Derby fans get 3 year banning orders for singing at Brighton

uttoxram75

I guess many people feel that if they are sat in a stadium, surrounded by others, they can say what they like about the people on the pitch and the fans of the opposition. Call it banter or whatever but some of it treads a fine line. Now you would hardly stroll the streets as an individual and say some of those things to a stranger (unless you were incredibly stupid) So why should it be acceptable in a stadium? Not saying that is my view, just putting it out there.

I just feel for some a football match has become a haven for spewing all the things they hate in the world, excreting all their vile ways. The problem for the police is, a stadium cannot be immune to the laws of the land(however PC or silly they may be). And given that clubs are trying to make matches more family friendly, something has to happen. What you don't want to do is ruin the fun for everyone because of a few idiots.

Tricky subject this and already a large variation in responses. If the two fans were daft enough to break laws in a public place then that is their fault. Until we know exactly what was said, it is all guess work, but it will fall somewhere between harshly treated and too lenient. :D

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funniest thing I've ever seen at a football match was against Cardiff a few years ago. The Noisy Corner as it was then were picking on Cardiff fans individually. One chap received the chant "who's the gaybo in the pink?'. This was quite clearly light hearted banter, even the bloke on the receiving end laughed. Should everybody who sang that be banned for three years as well? 

The funniest thing I've ever seen at a football match was against Cardiff a few years ago. The Noisy Corner as it was then were picking on Cardiff fans individually. One chap received the chant "who's the gaybo in the pink?'. This was quite clearly light hearted banter, even the bloke on the receiving end laughed. Should everybody who sang that be banned for three years as well? 

I was just on about that to a colleague, the lad's mates ripped into him as well, he laughed it off.

We were singing "the only gay in the village", (based on Dafydd of Little Britain) and "does your boyfriend know you're here" etc.

was banter and well received.

I have to say that the "we can see you holding hands" "does your boyfriend know you're here" and "you're too ugly to be gay" are just about my three favorite chants....all really whitty...remember that when you used to be allowed to be funny..?

The banning order is ridiculous, 3 years....Suarez called Evra- numerous times - a n..... Live on TV and only got a 8 game ban or whatever it was....!

Give them a fine of 100 pounds they will never do it again for sure, but three years...really??

Did anyone hear this at Brighton?

The only thing I heard was one lad slurring "you've got **** on your walls" which didn't really make sense and was even funnier because he kept forgetting his own words.

Brighton either need to get a grip or move further away from the place than they already are...

Will all the stand up comedians be banned from work and fined a weeks wages too then, if homophobic remarks aren't allowed?

If that's the case Russell Brand should have a life sentence.

Good point, the lads singing are only trying to make people laugh aren't they? So what's the difference?

I'm dead against things like 'his gay so he shouldn't be allowed in the changing room'...etc but in this case a few comments doesn't mean they're homophobic - we've all made a homophobic comment like alpha said, it's probably the most used insult in the country. I just think it's a bit daft but everyone will have different stand points for different reasons. 

It's different standards for different situations though... Banter you have with you mates is fine... I don't think any bloke anywhere would be able to say they've never said anything insulting to their mates in the pub, and that's banter (as long as they think it is!)... But letting people do it in public, when they're broadcasting it in front of thousands of people is very different... If we don;t stamp down on it then kids will think it's acceptable and we'll never get rid of the prejudice...

It's different standards for different situations though... Banter you have with you mates is fine... I don't think any bloke anywhere would be able to say they've never said anything insulting to their mates in the pub, and that's banter (as long as they think it is!)... But letting people do it in public, when they're broadcasting it in front of thousands of people is very different... If we don;t stamp down on it then kids will think it's acceptable and we'll never get rid of the prejudice...

I don't know why people even think this is a reasonable stand point to argue against.

I repeat the question - would you go to a gig by a known gay musician/comedian, or a play/film with a known gay actor and stand up shouting "amusing" gay "banter" at the audience in general? Would that be acceptable?

Don't say football is different because it really isn't.

Can we ban chants aimed at Cardiff and Wales about sheep shagging? It's a disgusting stereotype

Can we ban "you fat bastwerd". People are sensitive about their weight.

Homophobic toddlers!! Jesus.

Football years ago was for the working man. Then came along a Tristian and his kids and decided to join in. Now the game is altered to suit them. To pander to the wider audience. You'll all be sat in silent grounds eating popcorn soon.

When I first started going to football at the BBG not even 20 years ago I was told not to repeat the language I heard. That its not about fighting its about winding the oppo fans up. After the game you go home and behave. Football was a release. People would behave differently.

I'm not saying homophobia at football is ok. I'm saying people aren't homophobic who are singing these songs. It's a wind up. It's banter.

Everything offends someone nowadays. What's wrong with people?

Honestly, who was offended by the Mick Philpott chant by Leicester? Honestly? Was you offended? Not asking if you thing it was nice (I don't think they wanted us to enjoy it) I'm asking if it offended you. If you was outraged.

Like GreenRam you said "I hope all if them die in a car crash" to see if that's offensive right?

If you was saying that to me, which you aren't, why would I be offended? It says more about you than it does me. Either you're sick or you have a sense of humour that doesn't suit mine.

Like when people are offended by something on EastEnders? Get a grip. Turn over you ******* idiots. Are you for real? Change channel ffs!

The number of people who want to "do the right thing" make me laugh. It links in to that homeless thread by Cisse. You're all so perfect. So God fearing and law abiding making decisions about what's moral and what's immoral. Who lives like that though?

Like this cnut criticising Derby for their deal with Electric Cigarettes. Find something to do. Who smokes thinking that its healthy? Stop trying to think for other people. Give your £5 to Children in Need and fook off.

"It sends a bad signal"

What? Stfu! People can think for themselves.

Treated like idiots in this country. Stick battery up my arse and I can be a step closer to living like a robot.

Sorry to any robots I offended

I don't know why people even think this is a reasonable stand point to argue against.

I repeat the question - would you go to a gig by a known gay musician/comedian, or a play/film with a known gay actor and stand up shouting "amusing" gay "banter" at the audience in general? Would that be acceptable?

Don't say football is different because it really isn't.

Football IS different. You can't judge everything by the same rules.

Would you shout "knock him out!!" In a library? Then why is it acceptable at a boxing match?

Top post Alpha

Honestly, who was offended by the Mick Philpott chant by Leicester? Honestly? Was you offended? Not asking if you thing it was nice (I don't think they wanted us to enjoy it) I'm asking if it offended you. If you was outraged.

Improved the atmosphere more than anything. As did the songs about Doughty and Barks against Forest, remember how electric and volatile that atmosphere was for the last 30 minutes. 

Football IS different. You can't judge everything by the same rules.

Would you shout "knock him out!!" In a library? Then why is it acceptable at a boxing match?

Erm... Because that's a generally accepted part of the sport? Homophobia is not a part of the actual game of football...

right lets get one thing straight, 'homophobia' is a fear of homosexuality, or in most cases, a lack of understanding. 'Beating someone up' is a hate crime, they are miles apart in every possible way.

I wouldn't like to see anyone beaten up, black, white, pink, gay, straight, old or young and anything in between.

What I'm saying is, if someone calls someone else 'gay', YOU personally shouldn't be offended.

Can't you see how wrong this sounds - read your last line again mate. 

Can we ban "you fat bastwerd". People are sensitive about their weight.

Would you walk up to someone who worked for you and say "oi fatty, get on a diet... you're messing up the place"?

No... Inappropriate in a work environment...

Could you say it to your mate down the pub? Yes... Cos it's just a conversation between you and him and anyone who happens to overhear and is offended can do one...

So that's 2 different situations... Football grounds are a third... they are a public arena and in those places certain behaviours are and are not acceptable... racism and homophobia are not... because it's in a very public forum.... what you say to your mates in private, or even in the pub (private conversation) is your business... what you say at the football is in public...

Football years ago was for the working man. Then came along a Tristian and his kids and decided to join in. Now the game is altered to suit them. To pander to the wider audience.

I'm middle class btw... I grew up in Derbyshire but now live in London and travel back for all the home games (and get to a few away games)... And have been a season ticket holder at Derby since I was 6... My dad is, my grandad was and my great grandad was right back to when DCFC first existed... You saying middle class people are ruining your game?

I say ignorant people are ruining mine...

Surely the government is shooting itself in the foot by trying to clean up football. It's a release. It allows your everyday normal guy to get everything off of his chest, do things they wouldn't normally do or say, unleash a weeks worth of stress on thousands of others. If football became a cinema like experience people wouldn't get this release and potentially could start causing trouble elsewhere.

It's like nightclubs in a way. The police can congregate around nightclubs because they know that's where most folk will be and so most of the trouble. Take away nightclubs and people will go to pubs and the trouble will be scattered around town rather than concentrated at nightclubs. 

Surely the government is shooting itself in the foot by trying to clean up football. It's a release. It allows your everyday normal guy to get everything off of his chest, do things they wouldn't normally do or say, unleash a weeks worth of stress on thousands of others

So if you wanted to release the pent up stress of the week by stabbing people in the face with a fork that would be okay?

Archived