, Wanchope, Poom and Solis. We could only use three of them at a time I think.

A good point - except Gregory was essentially removed because he failed miserably.

Clough wasn't removed for failing, he was removed for not progressing fast enough

We will agree and disagree with Clough as I imagine others will, just my main point is the last point, everyone draws up a list even before the current manager gets moved on. Well except for Sunderland by the looks of it!

See also this article:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-rams-chief-playing-catch-103431327--sow.html

"But one of the key ways we can compete, or make the playing field more even, is through the recruitment of talent.

"I'm looking forward to a player coming in who I have never heard of and thinking wow! A player who has been scouted with the network of contacts we have at the club."

Suggests to me that they were getting a bit fed up of Clough's brother doing all the scouting from a B&B in Scotland.

What a load of rubbish...I was even more tired of seeing players under previous regimes who I've never heard of and thinking what a stupid pointless signing

Whilst I agree you should use all your scouting networks, it's the manager decision as to who he feels would fit into the team

As Nigel said before, they also made sure the player would fit into the ethos and attitude of the overall team by speaking to the players about their plans

I'm not against a sporting director in theory but the final decision should always be the managers

I've been around football enough to know that every single manager leaves at some point. I know that, I'm not a child.

I am not negative at all about the squad and won't be, again please don't confuse the two issues. Even the last few months, most of my posts are defending/backing the squad of players. if you ignore that and throw the cheap  and classless label of a Clough lover, then you're being a bit narrow minded and selective in what you choose to read.

I love the players, I'm very very fond of Derby County football team, but the Club/Board for me can feck off. Until they're gone I don't think I'll change my stance.

Just checking. Are you suggesting that I have labelled you with these things?

That's how it comes across. Maybe you weren't but maybe you need to re-read what I actually wrote in the first place!

For the record, I agree with you about all the above. It's classless and disappointing given the way in which I felt proud about the club had bucked the trend and stuck by the plan they so readily bragged about. I was shocked initially but as time has passed I'm not that shocked because the signs were there under the surface and I feel a bit foolish for thinking that Derby would buck the trend for long.

Time will tell whether getting McClaren as a replacement is the right move but in your initial post you're pretty much stating he's not going to get your support because you don't rate him. Is that not similar to your criticisms of those that turned on Clough?

Just pointing out a slight contradiction there. It's not really McClaren's fault he's Clough's replacement and as a Derby fan he'll have my support, unless I think he's undoing the good work done by Nigel and his team.

What a load of rubbish...I was even more tired of seeing players under previous regimes who I've never heard of and thinking what a stupid pointless signing

Whilst I agree you should use all your scouting networks, it's the manager decision as to who he feels would fit into the team

As Nigel said before, they also made sure the player would fit into the ethos and attitude of the overall team by speaking to the players about their plans

I'm not against a sporting director in theory but the final decision should always be the managers

I think the point is, under clough we didn't really have a scouting network (apart from his brother)

Archived