Fed up of Clough

rammieib

Wonder what this 20,000 used to do on a Sat, I don`t suppose the rise is

due in any way to success, and the now left manager.

Brighton 9/10 6,466

12/13 26,236 .

Oh dear..epic fail!

If Nigel had been in charge when we left The Baseball Ground would you have credited him for increasing crowds from 20,000 to 34,000?!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Success is in my opinion the overriding factor , fickle or not does not matter IMHO, gates have fallen at some teams, up in others, but

I bet my bottom dollar that success is the main reason for those that have gone up, and visa versa.

The gates were high in the Third div because we were vying  for the league with Grimsby , Southport, Accrington Stanley etc.

Surely you would agree that if we get in the top six our gates will rise, and have dropped since we have not been, is Nigel not to blame for this in any way ?

PS

I know we were not in the top six when he took over, but in nearly 5 seasons IMHO we should be now

Wonder what this 20,000 used to do on a Sat, I don`t suppose the rise is

due in any way to success, and the now left manager.

Brighton 9/10 6,466

12/13 26,236 .

When did Brighton move into the Amex Smiffy?

I thought they were renting somewhere crappy in Withdean before they made the move. As well as that they were in turmoil for years after they left the Goldstone Ground. They shared with Gillingham for ages and their fans left in droves.

The upturn in fans wasn't just down the the fact they enjoyed a bit of success.

"LX3x1" alt="LX3x1">

The red line is brighton fans. They're just about back to the level they were in 1985. 

So did Brighton have sell out crowds at all their various grounds before the new one, I

say this because that is one of the impressions I get.

Did the fans all return because they could not get in before, or did the return because of Taylor, or Adams , or Poyet.

Success is in my opinion the overriding factor , fickle or not does not matter IMHO, gates have fallen at some teams, up in others, but

I bet my bottom dollar that success is the main reason for those that have gone up, and visa versa.

The gates were high in the Third div because we were vying  for the league with Grimsby , Southport, Accrington Stanley etc.

Surely you would agree that if we get in the top six our gates will rise, and have dropped since we have not been, is Nigel not to blame for this in any way ?

PS

I know we were not in the top six when he took over, but in nearly 5 seasons IMHO we should be now

Is this not what I have been saying all along?

My point was people are more bothered about success than how good the actual product is.

Yes, I know that with good football should come success and if we continue to improve our league position as we pretty much have done through Nigel's tenure, then top six would not be too far away.

Anyone who had a season ticket 2/3/4 years ago and says they don't have one this season because of Nigel is just using that as an excuse in my opinion.

OK

A couple of times during the last couple of seasons we have found ourselves in the top six, was it second at one time, certainly third,

and both times I believe we ended up down with the dead men, having to avoid the drop, who carries the blame for those times, Clough, the players, GSE, who.

I am one of the fickle fans who has stopped going to PP.

I was telephoned by the club last week and asked why I hadn't renewed my season ticket for the first time in 10 years and whether I intended to attend any games on an ad hoc basis this season. I told them that I had stopped going because I had simply not been enjoying the experience for the last couple of seasons and that I had no intention of attending any games this season.

After I received this call it made me sit down and work out why I, personally, wasn't enjoying games any more. There was a surprisingly long list, music so loud before the games that I couldn't enjoy the craic with my mates before the game, screeching kids reading out the team sheet (shudder), Rammie being made to prance about like a total pratt are just some of them. I run my own business and spend a lot of my working life dealing with business matters and financing - it got to the point where there was more discussion about the business of football than the actual game. the very things I go to football to escape from!

Then of course there was the football itself - so inconsistent that I was barely able to enjoy a game when we were 2 nil up for fear that we would throw it away before the 95th minute.

Then the endless arguing at the ground (and on here) about who is to blame, the board or Clough. I don't think either of them do us any favours but I fear they are a job lot, while we have one we will have the other and that depresses me beyond belief.

I now take my lad to non league Belper town and we both thoroughly enjoy it. In fact we enjoy it so much that it's very unlikely we will return to PP any time soon.

All the best, Fickle of Belper

That's exactly how I feel. I can't give it up though, I go wherever and whenever I can pretty much. It's not often I don't go by choice.

I don't know why though. I hate home games and away games only occasionally hit the right note.

Just can't switch off. Don't like it though.

I actually think the attendances dropping by around a 3rd speaks volumes. It not like we flying high every year before clough came. While you can use stats and say we have improved many who I speak to just think we have stagnated and have been bored by clough reign.

If someone had to write a summary no more than 2 sentences long of Cloughs 5 years in charge what would it contain do you think

So last year's home performances weren't good to watch? Dip after xmas accepted but stil top 6 for results and good to watch no?

Nope. Not many convincing victories in honesty. More mental spirit and backs to the wall defending than outplaying the opposition, apart from a game or two.

If someone had to write a summary no more than 2 sentences long of Cloughs 5 years in charge what would it contain do you think

Average Championship manager steadies sinking ship into an average Championship club. Capable of occasional brilliance and occasional disasters but still meandering mid ocean.

That's exactly how I feel. I can't give it up though, I go wherever and whenever I can pretty much. It's not often I don't go by choice.

I don't know why though. I hate home games and away games only occasionally hit the right note.

Just can't switch off. Don't like it though.

I admire you for sticking with it and I really genuinely hope that someday the Rams repay your loyalty with entertaining and winning football. (Consistently)

I admire you for sticking with it and I really genuinely hope that someday the Rams repay your loyalty with entertaining and winning football. (Consistently)

You make out that you're not sticking with it but here you are on a dcfc forum. You've got the bug mate. Just you're pissed off for a bit? You'll be back when you've forgot how ***** it is sometimes. Loads of people have taken breaks. I didnt go to many games after our first stint in the PL ended. I just didnt feel the buzz. When it goes it goes. I don't think it's about loyalty. Its about keeping sane!

Archived