Saudi Prince Considered Investing

Chris Peduck

Highest ranked partially owned club is Swansea City - 20% stake in the club

Highest ranked fully owned club is AFC Wimbledon but Exeter, Pompey & Wycombe in the same division are also fully owned.

I'd love to see that kind of ownership structure for Derby. No idea how practical it would be at this level of football or what stake a fan group could realistically have to make a positive contribution to the club.

Thanks very much for that. 

Yeah, I also find it interesting but haven't a clue how it would work for Derby.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks very much for that. 

Yeah, I also find it interesting but haven't a clue how it would work for Derby.

Just thinking about it - it would be nigh on impossible in the current football financial climate for a club at our level to be entirely fan-owned. I think the best case scenario would be something like Swansea's structure - a significant shareholding for the fans but majority owned by wealthy fans as in days of yore.

AFC Wimbledon have recently launched a scheme to boost transfer funds whereby fans donate a small amount a month - they're looking to swell the transfer coffers by £400k. I reckon a club with Derby's fanbase could raise £1m plus a year in fan "donations" to boost Clough's spending power but whilst the club is owned by a consortium looking to make a long term profit out of the club, I suspect it couldn't work as people would perceive that they would be subsidizing GSE's cashflow & profit margin.

Like I said in the Sheffield Utd thread, I'm very suspicious of foreign investors promising major investment. For every Abramovich or Sheikh Mansour, there's another 10 shysters who have splashed the cash initially only to disappear/asset-strip/destroy the club after the initial honeymoon period.

That said, if you were looking at clubs outside of the Premier League capable of improving considerably & yielding a "return on investment", Derby & Leeds would be at the top of most people's list.

we have foreign investors, and id be surprised if many know who is exactly in that list.

we have foreign investors, and id be surprised if many know who is exactly in that list.

Hence my suspicion of mysterious new "foreign investors"!!

GSE in fairness haven't been as destructive as some other owners I could mention - the main charges levelled at their door are initial over-ambition & subsequent stagnation.

Wilson and Mallett are Canadian!

Just think its a generalisation to be honest, When Appleby Glick came in we as fans just see it as an American takeover, hence the yanks! As these were the public faces of the buyout hence the yank thing sticks, think there's a double entendre there some where

Just thinking about it - it would be nigh on impossible in the current football financial climate for a club at our level to be entirely fan-owned. I think the best case scenario would be something like Swansea's structure - a significant shareholding for the fans but majority owned by wealthy fans as in days of yore.

AFC Wimbledon have recently launched a scheme to boost transfer funds whereby fans donate a small amount a month - they're looking to swell the transfer coffers by £400k. I reckon a club with Derby's fanbase could raise £1m plus a year in fan "donations" to boost Clough's spending power but whilst the club is owned by a consortium looking to make a long term profit out of the club, I suspect it couldn't work as people would perceive that they would be subsidizing GSE's cashflow & profit margin.

The German 50+1 rule is the way forward. It states that all clubs must have at least 51% of shares owned by fans. 

Hence my suspicion of mysterious new "foreign investors"!!

GSE in fairness haven't been as destructive as some other owners I could mention - the main charges levelled at their door are initial over-ambition & subsequent stagnation.

GSE don't own the club, they are some sort of investment fund management group who do sports franchises for wealthy clients.

They get paid to manage other peoples shares in the Rams and i have long since given up trying to work out what the angle is, they sure as **** aint going to get rich owning a UK based footie club and they are clearly not interested in what happens on the field once the whistle blows.

If we were bought out they would be out of a high paying gig so i can't see them seeking new investment, in fact i have a picture in my head of when the saudi guy came knocking they closed the curtains, turned the TV down and hid behind the sofa like we use to when the rent was due.

The German 50+1 rule is the way forward. It states that all clubs must have at least 51% of shares owned by fans. 

That would be my ideal scenario but could it work in the English league with its love of rich foreign benefactors? Could we find "investors" happy to accept only 49% control but in all likely put in more than 50% of the investment? If so, I suspect they would need to be wealthy fans rather than 3rd party businessmen.

GSE don't own the club, they are some sort of investment fund management group who do sports franchises for wealthy clients.

They get paid to manage other peoples shares in the Rams and i have long since given up trying to work out what the angle is, they sure as **** aint going to get rich owning a UK based footie club and they are clearly not interested in what happens on the field once the whistle blows.

If we were bought out they would be out of a high paying gig so i can't see them seeking new investment, in fact i have a picture in my head of when the saudi guy came knocking they closed the curtains, turned the TV down and hid behind the sofa like we use to when the rent was due.

Yes I know GSE are a management company - I find it easier to refer to them as owners though as they represent them. I think their angle is to secure promotion with a squad of cheaper players & youth prospects and then sell for big bucks when(if) it happens. I do believe that if a foreign investor were prepared to pay top dollar for Derby in this division they would sell. I do sense though they wouldn't sell on the cheap bearing in mind the cash they have invested so far & the fact they need to present some kind of end-game profit to their group of investors.

Seems that a lot of buyers want bankrupt clubs who they can buy for next to nowt, take the debt on then try to get out of paying said debt.

Would the crackpot Kuwaitis have spent £100m on forest if the Doughty family wanted their money back? I doubt it. They picked up forest for a fraction of Andy Reid's burger bill.

Leicester, Birmingham, Pompey (several times), all changed hands for very little up front payment because of the debt they were in. Glasgow Rangers did the same, switched owners a few times but the debts never got paid.

Even the biggest, richest club in England were taken over by the Glaziers with money borrowed against their "investment". (i.e, not prepared to put the cash up front.)

It appears that very few clubs actually have money pumped in unless the "buyers" get the club cheaply with the debt written off.

It wouldn't. Derby fans are always willing to talk the talk, but doubt any would put their mortgage into the club.

No club owned by the fans expects the fans to put their financial futures on the line for their club.

As for not putting your money where your mouth is. This seems more true of our wealthy owners...and GSE of course. Top 6 'talk' but consistently providing a stagnation level wage budget is beyond boring.

Never mind, let's blame the manager...and the next manager...and the one after that.

No club owned by the fans expects the fans to put their financial futures on the line for their club.

As for not putting your money where your mouth is. This seems more true of our wealthy owners...and GSE of course. Top 6 'talk' but consistently providing a stagnation level wage budget is beyond boring.

Never mind, let's blame the manager...and the next manager...and the one after that.

Not sure that's fair. The owners backed the previous manager by sanctioning 23 signings in 2008, and have signed about 70 players under the previous manager.

Archived