Transfer deadline

WilkoRam

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We may have a loan deal in mind but will only use it if Buckenbaeur or Keogh get injured.

This seems the most sensible option to me.

If there is nobody out there that we want there is no point buying just for the sake of it. I would rather throw a younger player in at the deep end first and see how that works out.

Some Derby fans are like the child who gets £20 off his Nan and just wants to go out and spend it. Clough is like the Mum who says "Save it until you find something you really want".

Honest question -  If we'd have signed Buxton from say WBA for a million in the summer would he get all the flack he does? I think Jake gets called because he came from lower league and has got better. He's like a Adsa "Choosen by you" player and not a brand name but he does the same job I think.

Some Derby fans are like the child who gets £20 off his Nan and just wants to go out and spend it. Clough is like the Mum who says "Save it until you find something you really want".

Honest question - If we'd have signed Buxton from say WBA for a million in the summer would he get all the flack he does? I think Jake gets called because he came from lower league and has got better. He's like a Adsa "Choosen by you" player and not a brand name but he does the same job I think.

You think two centre backs is acceptable for the season? One is established in Keogh, the other is getting there but many people have doubts still. Barker is months off fitness in the very best case scenario. O'brien is seemingly always injured as well. Personally think another centre back is needed. Hoping we're waiting to sign Craig Dawson on loan from west brom, I doubt it though.

Nige has already said that he (and his team) regularly maintain and update a list of short term loan options. At the moment we have two fit centre backs, we have the capacity to cover them with an out of position player on a matchday in the event of a sending off or an injury, but it should go without saying that someone will come in on loan if necessary.

At the moment an additional centre back isn't a necessity, it is a luxury, admittedly a luxury we'd all prefer, but why spend the money on another loan signing for the bench when we can keep it in the bank. We have one more game before the international break, and then the loan window is open again. Simples.

We have so many options in midfield and attack, we have at least four very capable strikers at this level, we have some very capable midfielders at this level, and one gem. They seem to have gelled well, this is evident in the movement and the passing. I'm in no doubt that we're more likely to be challenging at the right end of the table this season. Last season was ridiculous, lose two on the spin and you're looking over your shoulder, win two in a row and you're dreaming of Wembley. I can see some poor sides this season that will be adrift by the 35-40 game point, and then the likes of QPR who have no excuse for not winning promotion.

Also, I can see us beating Leicester in the cup.

We have nowhere near enough defensive cover of the quality that would sustain a proper push up the table so I think its a mistake not to get at least another CH in on a permanent deal before the window closes. Lets hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the depths of midseason, which is when we are most likely to need the cover. All we have in reserve are crocks and kids at the moment.

But the quality and experience we want isn't available at the price we can afford / are prepared to spend until the Prem clubs have named their 25 man squads   -   then we can get a solid loan in which will extend to the New Year, by which time Barker's situation will have clarified.

John eustace at centre back is not a viable option for me.

And he would not be for NC either; to fill in during a game is fine. The fact is that if we do take on a central defender it will be on loan. The loan window is shut for just a week which would make it a risk worth taking. I am not a great fan of Keogh as he doesn't have the consistency of Buxton, but I am reasonably happy with the pairing for now.

It depends on what you mean by "Cover" because if you class Eustce as cover then I think that implies that if Bucko did his acl now and was out for the season Eustace would play every game from then on.

Some people are classing Gjokak and Eustace as cover but in my opinion they can only be short term cover at CB because neither are good enough for a top 6 push.

Therefore it all depends on the extent of the potential injury. Hopefully neither of them get injured and continue to be good then OB will be back to provide competition for places.

Finally any CB coming in would be a loan so the transfer deadline does not matter, the loan deadline is important which I think is one month after?

Or simply play Brentford every week!

The worry is that playing quality sides like Blackburn and Leicester we have struggled to unlock the defence

not at all GreenRam, we were nowhere near as positive against either Blackburn or Leicester.

We have nowhere near enough defensive cover of the quality that would sustain a proper push up the table so I think its a mistake not to get at least another CH in on a permanent deal before the window closes. Lets hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the depths of midseason, which is when we are most likely to need the cover. All we have in reserve are crocks and kids at the moment.

Nice to see CH used instead of CB...

I know Nigel will want to take the cup seriously with the previous pretty embarrassing exits but is anybody seriously interested in the cup?

I looked at the Brentford game as an ideal opportunity to get the backup players a game, Hoganson, Gjokaj, Jacobs, Davies, Bennett and maybe even throw young Hanson a game. If we had lost then of course a few would grumble, we lost against Brentford reserves blah blah but we need to give these players the chance to perform. 10, 20 minutes off the bench isn't enough when the game is pretty much over.

We now face Leicester before the biggest game of our season, yes it's only 3pts and I don't care if Derby or Forest fans claim to be not bothered by this result more than any game of the season, ******, absolute ******.

Our first team apart from last season never perform v Leicester, they are a bogey team of ours. Worries me that he will send out a full strength team and the entire 90 minutes I'll be bricking myself not about losing but any injuries we may pick up. Say Hendrick is still out, Keogh or Buxton pick up a knock which rules them out for Forest. It messes up our whole system as we don't have players that can just slot in.

Round pegs, square holes.

We have a first team that is capable of this top 6 but we don't have the squad that Nigel can even trust to get a result against Brentford. Look at the squads of the clubs fighting for promotion, we simply cannot be even seriously thinking about promotion with a squad this thin.

Injuries and scrambling for loans will be our downfall this season. I just wish we could think of the what ifs and have a squad ready to use and stop living for today. I'm not asking for Shaun Barker type fees, look at players like Coutts for 150k, there must be more like him out there, is the money gone and all this Brayford investment stuff is BS? Or does Nigel seriously believe this squad is capable and no players are available that can improve it?

Nigel if you're reading, trust me on this I'm not an expert but we need players that can come in and do a job, give the first team a rest for the cup and rotate over Xmas. Please, Daveo xxx

It's mentioned we have plenty of options in midfield and attack. This is true so why are having those options at the back considered a luxury?

Having a fit 3rd CB for, cover/rotation/loss of form, makes sense. Anyway you cut it it makes sense to have more than 2 viable CB options. It's my only gripe with the squad now. At the back we seem fragile and to be honest it's not like Keogh and Buxton are great CB's. They're good but not above average.

Archived