Fed up of Clough

rammieib

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That list shows that we have had very few good managers post war, Brian Clough Dave Mackay, Arthur Cox and Jim Smith.

Billy Davies, George Burley could also be though of as this, but they are debatable unlike the top 4.

When you look at it like that, post war Clough's probably our 6th or 7th best manager. 

This is not about personalities its about achievement. The debt is close to what it was when he took over, the league position is close to where it was when he took over, the gates have dropped by nearly 10,000 since he took over, he has only managed to win approx 1/3 of the games he has played, other managers appointed elsewhere since he took over have taken a fraction of the time he has to positively affect their clubs ( eg Dyche, Lambert, Holloway, Poyet, Zola, Howe, Robbins )

Its easy to dismiss critics of the current set up as plastic fans or glory hunters ( i know what a joke ) but of the 20 odd supporters i know who are currently staying away they are all mature, passionate, long standing rams fans.

Cloughs fault for falling attendances? That's probably the best one yet! Nothing to do with us having 10,000 glory hunting fickle fans then?

Surely as performances and league positions have improved we we would expect that to be mirrored in our attendances ?

I know people that are staying away because of Clough. Whether that makes them fickle or not is irrelevant as their money is as good as yours!

I know people that are staying away because of Clough. Whether that makes them fickle or not is irrelevant as their money is as good as yours!

So would they not watch if Clough got us promoted?

Surprised someone as intelligent as you would fall for the 'I'm not going while Clough is here line'

A rough translation of what that really means is 'I don't want to sit watching Championship football when I can sit at home watching Premier League on Sky. I'll come back to Pride Park if we get promoted'

Surprised someone as intelligent as you would fall for the 'I'm not going while Clough is here line'

A rough translation of what that really means is 'I don't want to sit watching Championship football when I can sit at home watching Premier League on Sky. I'll come back to Pride Park if we get promoted'

I'm surprised someone as intelligent as you would put the words "Clough" and "promoted" in the same sentence without the words "would never get us"!!

I think it's very ignorant and disrespectful of you to even suggest that people would give false reasons for staying away. I stayed away for about two seasons of the 3 amigos, and didn't come to Pride Park until Ted McMinn's testimonial. It was nothing to do with sitting at home or waiting for promotion.

You need to learn to acknowledge that some people would rather not pay money to watch a bloke who's about as inspiring as watching wood, sitting with his chin in his hands whilst struggling to grasp the tactical concepts of football.

My old man hasn't renewed and it's nothing to do with being in the Championship. I wish I'd kept all his post match texts. Inevitably near the start of the season there'd be some going on about how great we're playing and him claiming it was the best football he's ever seen us play. A few months later and they would change to annoyed texts about how dull the football was and how weak we were and conceded sloppy goals.

He had enough of early promise falling away to poor football and coming away annoyed and having been bored for 90mins. We could stay in the championship for all he cared just as long as he went to the game and watched an entertaining game. He got to the point where more of the season was poor than it was good and stopped. Is he a glory hunter? A fair weather fan?

I'm surprised someone as intelligent as you would put the words "Clough" and "promoted" in the same sentence without the words "would never get us"!!

I think it's very ignorant and disrespectful of you to even suggest that people would give false reasons for staying away. I stayed away for about two seasons of the 3 amigos, and didn't come to Pride Park until Ted McMinn's testimonial. It was nothing to do with sitting at home or waiting for promotion.

You need to learn to acknowledge that some people would rather not pay money to watch a bloke who's about as inspiring as watching wood, sitting with his chin in his hands whilst struggling to grasp the tactical concepts of football.

That is where you and your 'friends' are going wrong. Why would they want to go and watch the manager? Why not watch the game, they would in the main see some pretty good passing football, they would have to be forgiving of the occasional individual error but it is far more interesting in watching the manager, no matter how  well he is doing.

That is where you and your 'friends' are going wrong. Why would they want to go and watch the manager? Why not watch the game, they would in the main see some pretty good passing football, they would have to be forgiving of the occasional individual error but it is far more interesting in watching the manager, no matter how  well he is doing.

don't be facetious!

The 30 odd people I know who haven't renewed over the last few years have stopped as they are generally bored and don't enjoy the football on offer. Maybe these 10,000 are fickle glory hunters but they are still fans who don't want to spend £400 odd on not enjoying what they are watching.

Cloughs fault for falling attendances? That's probably the best one yet! Nothing to do with us having 10,000 glory hunting fickle fans then?

Surely as performances and league positions have improved we we would expect that to be mirrored in our attendances ?

Why have the FICKLE fans stopped going then ?

So they go to the match and sit there watching the manager?

What a waste of £20 or £30.

The 30 odd people I know who haven't renewed over the last few years have stopped as they are generally bored and don't enjoy the football on offer. Maybe these 10,000 are fickle glory hunters but they are still fans who don't want to spend £400 odd on not enjoying what they are watching.

So are you suggesting that the football was more enjoyable with Billy Davies as manager?

Archived