Derby County v Leicester City

-JW-

It was exactly the same at Brighton, but the players were just, well better.. 

no change in system from the brighton game, but the players were poor today and good last week - that was the difference, the way we played today, no system in the world would have seen us get points - we looked sloppy and weak, half arsed performance! 

I'm surprised he's played the same system as last week. It does sum up Nige though, very naive to think it would be as effective at home.

I'm not a fan of this 4 central midfielder type system, thought we needed far more width last week and it sounds similar today. The 4 in midfield are all decent in there own way, but apart from Hughes, there's very little spark. 

I'd much rather see Ward and Jacobs playing. In general this current midfield 4 are solid but pretty uninspiring. Ward and Jacobs might do 89 minutes of ****, but at least they've got something special in the locker. 

How was Russell this week? 3 games without a goal from open play, was hoping/expecting better to be honest. I know it's still early days. 

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel had all summer to trial fitting 4 CMs in.

He chose flat 442 with players out of position. That's a mistake I think he's sort of paying for now.

Anyone else **** themselves everytime we concede a corner and don't get excited when we get one?

"With the amount of money they have spent, i am suprised that we can even compete with them!"

Same was said about Blackburn, more than likely the same will be said if we get beaten by QPR, Boro, Reading, Forest, Wigan...

Next week against Yeovil, if we lose that what will the excuse be?

Never normally blame a ref but I feel so cheated today it's untrue. Genuinely believe the mistakes he made cost us a point, perhaps three (which we wouldn't have deserved).

Penalty, foul for the corner, potential dangerous free kick not given. One of the worst performances I've seen at PP.

Thought we were decent to be honest. Got forward enough and got enough crosses in to nick a goal. I guess it's easy to blame lack of wingers but when Ward came on he didn't do much so not sure convinced about the whole 'CM playing wide' argument.

Coutts was pretty quiet, few good runs in the second half but was ultimately disappointing. Hendrick went missing for about twenty minutes, hope that doesn't creep back in to his game.

Biggest concern was Keogh. Looked frightened to death every time it came near him, misplaced passes, caught out of position. Buxton was excellent on the ball and defensively. If we get a new CB it's Keogh I'd drop right now.

I like Russell - think it'll come good for him. He drops in to the right areas, looks for the ball. A goal in play and he'll be ok, I think.

Disappointed but only by the result. On and up.

Keogh made a couple of bad errors first half, giving the ball away in dangerous areas, but I cannot understand why people say it is he who would be dropped if we got a new centre back.

If you polled the championship centre forwards who they'd rather play against, Keogh or Buxton, they would overwhelmingly say Buxton. Keogh has to play, end of story. He can pass, he can control the ball, he can dribble, he has composure, he can organise, he can lead.

Buxton gives 100% every game but is very limited as a footballer. Get a grip people, please.

Keogh made a couple of bad errors first half, giving the ball away in dangerous areas, but I cannot understand why people say it is he who would be dropped if we got a new centre back.

If you polled the championship centre forwards who they'd rather play against, Keogh or Buxton, they would overwhelmingly say Buxton. Keogh has to play, end of story. He can pass, he can control the ball, he can dribble, he has composure, he can organise, he can lead.

Buxton gives 100% every game but is very limited as a footballer. Get a grip people, please.

i agree, but the fact is that we need another defender. 

Well that was a very mediocre match, particulaly from a Derby perspective. Don't really need to say owt else.

On the plus side, Russell looked a tad faster.

I think you're building keogh up to be something he's not, I especially don't think he can organise or lead, he comes across as being in a panic on the pitch

Agreed. I'm waiting till at least the 12th-15th league game before commenting on how it's shaping up. Today was not the result we wanted but Brighton was totally unexpected.

Very true. If we had lost to Brighton and won today we would all be quite happy. I think 4 points after the first 3 games was realistically what we were looking at.

Obviously early days yet but so far getting a sense of déjà vu. If the last few years have taught me anything it's that the defining feature of Clough's squads is inconsistency.

We can be good. We can be bad. We can be average. You never know which Derby team will turn up.

Archived