Transfer deadline

WilkoRam

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mentioned we have plenty of options in midfield and attack. This is true so why are having those options at the back considered a luxury?

Having a fit 3rd CB for, cover/rotation/loss of form, makes sense. Anyway you cut it it makes sense to have more than 2 viable CB options. It's my only gripe with the squad now. At the back we seem fragile and to be honest it's not like Keogh and Buxton are great CB's. They're good but not above average.

Keogh's not above average? I'm guessing the £1m we spent on him is far above the average, and the actim index rated him the 5th best defender in the league, making him their 3rd best centre back. Which is more than just above average.

Keogh's not above average? I'm guessing the £1m we spent on him is far above the average, and the actim index rated him the 5th best defender in the league, making him their 3rd best centre back. Which is more than just above average.

What we paid for him is insignificant. The price tag on a player does not then determine their quality.

It's been said a number of times on here about Keogh and his distribution and reading of the game. I'm not going to cover old ground. I don't consider him above average. If you do then I'm very happy for you.

i'd rather put a full strength team out against leicester and get a result than beat forest, more important to get into the next round of the cup, the leagues over 46 games, plenty of time to make the play offs if we lose.

also, would anyone swap say julian lescott for hughes to solve cb problem?

What we paid for him is insignificant. The price tag on a player does not then determine their quality.

It's been said a number of times on here about Keogh and his distribution and reading of the game. I'm not going to cover old ground. I don't consider him above average. If you do then I'm very happy for you.

You bore.

Didn't realise the Leicester cup game was before Forest.

A loss would ruin the confidence going into the game.

However you could also look at it the other way if we win there could be no bigger confidence booster than winning away at Leicester where we are usually awful

Do you really think that the team is that fragile that losing to Leicester would ruin their confidence. Come on, you have got to be kidding?

i'd rather put a full strength team out against leicester and get a result than beat forest, more important to get into the next round of the cup, the leagues over 46 games, plenty of time to make the play offs if we lose.

also, would anyone swap say julian lescott for hughes to solve cb problem?

I trust that you are joking on both counts. Very good ho ho  :wacko:

Both Keogh and Buxton are good championship defenders for me. 

Keogh is a little over-rated, and Buxton is a little under-rated both at a similar level and over the course of the year I would imagine their input will be roughly the same both have different qualities which 'covers all bases' as it were. I think best of all they're both sensible with the ball, and able footballers - as well as having that grit defensively to make it to that ball first.

There are better in this division, and personally don't think I would find it difficult finding a centre back available better than both of them, like Clough seems to think - but, going into the next game.. and the next game.. and the.. you get the point I think that we can keep a clean sheet because of their efforts, so for me that tells my sub-conscious they're more than good enough for this level.

So far it's 6 games, 3 clean sheets and 3 goals conceded. That's coming up against strikers like Best, Rhodes, Ulloa, Nugent, Wood...etc  

Both Keogh and Buxton are good championship defenders for me. 

Keogh is a little over-rated, and Buxton is a little under-rated both at a similar level and over the course of the year I would imagine their input will be roughly the same both have different qualities which 'covers all bases' as it were. I think best of all they're both sensible with the ball, and able footballers - as well as having that grit defensively to make it to that ball first.

There are better in this division, and personally don't think I would find it difficult finding a centre back available better than both of them, like Clough seems to think - but, going into the next game.. and the next game.. and the.. you get the point I think that we can keep a clean sheet because of their efforts, so for me that tells my sub-conscious they're more than good enough for this level.

So far it's 6 games, 3 clean sheets and 3 goals conceded. That's coming up against strikers like Best, Rhodes, Ulloa, Nugent, Wood...etc  

Totally agree with this, and we had to score Leicester's goal for them...

If either gets injured then we'll reassess and get a good loan in but I've come to terms with the fact that we're not going to use the Brayford money now and hope it comes in handy in January if we need a little boost and some extra quality.

Personally I think it's a bit short sighted. If someone can guarantee that Buxton and Keogh will not get injured, suspended or lose form then fine. That can't happen though. We have nobody to push them, no competition for the place. There's also no guarantee that we will get any someone at short noticed if need be. We could be left searching through the players nobody else wanted to buy/loan in order to get cover when it's become urgent.

What surprises me is the consensus seems to be

Attack - it's great we have options

Midfield - it's great we have options

Even RB - it's great that Smith is there to push Freeman

But for CB (or CH as some prefer) - we don't need options, it would be pointless to have options.

Why the change of stance when it comes to CB?

In an ideal World if course we would like options there as I am sure Nigel would. What sort of player could we attract knowing that they are there to keep the bench warm as cover. Maybe a young inexperienced kid from a prem side? But would that be any better than putting Gjokaj in? I am sure that Nigel has his fingers crossed each time his centre backs go into a tackle but must be taking the risk for what he sees is a good reason.

Personally I think it's a bit short sighted. If someone can guarantee that Buxton and Keogh will not get injured, suspended or lose form then fine. That can't happen though. We have nobody to push them, no competition for the place. There's also no guarantee that we will get any someone at short noticed if need be. We could be left searching through the players nobody else wanted to buy/loan in order to get cover when it's become urgent.

But for CB (or CH as some prefer) - we don't need options, it would be pointless to have options.

Have you ever considered that we have nobody 'defensive' on the coaching staff? Nobody who knows how to coach the position, nobody who knew how to play the position, and nobody who knows how to scout and recruit the position.

I dont care if they never address the issue as long as they play gung-ho like they did on Tuesday

No one is guarenteeing they won't get suspended or injured. But do you really feel like either Keogh or Buxton are the type to need 'pushing' for their place?

Didn't we have him on the bench when we moved Brayford into the centre when thingy was injured?

You will have to forgive my sketchy memory, it's all been taken up by the Jim Smith days, need to have a clear out up there but I can't bring myself round to it just yet.

No one is guarenteeing they won't get suspended or injured. But do you really feel like either Keogh or Buxton are the type to need 'pushing' for their place?

Yes. I think every player needs competition for their place. I don't see why Buxton and Keogh are exceptions. Why do you think they are?

Yes. I think every player needs competition for their place. I don't see why Buxton and Keogh are exceptions. Why do you think they are?

Because Buxton blatantly isn't the type of guy to think 'we have no other centre backs, so I don't have to try as hard to keep my place'.

Because Buxton blatantly isn't the type of guy to think 'we have no other centre backs, so I don't have to try as hard to keep my place'.

Blatantly.

Bucko might give his all week in week out but form is temporary. Look at Sammon, looked shot on confidence last season, poor touch, couldn't score. He's now out the team and has a battle in his hands to get into the team again. He got a start and played well the other night. Am I to believe that last season he just didn't try hard enough? Or did he have some poor form due to confidence etc? Bucko and Keogh are immune from any poor form, tiredness, confidence? There is no need or reason at all to have cover for them. Everywhere else, yes, but for them no need.

Archived