Rainbow Laces

Stive Pesley

I would say that they can shove them up their arse but they'd like it...

I'm joking!

I know what will happen soon though... just like in certain organisations, the FA will start saying -

"Nigel Clough, I hope you realise the seriousness of not having enough homosexuals in your team. You have 27 days"

EVERYBODY PROVE YOU LOVE THE GAYS!!! OR ELSE...

I wonder if wheelchair football has been considered to help eradicate diving from the game. I woold not put it past the FA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whats wrong with calling a homosexual "gay" - how is that possibly homophobic?

also when you call a straight person "gay", everyone says thats offensive, surley the fact that they think its offensive shows that being gay is wrong, therefore defeating their own argument. 

in conclusion its blown way out of proportion, p.s dont hate

I say it's perfectly acceptable to not want it rammed down your throat, if somebody doesn't like the thought of gays being together, having sex, getting married, having babies then that is their choice. Go away with your imposing opinions and rainbow laces, we don't give a ****.

I asked my late Grandmother what she thought about having a gay grandson and a lesbian granddaughter, her response...

"Ignorance is bliss"

Living was so much easier without having to care about all these 'different' people. I'm certain they had more respect, less abuse and less jokes made about them when nobody give a ****? I dunno, I just feel its almost as if they want to make it a problem!

I have no laces in the footwear i'm currently wearing. 

Does this make me a bad person?

It doesn't make you a bad person unless they're crocs, in which case you've forfeited the right to ever own any footwear again and I'll send someone round tomorrow to remove your feet. That's right, I am crocophobic.

On a more serious note, I don't have a problem with this campaign or any players who choose to support it. I think the club did the right thing in letting the players make their own minds up. From what I've read though I think it sounds like it's been badly thought out with some of the slogans and such that they've used.The reason behind the campaign is good cos it'd be better if footballers felt comfortable enough to be openly gay but I just don't think this campaign was well put together.

Interesting isn't it? That some people can have such strong opinions about something that doesn't affect them in the slightest.

If you're so opposed to the whole thing (that would have made no material difference to your life) then that says quite openly to everyone that your problem is actually much deeper rooted. You're bigoted &  just don't like gay people maybe?

LadyRam is spot on by the way:

Makes no difference to me. If you want to support the cause do it, if you don't, don't. Simple as that.

Greenram, it does 'affect us in the slightest' because it's all we hear about nowadays...

Ginge

Black

Muslim

White

Posh

Gay

Mixed race

Scum

Lesbian

Asexual

Etc.

Why do we have to be told to like them? What about if I just like the person for who they are? At the end of the day, despite what you say, we are naturally prejudice but i'm not a bigot if I have respect for people.

Which I do, most of the time.

Genuine question mate, obviously none of my business but do you work in the area or have dealings with it daily? If so does it not frustrate you massively?!

How about we have anit racism and gay abuse logo's on every football league and PL match day shirt worn by the players. Rainbow laces in support of fighting gay abuse is absurd. If you disagree with this approach and say it won't work then you are basically saying capitalism does not work. Organisations spend hundreds of millions every year just to be on the front of a PL shirt, so it obviously does work. 

I have close friends who are gay and they constantly come up against prejudice, bias, verbal and physical attacks, vandalism etc etc. It makes me genuinely sad that they have to put up with this stuff - because as you say, they are just people. They were my friends before they were gay.

Nobody is telling anyone to "like" minorities. I just don't get why people have to get so up tight about "being told what to think". If you read about the rainbow laces campaign and your first instinct is "don't tell me what to think!" then you genuinely have a deep-seated problem

I have close friends who are gay and they constantly come up against prejudice, bias, verbal and physical attacks, vandalism etc etc. It makes me genuinely sad that they have to put up with this stuff - because as you say, they are just people. They were my friends before they were gay.

Really?

I know a couple of gay lads (not a couple) and its a non issue to them. I don't think anyone within their lives cares if they are gay or not.

Homosexuals are all over TV and Radio. Britain has become so comfortable with it that it's also used as material for comedy like Little Britain etc.

I'm sure there's still some opposition though as there is about anything. Some people probably think black people should be on chains or the Germans are evil. That's just intolerant people and I'm guessing your mates have come up against this minority?

I don't care about Rainbow laces. I think it should be up to an individual if they want to do this. I personally wouldn't wear rainbow laces as a footballer because its a non issue for me personally.

I don't think anyone wearing them is fighting for gay rights either. That battle has been won.

Gays exist, blacks aren't slaves, Germans aren't Nazi's.

That's my view anyway.

Wish somebody would tell Kanye West that black slavery is a thing of the past. Or better yet just shoot the stupid tw@.

Anyway, rainbow laces... personal choice.

I think it's trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Maybe I'd think differently if I saw any homophobic behaviour/treatment aimed at the two lads I know.

I don't know anybody that's homophobic tbf.

Really?

I know a couple of gay lads (not a couple) and its a non issue to them. I don't think anyone within their lives cares if they are gay or not.

Well obviously the issues they face don't come from people within their lives. I suspect that if your friends got beaten up for being gay they'd feel differently (and so might you?)

The fight for gay rights has been won - to a degree yes, but the rainbow laces wasn't about gay rights, it was about addressing the stigma attached to gay footballers (which is why there are no openly gay professional footballers). One player saying to their fellow players that it's OK to be gay AND a footballer.

There are hundreds of gay actors, comedians, musicians, (and many other professions) and no one cares any more. So why is football different?

I think you only have to read the Brighton Chant Arrest thread to see why..

Well obviously the issues they face don't come from people within their lives. I suspect that if your friends got beaten up for being gay they'd feel differently (and so might you?)

The fight for gay rights has been won - to a degree yes, but the rainbow laces wasn't about gay rights, it was about addressing the stigma attached to gay footballers (which is why there are no openly gay professional footballers). One player saying to their fellow players that it's OK to be gay AND a footballer.

There are hundreds of gay actors, comedians, musicians, (and many other professions) and no one cares any more. So why is football different?

I think you only have to read the Brighton Chant Arrest thread to see why..

Thing is though fans will tear into a player for anything they can get hold of. Yes they would tear into a gay footballer but they'd tear into any footballer thrown into the public eye for anything. Like Giggs, Terry, Cole, Commons, Rooney, Lee Hughes, Marlon King etc. they have taken stick for things in their private lives.

If fans get bait then they will use it. It won't be nice for gay player to hear just as its not nice for Terry and King.

Not arguing a case. I'm just trying to talk about the mentality of the football fan.

As for the people who beat up your mates? Was that for being gay?

Barbarians if so mate. Small minded barbarians. Probably insecure. I don't think there's many people that think that way anymore.

Archived