Saudi Prince Considered Investing

Chris Peduck

GSE don't own the club, they are some sort of investment fund management group who do sports franchises for wealthy clients.They get paid to manage other peoples shares in the Rams and i have long since given up trying to work out what the angle is, they sure as **** aint going to get rich owning a UK based footie club and they are clearly not interested in what happens on the field once the whistle blows.If we were bought out they would be out of a high paying gig so i can't see them seeking new investment, in fact i have a picture in my head of when the saudi guy came knocking they closed the curtains, turned the TV down and hid behind the sofa like we use to when the rent was due.

Yes they do

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The club are paying the mortgage on the stadium, just have to keep up repayments till it's owned outright?

Paying interest only,so principal amount of debt always outstanding.As this arrangement ends in 2016,it'll be interesting to see what replaces it.I can't see an interest only,2.5% over base, deal being a runner.

GSE don't own the club, they are some sort of investment fund management group who do sports franchises for wealthy clients.

They get paid to manage other peoples shares in the Rams and i have long since given up trying to work out what the angle is, they sure as **** aint going to get rich owning a UK based footie club and they are clearly not interested in what happens on the field once the whistle blows.

If we were bought out they would be out of a high paying gig so i can't see them seeking new investment, in fact i have a picture in my head of when the saudi guy came knocking they closed the curtains, turned the TV down and hid behind the sofa like we use to when the rent was due.

Not that lucrative,as it happens.Both the 10/11 and 11/12 accounts show their fees at £60k/annum -£15k of 10/11 and the whole of 11/12 remained unpaid as at 30/6/12. Since the exit of AP,only one director is shown in the accounts as being paid,which must surely be the CEO (at the time).Furthermore,the amount shown as being paid to the highest paid director is equal to that paid to directors overall (which merely backs up my last sentence),and means that AA receives no director's pay.It should also be pointed out that Glick wasn't part of GSE when he landed,but was head hunted from another US franchise ,specifically to become Derby CEO.

Also,don't forget that any fees GSE are taking out would represent a drag on the profits (I suppose an increase of losses would be more appropriate) of DCFC,in other words the investors' profit/loss.I'm not too sure our high powered investors would sanction management charges that were inappropriate to the task in hand.

I don't particularly see any mileage to be had by ownership/GSE dissenters going down this route.

How are these fans club ran, is a board still appointed??, how would it all work??

Could you not say right we need to raise £50m, if you could get some of the high net worth fans to take the majority in exchange for 49% 

how feasible is it, 

surely wouldnt take that long if everyone chucked in a few quid every week haha...

I would love to know how it all works and if any chance it was possible 

I don't particularly see any mileage to be had by ownership/GSE dissenters going down this route.

True -have you ever fathomed why on earth they still persist funding the club?

Are they just like a gambling addict, pumping in another £1m in the deluded belief that THIS is the season we get promotion?

Or is the whole thing just a complex tax write-off for them?

Paying interest only,so principal amount of debt always outstanding.As this arrangement ends in 2016,it'll be interesting to see what replaces it.I can't see an interest only,2.5% over base, deal being a runner.

Ah right, ta Ramnlur. So in 2016 it's time to re-mortgage then?

Ah right, ta Ramnlur. So in 2016 it's time to re-mortgage then?

That's about the size of it,unless we get taken over (but even then I doubt new owners would disturb 2.5% over base)/flog players for megabucks (and choose to use proceeds to pay off loan)/any other alternative that saves me from false dichotomy.

Are they just like a gambling addict, pumping in another £1m in the deluded belief that THIS is the season we get promotion?

I suppose if they hadn't continued,the alternatives(in the absence of buyers at the right price) would have been administration or taking on board more external debt.It should be noted that they've now reached the stage where they might start to get a return on their investment in the Academy. Funding cash losses up to this point,and then perhaps letting the Academy take over,might be seen as a better option than those mentioned earlier.

In chess parlance,I think we may well have entered 'end game'.

The tax write- off suggestions always amuse me,as though losing loads of cash to get a much smaller tax gain (if available) were in some way desirable. Not a dig at you-I've seen loads of people suggest it across the forums.

I tend to agree with what Ramblur says to an extent, the owners/investors, in my opinion, have put themselves in a poor position. They will never make their money back selling the club whilst Derby is in the championship. They can't NOT continue to put money in otherwise they can wave goodbye to their initial investment and all subsequent investments. They cannot get to the Premier League unless they invest in either a new manager, new players, or both! So all in all... they're a bit fooked.

I tend to agree with what Ramblur says to an extent, the owners/investors, in my opinion, have put themselves in a poor position. They will never make their money back selling the club whilst Derby is in the championship. They can't NOT continue to put money in otherwise they can wave goodbye to their initial investment and all subsequent investments. They cannot get to the Premier League unless they invest in either a new manager, new players, or both! So all in all... they're a bit fooked.

I think it's all likely to boil down to the treatment of Hughes,Mostyn.If we were to sell him next year,with a season loan back and give the manager a decent chunk of the fee,then we've got a chance.I don't think you get the full value of Academy graduates until possibly their third season.All young players have to learn from their mistakes,so early doors the manager probably suffers from the need to let them make such mistakes and gain the experience (which can only come from game time) to enable them to cut them out.An easier option is to bring in experienced players,as per BD.

If we can do what I outline,and importantly persuade other players,notably Jeff,to stay onboard,then I think we'd have a chance.We should have both Will and Jeff really firing on all cylinders with the opportunity to add some experienced quality.

I know it's unrelated but does anybody know the highest ranked club that is fan owned?

Apart from Bayer Leverkused and Wolfsburg, all German clubs have to be 51% fan owned. Then there is Barca, Real Madrid, Atletic Bilbao and Osasuna in Spain, Panathinaikos in Greece and all Turkish clubs. Would love to see Derby fan-owned or partly fan owned. It seems to be possible elsewhere. I'd want nothing at all to do with the 'royal' Saudi money. It's basicially stolen from the Saudi population in general, 25% of whom live below the poverty line. 

Apart from Bayer Leverkused and Wolfsburg, all German clubs have to be 51% fan owned. Then there is Barca, Real Madrid, Atletic Bilbao and Osasuna in Spain, Panathinaikos in Greece and all Turkish clubs. Would love to see Derby fan-owned or partly fan owned. It seems to be possible elsewhere. I'd want nothing at all to do with the 'royal' Saudi money. It's basicially stolen from the Saudi population in general, 25% of whom live below the poverty line.

And in Wolfsburg's and Leverkusen's case they're only exempt from the 50+1 rule because their owners have been majorly involved with club for over 20 years.

Leverkusen actually being the sporting club of Bayer Pharmaceuticals.

How I envy the German's.

Surely it could be possible with having such a strong local fanbase, and quite a few wealthy owners how could stump up the majority for 49%!!

How good would it be to be fan owned, and then the club could support local business more

local brewery beer / local food etc etc a community club!! 

Im in as long as ramblur is the treasurer for the fans money haha

but how are losses covered??? do all of the german clubs make a cash profit, and how close are derby to make a cash profit???

if it was £50m to buy, 

thats only 50,000 lots of £1k, 

if the wealthy bunch put up £30 then thats only 20,000 shares at £1k haha

Archived