Who do you think made this decision

sage

Wouldn't surprise me if they thought that they could play on the negative emotional response of losing today as a way of blunting the impact of sacking Nigel. It's cynical, it's two-faced, it's gutless, therefore it's probably true.....

That's my fear too but I don't want to believe it. I don't like people who are underhand in their dealings.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoevers idea it was, I think they've misjudged the timing of it, aswell as the mood after it was announced.

Did they think that if we lost to Forest today the mood would be such that nobody would be bothered by Nigel going? That they could quietly announce it and go about their business like nothing had happened?

Pfft.

derby haven't performed anywhere near as bad as millwall did against us this season, and look what lomas has done since!

That's my fear too but I don't want to believe it. I don't like people who are underhand in their dealings.

There's no good way of looking at it unfortunately. The timing is either incredibly cynical, or incredibly naive and clueless. Either way, ugly traits for someone who holds such power at our club.

Wouldn't surprise me if they thought that they could play on the negative emotional response of losing today as a way of blunting the impact of sacking Nigel. It's cynical, it's two-faced, it's gutless, therefore it's probably true.....

I fear you are right. It's only going to be a good decision if his successor can hit the ground running. If we really do have someone lined up, I think it's time to worry as I don't see too many "out of work" options. surely, we're not going to replace NC with the likes of Pulis, Warnock or McClaren, are we?

I'll answer that...Yes.

Still **** timing, no need sacking him after a defeat to our biggest rivals, his old club, his dads old club, with that w anchor billy davies giving it the biggun - sorry, clubs gone down in my estimation. 

Sack him if you must - but not today. :(

derby haven't performed anywhere near as bad as millwall did against us this season, and look what lomas has done since!

Difference is that the height of Milwall's ambition is to finish mid table - they're expecting some really poor performances along the way just as long as they manage to keep themselves out of real trouble.

It's not a like for like situation. Lomas has been in charge about 9 games in total, Clough.. err however many it said on the stats.

If your being serious that is very interesting.maybe they were waiting for a time in which the clough haters in numbers were there highest and loosing to the red dogs always creates a couple

Perfectly serious. It might have been small talk, but it struck me as a strange opening gambit.

After nine games we have as many points as we collected in our entire glorious relegation season.

At that time we had money to spend which helped us not at all.

After a sacking young Nigel, untested at Championship level, stepped into the breach.

Was never given any real money for players but achieved mid table mediocrity with cheap or loan players.

He has had no support from the top table at all.

Seen any player with promise linked immediately with other clubs.

Had to watch the loan section and bargain basement to plug gaps in a leaking ship.

Shoulder blame for decisions outside his remit.

So who decided to let him go???

SAM LONGSON  RUSH!!!!!

After nine games we have as many points as we collected in our entire glorious relegation season.

At that time we had money to spend which helped us not at all.

After a sacking young Nigel, untested at Championship level, stepped into the breach.

Was never given any real money for players but achieved mid table mediocrity with cheap or loan players.

He has had no support from the top table at all.

Seen any player with promise linked immediately with other clubs.

Had to watch the loan section and bargain basement to plug gaps in a leaking ship.

Shoulder blame for decisions outside his remit.

So who decided to let him go???

SAM LONGSON  RUSH!!!!!

Spot on mate not the first time we have agreed either think we must be twins .

Would love to know a certain Graham Richards thoughts on this and the timing of it.

Sorry but is it just me who's missing the similarity between Nigel's sacking and his Dad resigning?

The timing may not be great and the many may have a problem with the manner it was done, but other than them being father and son, what's the link?

Sacking a manager who is coming up to 5 years in charge for not being able to take the club any further is not the same as what happened to Brian Clough.

All I care about now is who this new man is. He doesn't have to take us into the play-offs this season but he has to be better and he has to show he is the right man.

There is no good time to sack a manager but this strikes me as extremely cynical. As anyone will know reading my posts over time I have never been a fan of Clough and I am glad his time is up. However, it has been handled very badly by the club and does them no credit at all. Whatever his faults, he deserved better.

One thing I don't get is why sack him after this game, I'm not his biggest fan, but given the history between the two clubs and of course his dad, surely it would have been better to do it after Tuesday or the next loss.

This game will now be remembered as the end, rather than some shitty meaningless game, which in which truth be told meant more to him that we probably know; poor timing IMO, and I wanted him out :-(

Ever thought that to the owners its just another game of football, with no real idea of it meaning, to real fans, and i believe the decision was made b4 the game anyway,,. especially if someone is already in place 

Just a guess on my behalf, but to me it shows its just a business to them.

I will be interested to see the next step in their business model, to make us a Global Brand'

I dont post very often but i really dont get why everyone is so up in arms about the timing. Both Clough and Rush said we wanted to be top 6, we are now 14th. Clough deserves credit for turning the club around and getting us on a sound footing but weve trodden water for a year now.

The board, primarily led by Rush no doubt have seen a continuation of the yo yo results of last year where we could just as easily win three in a row as lose three in a row.

They have no doubt seen a total lack of any plan b, a lack of nous when choosing to make subs if any, and possibly most theyve seen a lack of leadership with the manager stood on the touchline, arms folded as we lose again.

The fact weve played Forest is irrelevsnt as is the possibility weve sounded out other managers, the board have been decisive, seen we have two home games and have acted.

Thats football, and as for all this workibg with one hand tied behind his back, so what, thats what he and all hid staff are paid for, they knew the score.

We shouldnt be mad at tge board for wanted to get someobe who can deliver a top 6 challenge on a mid table budget

Nor should we forget the cobtribution clough made, for me the timing is spot on, lets move forward

COYR

The owners will not be bothered as much as us about his surname.

Yes, I understand they gave him longer because he was cost cutting, but I think last season was his proving season as most of them players were his. He finished on an artificial high in my opinion. (Ok, the league can't lie, but you know what I mean)

This season, the away form has helped, the home form, and the falling attendances with arguably the lowest ticket prices for individual games for ages has hit the club in the pocket.

Couple this with the forecasted annual loss that we make has, in my opinion, made the investors look past the history behind the Clough name.

His demeanour on the bench wouldn't inspire me as an investor, never mind a player, he's reportedly a very stand off'ish person and falls out with players he's spent investors money on and freezes them out.

If I was an investor, (well as a season ticket holder, I guess I kinda am) I would have to agree with the sacking.

To sum up, he doesn't inspire, he slates players in public, he can't seem to change things during a match, his back room staff are all there because they are mates, and not because of ability, in my opinion.

I'm sorry that he's gone, but I think it was coming, and we all thought he would never leave, never mind get the sack.

I'm glad we gave him a chance to lead us, but, sadly, it wasn't to be.

The owners will not be bothered as much as us about his surname.

Yes, I understand they gave him longer because he was cost cutting, but I think last season was his proving season as most of them players were his. He finished on an artificial high in my opinion. (Ok, the league can't lie, but you know what I mean)

This season, the away form has helped, the home form, and the falling attendances with arguably the lowest ticket prices for individual games for ages has hit the club in the pocket.

Couple this with the forecasted annual loss that we make has, in my opinion, made the investors look past the history behind the Clough name.

His demeanour on the bench wouldn't inspire me as an investor, never mind a player, he's reportedly a very stand off'ish person and falls out with players he's spent investors money on and freezes them out.

If I was an investor, (well as a season ticket holder, I guess I kinda am) I would have to agree with the sacking.

To sum up, he doesn't inspire, he slates players in public, he can't seem to change things during a match, his back room staff are all there because they are mates, and not because of ability, in my opinion.

I'm sorry that he's gone, but I think it was coming, and we all thought he would never leave, never mind get the sack.

I'm glad we gave him a chance to lead us, but, sadly, it wasn't to be.

Spot on. Some have concerns over the timing but I think they had lost all confidence in him. If we have aspirations to challenge the we need 6 points this week 3 or less would be the end in their minds. Thanks Nigel and good luck

Sorry but is it just me who's missing the similarity between Nigel's sacking and his Dad resigning?

The timing may not be great and the many may have a problem with the manner it was done, but other than them being father and son, what's the link?

Sacking a manager who is coming up to 5 years in charge for not being able to take the club any further is not the same as what happened to Brian Clough.

All I care about now is who this new man is. He doesn't have to take us into the play-offs this season but he has to be better and he has to show he is the right man.

I won't get into a massive dicsussion but it's this bit that concerns me here Wilko and not just from you.

If the new man doesn't need to get us in the play offs this season then why the hell did we sack the old one? I'm reading from people saying the new man doesnt need ot get us up he just needs to have us playing decent football.

Or is it going to be a story of the blame continuing and this seasons already being ruined by Clough so the new guy is not having much chance at all to get us there?

The new guy has to get us top 6 or close to it, otherwise what was the point of change?

I'm looking forward to it, I've heard for long enough that it's just NC holding us back, I'm ready to watch the Derby County machine unleashed.

Archived