Rainbow Laces

Stive Pesley

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe a campaign is needed. Wenger (again) had it spot on, it seems as if we're fighting a different cause every week.

Feck off and take your phoney issues with you.

The only time ANYONE will know it's an issue or not is if and when some of the gay lads come out. I don't think the reaction would be anything other than hey ho, lets get on with it.

Is it really going to be a total shock when it's revealed that some men who've showered together for years and who've kissed and cuddled each other for kicking a ball may well be gay?? 

The shock of people announcing they're not like other men died with George Michael, if he can be gay, so can anyone.

NEWSFLASH TO ALL THE GAYS IN THE VILLAGE.

It's not that unique anymore, it's not got the same stigma it used to have and if you're reading this and thinking I'm wrong and that you personally think it does still have the same stigma, then I'd say the issue of gayness is not one you're fully embracing.

As a straight man, I'd be lying if I said the gay "conundrum" hadn't come up at some point in my life. I'd say we've all asked it of ourselves.

"What would happen if I found out my best mate was gay?" Would it change the way I felt about him, would I stop liking him as a mate or as a person"

Thankfully I passed that test with flying (rainbow) colours.  My gay mate is still my mate and we still talk about the same things we talked about before he was gay. I still trust him not to get a semi on if he sees me naked (mind you it'd be a miracle if anyone got an erection seeing me naked, I'm fatty and skinny in the same body with a wisp of chest hair that never quite made it!). I even wee next to him when we go to the toliets and he's not tried to peak once. No matter how much waving I do.

It makes me laugh that men are scared of other men being gay, as if they're suddenly going to find them irresistible and force themselves on them. Get a grip lads, you're probably not that hot.

It's the same discriminating on colour of skin, the same as someone being Welsh or Turkish, not Romanians though, I hate those thieving gypsy ******** ;-).

It's the same as that, no point in discriminating.

I'm not religious at all but I do believe strongly that we'll get to the end of our own days and there'll be time to reflect on whether you've lived the life you wanted to live.

Gay, straight, pink, black, yellow, white or Romanian, if you can answer that with even a near yes, then feck everyone else, feck them and the horse they rode in on.

How do we know there are no openly gay footballers? Do they have to print it on the front page of the newspaper to be open about it? What if derby have an openly gay player, all the team might know, does he have go put it in the press to make it true?

Joe bloggs plays for derby. I dont know if hes gay or not, I'm not personal friends with him.

Joe bloggs hasn't come out and told the press hes gay. This means he's straight then?

Joe bloggs hasn't come out and told the press he's got a car. Does that mean he's not got one then?

Being gay is absolutely fine, but this whole campaign is trying to force footballers to come forward and put it in the papers. That's not fair, it singling them out because they are gay. It's personal, the whole team probably knows.

Campaign manager "right, if you're gay you've got to come out and tell the whole country, otherwise we know your not comfortable with it" it's personal, we dont expect players to come out and tell us what they had for tea, or what size shoes they wear. For me, being gay is on par with these things, it's just who you are, it shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself and just because it's not on the bbc website, doesnt mean your teammates dont know, and it doesnt mean your scared or ashamed of it.

The 2022 World Cup is being held in Qatar. In Qatar it is currently illegal for two men to have sex with each other. Illegal. That's the backwards world we live in. If you put your penis inside another man, in the privacy of your own home, while in Qatar, you will face 5 years in prison.

I think we need to put pressure these backwards people that think homosexuality is somehow wrong. If colourful shoelaces helps with that, then I see no issue. It's hardly the most intrusive campaign ever. Teams wear poppies, they wear ribbons, they wear black armbands, they display logos of various charities. This campaign does not interfere with any of those.

If they were being asked to not wear poppies and wear this instead, there would be an issue. That is not the case, so I do not see an issue.

How do we know there are no openly gay footballers? Do they have to print it on the front page of the newspaper to be open about it? What if derby have an openly gay player, all the team might know, does he have go put it in the press to make it true?

Joe bloggs plays for derby. I dont know if hes gay or not, I'm not personal friends with him.

Joe bloggs hasn't come out and told the press hes gay. This means he's straight then?

Joe bloggs hasn't come out and told the press he's got a car. Does that mean he's not got one then?

Being gay is absolutely fine, but this whole campaign is trying to force footballers to come forward and put it in the papers. That's not fair, it singling them out because they are gay. It's personal, the whole team probably knows.

Campaign manager "right, if you're gay you've got to come out and tell the whole country, otherwise we know your not comfortable with it" it's personal, we dont expect players to come out and tell us what they had for tea, or what size shoes they wear. For me, being gay is on par with these things, it's just who you are, it shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself and just because it's not on the bbc website, doesnt mean your teammates dont know, and it doesnt mean your scared or ashamed of it.

I wish I'd written that instead of mine.

Brilliantly put. 

My view is that the issue of homosexuality is such a non-issue in this country that rainbow laces are just not required. Most of Britain's towns & cities have thriving gay scenes attended by straight & gay people alike & a large number of public figures in this country feel comfortable enough to come out.

Perhaps such a campaign might be more appropriate in the dozens of countries throughout the world where homosexuals are actively persecuted.

This is true, yet in football grounds the degree of ignorance means gay players stay silent. I think we should do what we can to change that.

I've got a gay response for you folks.

"Rainbow laces? We don't all skip through meadows wearing flowers in our hair."

He's more offended by the rainbow laces than the chanting at Brighton.

He's not offended by either btw. He just thinks the next step will be we all wear leather jeans to make him feel comfortable. Lol

The 2022 World Cup is being held in Qatar. In Qatar it is currently illegal for two men to have sex with each other. Illegal. That's the backwards world we live in. If you put your penis inside another man, in the privacy of your own home, while in Qatar, you will face 5 years in prison.

I think we need to put pressure these backwards people that think homosexuality is somehow wrong. If colourful shoelaces helps with that, then I see no issue. It's hardly the most intrusive campaign ever. Teams wear poppies, they wear ribbons, they wear black armbands, they display logos of various charities. This campaign does not interfere with any of those.

If they were being asked to not wear poppies and wear this instead, there would be an issue. That is not the case, so I do not see an issue.

I don't think it's fair to tell other countries what laws to pass tbf.

It's backward in our eyes. No sex before marriage is backward in our eyes.

Archived