Derby fans get 3 year banning orders for singing at Brighton

uttoxram75

I was actually pleased to see this.

Harsh? Maybe - but if it stops homophobic chanting at football matches then it's a good thing. Sad that these guys had to be made an example of, but it was the right thing to do. To enforce the law rather than turn a blind eye to it.

There should be no place for homophobia in society full stop - let alone at a football match which is, at the end of the day, just some sports entertainment.

Would you stand up at a Graham Norton show and start shouting homophobic "banter" at the audience and expect to get away with it?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all.

There's banter and outright abuse. Taking it up the arse and HIV - Aids being directed at the family stand is bang out of order.

We laugh at the holding hand songs and reply with '' you're to ugly to be gay''.

Banter is fine but outright homophobic abuse isn't.

Good morning all.

There's banter and outright abuse. Taking it up the arse and HIV - Aids being directed at the family stand is bang out of order.

We laugh at the holding hand songs and reply with '' you're to ugly to be gay''.

IF that's what was being sang, then they deserved something for being such a pair of *****. I just assumed it was the classic "does your boyfriend know you're here?" and all that stuff (which we sing to anyone in pink really). I've heard much more offensive stuff than that. I still grimace when remembering "always look out for turks carrying knives" to Leeds fans, such a hateful chant and not acceptable in my opinion.

The worst thing is, some people don't really realise what they're singing, I had a young lad next to me singing that song to Leeds and when I told him to shut up,he went a bit red, so I felt like a bully, then I asked him if he knew why it was being sung. He didn't know, and was mortified when I told him.

Football supporters in general believe that they can hide in the crowd when shouting whatever they like, this banning order is their way of saying "you cannot get away with just anything", and whilst I think 3 years, and even singling this pair out is harsh, at some point there was always going to be someone made an example out of.

At the Brentford game, there was some loudmouth dick shouting at a young female steward, all the 'youths' surrounding him were somehow amused. I would've much preferred that loudmouth bully calling a young girl ugly and swearing at her was banned.

Good morning all.

Thanks for coming in and commenting... It's made me a bit sad to see so many posters on this forum who's opinions I generally respect who seem to think that homophobia is okay...

It's NOT the PC brigade out in force here, it's just not acceptable to abuse people based on race or sexuality... A bit of light-hearted banter is fine... Like when people call us sheep-shaggers... But when they reference the philpots it's way over the line... And I hope for one that someone threw the book at Milwall as a football club for doing that last season...

The main issue here is not people having 'banter' but of people using negative stereotypes of gay people AS AN INSULT... It's the attitude that somehow being gay is bad and calling someone gay is an insult that's the problem...

That said... People from Leeds are automatically bad people...

Fook me.

Stand up if you don't particularly enjoy watching Forest

Is that chant ok?

Has it offended Forest fans?

It's a song ffs! Grown men singing at each other!!!!

Call me hard but when I've never been and never will be offended by away fans. No matter what they sing.

You think it'll end with this?

Lets all just sit and hold hands and enjoy the spectacle of 22 ridiculously overpaid blokes roll around on the grass.

Arresting people for singing at each other. It needs stamping out in schools. "You're gay" and "that's gay" is common playground talk. These homophobic toddlers are destroying this fine country of "free speech". This "free country".

What can we crack down on next? Aggressive chest beating? The 'V' sign.

ASBO's need to be given if you ask me.

That Forest banter thread is cyber bullying.

Oooooh officer! He sang at me!

Good morning all.

Why is "We can see you holding hands" ok?

What about when you sing "you fat *******" at people? What about that? What's wrong with being fat? Isn't that bullying?

Maybe you can give us a list of what we can sing next time? That way we won't upset you.

"You're the best fans in the land". Would that be better?

God forbid we try and get under your skin.

Have a day in Leeds fans shoes.

Arresting people for singing at each other. It needs stamping out in schools. "You're gay" and "that's gay" is common playground talk. These homophobic toddlers are destroying this fine country of "free speech". This "free country".

Yes... Absolutely this needs stamping out... When kids in the playground use the word 'gay' as an insult that is homophobia that they've learnt from their parents and has no place in any walk of life... It's using homosexuality as an insult...

Do you not understand the difference between "We all hate Leeds" (opinion and POV) vs "You're a bunch of bummers" (using a negative image of gay people as an insult)

Shocking over reaction once again towards football fans.

I saw two lads get arrested after the game just outside the away end, if it's this pair then i think the offending chant (or the chant that the police thought enough is enough) was "get in to em, touch em up"...........

A) There were roughly around 30 people singing this song, why haven't they been nicked.

B) Do they have previous football related convictions.

Like most on here i believe a fine and a night in the cells would have been just. A 3 year banning order FFS. 

Fook me.

Stand up if you don't particularly enjoy watching Forest

Is that chant ok?

Has it offended Forest fans?

It's a song ffs! Grown men singing at each other!!!!

Call me hard but when I've never been and never will be offended by away fans. No matter what they sing.

You think it'll end with this?

Lets all just sit and hold hands and enjoy the spectacle of 22 ridiculously overpaid blokes roll around on the grass.

What can we crack down on next? Aggressive chest beating? The 'V' sign.

ASBO's need to be given if you ask me.

That Forest banter thread is cyber bullying.

Oooooh officer! He sang at me!

That sounds....oh I better not, the police might be vetting this forum

Thanks for coming in and commenting... It's made me a bit sad to see so many posters on this forum who's opinions I generally respect who seem to think that homophobia is okay...

It's NOT the PC brigade out in force here, it's just not acceptable to abuse people based on race or sexuality... A bit of light-hearted banter is fine... Like when people call us sheep-shaggers... But when they reference the philpots it's way over the line... And I hope for one that someone threw the book at Milwall as a football club for doing that last season...

The main issue here is not people having 'banter' but of people using negative stereotypes of gay people AS AN INSULT... It's the attitude that somehow being gay is bad and calling someone gay is an insult that's the problem...

That said... People from Leeds are automatically bad people...

Oh come on.

People use any sort of thing they can to provoke a reaction.

Be it the N word for black people, P word for Asians or just B word for people with no hair or fat for fat people (notice how this is considered acceptable).

Does it really make the people who use these words racist, homophobic etc? They may well be but on the whole it makes them distasteful to some people. Others just accept it because they know it is tongue in cheek words used to entice a reaction.

Have you ever complained about the 'you fat barsteward' chant that has been aimed at people down the years? I very much doubt it, if not, why not?

Down the years family sections have been promoted within grounds and people who do not want to hear vile abuse and chants should know by now that this is the place to go to avoid being offended.

Just so you are aware, if what the Brighton fan is saying is true then I believe that the fans deserved to be arrested and cautioned but a 3 year ban is just way over the top in my opinion.

Imo homophobic or racist chants should be stopped. And why is it an ott reaction to ban them? Clubs have been trying for ages to stamp it out, so when people get caught doing it, it's hardly surprising they are going to be made an example of. Maybe now, knowing the zero tolerance policy, it will make others think twice.

This kind of chant, there's no need for it, but as usual there's some that think it's ok, well it's not.

Some fans are out of order and that's that. They really need to grow up and see this.

I remember when Becks had 'i hope your son dies of cancer' sung at him and then he got slated for pulling 2 fingers up at them!

Like I said, time to grow up.

Be it the N word for black people, P word for Asians or just B word for people with no hair or fat for fat people (notice how this is considered acceptable).

Does it really make the people who use these words racist, homophobic etc?

Yes... Quite simply put...

Nigger and Paki (you can use the words... they're just words without context) are racial slurs which are used as insults to people used in a negative way... The biggest problem with the insult Paki? The fact that people use it for ALL asian people (as you seem to think is appropriate) when it was originally a shortening of Pakistani and adopted by rascists as a slur against all asian people... Nigger is slightly more difficult as it's the conotations of slavery and the use of the word over a long period of time as an insult which is the problem with using it...

Whereas calling people Bald or Fat is a physical description... Not very nice to point it out but being of the follically challenged and overweight persuasion myself I know that people may want to point it out... However there's never ever been any connotations between baldness and inferiority (as there are with rascist slurs)... In fact going bald I was told is a sign of over-producing testosterone... Making calling a bloke bald a complement on his manliness...

The issue is the use of something which is continuing the negative association of being gay with being a bad/wrong thing... So if you have gay friends and jokingly call THEM a bummer, that's entirely down to whether they find it amusing... however if you use the word as an insult it's not okay...

I find it baffling that so many people are seriously defending these pair of idiots. And that their stupidity in defending them is heightened by their ignorance (eg comparing illegal homophobic insults to saying "we hate Leeds")

I hope these people and their children all die horribly in a car crash

Of course I don't - but you know - it's just a bit of "banter" isn't it?? I thought you liked "banter??

I don't think many are defending them particularly but pointing out that the punishment is well over the top.

I was out last Friday and heard a bloke launch into some anti gay/ anti muslim rant in the pub, the blokes undoubtedly a grade A cvnt and deserving of a slap, but at the end of the day he went home, probably woke up with a cracking hangover but still had the option to visit the pubs of Northamptonshire.

Why if it is said down at the football are you banned from ALL football grounds in the country for 3 years, known by Derbyshire police for god knows how long and have to surrender you passports on a semi frequent basis over the 3 years. 

Yes... Quite simply put...

Nigger and Paki (you can use the words... they're just words without context) are racial slurs which are used as insults to people used in a negative way... The biggest problem with the insult Paki? The fact that people use it for ALL asian people (as you seem to think is appropriate) when it was originally a shortening of Pakistani and adopted by rascists as a slur against all asian people... Nigger is slightly more difficult as it's the conotations of slavery and the use of the word over a long period of time as an insult which is the problem with using it...

Whereas calling people Bald or Fat is a physical description... Not very nice to point it out but being of the follically challenged and overweight persuasion myself I know that people may want to point it out... However there's never ever been any connotations between baldness and inferiority (as there are with rascist slurs)... In fact going bald I was told is a sign of over-producing testosterone... Making calling a bloke bald a complement on his manliness...

The issue is the use of something which is continuing the negative association of being gay with being a bad/wrong thing... So if you have gay friends and jokingly call THEM a bummer, that's entirely down to whether they find it amusing... however if you use the word as an insult it's not okay...

So you think that calling someone fat or bald is not done as an insult but as a term of endearment?

I assume therefore you would find calling someone a black ******* would be acceptable on the basis that it is a physical description?

I find it funny when an overweight fan shouts 'you fat b****d' at a goalie who is not fat at all.

...but I wonder what that fans' reaction would be if the player shouted that back at him?

GreenRam, whilst you're correct, people shouldn't be allowed to offend people, I do wonder if people get offended for offended's sake.

Only a gay person could really be offended by homophobia.

Only a black person could really be offended by the N word

...and so on...

---------------------------------------------------------------

People seem nowadays to like complaining and getting people in trouble. There are millions of truly bad people in the world, people whose ACTIONS are that of hatred. I don't know these two people banned, But I would guess that both are decent humans, who work hard, are kind to people in person and would hate to see 'genuine' hate crimes, such as 'gay-bashing' and physical attacks based on race.

When I was young, I went to the BBG with a real racist thug, well known amongst Derby hooligans, and he called Ruel Fox a 'nigger', I laugh and copied, being young and none the wiser. I feel horrified and embarrassed typing that, especially as I have family that are black and with roots in Zimbabwe/Rhodesia. I'm not excusing these two per se, but I do understand, as I said in a previous post (turks with knives) that people join in with no real consideration for what they are singing.

I doubt that anyone was truly truly hurt or offended by these comments. They don't seem hateful (holding hands?).

If someone is genuinely offended, then I'd like to know why. People cannot be offended just because they think they should be, surely???

Archived