Rainbow Laces

Stive Pesley

Please don't let this dissolve into the same arguments as the Brighton Chanting thread, but from the South Stand I couldn't tell if any of the players wore the Stonewall donated rainbow laces on Saturday.

Could anyone nearer the pitch, confirm/deny?

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-fight-gay-abuse-rainbow-boot-laces/story-19822183-detail/story.html

The article in the DET on Friday had the headline "Derby County Fight Gay Abuse With Rainbow Laces" - which rather read like the club was fully behind the campaign, however reading the article made it clear that the club were devolving any responsibility/decision to the players

I noticed on the morning of the game the official club Twitter account posted a vine video showing some of the player's boots and none of them had rainbow laces. It struck me as an odd thing to post in the circumstances

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah right - hadn't seen that. I'd only seen the weird DET article

Still seems that it's an easy get-out for everyone to say "oh the campaign wasn't organised very well", "we didn't like the slogan", "the sponsor is a bookies" etc

Only the truly brave and caring would have ignored that and just worn the ******* laces

I seriously hope not.

Its a bloody football match not a gay pride march.

I wouldn't expect football players to represent my personal beliefs during a football match and neither should any other group of this ilk.

I respect clubs wearing poppies but beyond this I don't believe any other group should use football as an advertising tool.

So the British Legion can do it?

Not sure I follow the logic.

Presumably, if stonewall paid for shirt sponsorship, you'd have no objections?

Yes. Respecting hundreds of thousands of people who gave their lives to retain our liberty is on a different level to wearing multi coloured laces to celebrate the fact that people are homosexual...in my humble opinion.

And I would have absolutely no problem with them sponsoring our shirts.

In some peoples eyes yes. What about people who disagree with homosexuality? I'm sure some religions teach that.

What about if the KKK asked us to wear white hoods, after all they believe what they do is to make the world a better place.

Obviously I'm being OTT but don't think a club should promote people's personal beliefs except in exceptional in circumstances.

I think the main issue with the laces was that the campaign was being backed by a large Irish bookmaker and the problem was that football clubs have already got sponsorship contracts with other bookmaker companies and would of conflicted with their sponsorships.

And yet those that disagree with the poppy campaign can do one? Witness the vilification of James McClean.

Those that disagree with homosexuality can stick to their mediaeval ways. They don't the world to move on. Their day is past.

As I said, if you think losing your life in a world war (and leaving a family behind) only deserves the same amount of promotion as being homosexual does, we both have very different views of the world.

As I said, if you think losing your life in a world war (and leaving a family behind) only deserves the same amount of promotion as being homosexual does, we both have very different views of the world.

Indeed. I am prepared to respect without prejudice. Those that want gay people to burn in hell or even to help them on their way are not prepared to do so.

The laces could have sent the message that it's not ok to attack homosexuals.

Mind you, given the outlook of some of the boneheads present at football matches, it's probably futile.

My view is that the issue of homosexuality is such a non-issue in this country that rainbow laces are just not required. Most of Britain's towns & cities have thriving gay scenes attended by straight & gay people alike & a large number of public figures in this country feel comfortable enough to come out.

Perhaps such a campaign might be more appropriate in the dozens of countries throughout the world where homosexuals are actively persecuted.

Indeed. I am prepared to respect without prejudice. Those that want gay people to burn in hell or even to help them on their way are not prepared to do so.

The laces could have sent the message that it's not ok to attack homosexuals.

Mind you, given the outlook of some of the boneheads present at football matches, it's probably futile.

Are you being serious? Footballers wearing rainbow laces stopping homosexuals being attacked?

The 'Kick It Out Campaign' has not done much to remove racism from football and how much money has been 'invested' in that. Schools are the place for educating people not a football ground.

I wonder if we could get players to sign up for a match wearing them sumo suits to help rid fat people of the stigma attached to their size??

Once again that is obviously tongue in cheek!

I would say that they can shove them up their arse but they'd like it...

I'm joking!

I know what will happen soon though... just like in certain organisations, the FA will start saying -

"Nigel Clough, I hope you realise the seriousness of not having enough homosexuals in your team. You have 27 days"

EVERYBODY PROVE YOU LOVE THE GAYS!!! OR ELSE...

Archived