The problem of away transport.

Adamrambez

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is more akin to the debate on how the government is trying to get people to use public transport more - I avoid any form of public transport like the plague, it is overpriced, non-punctual, overcrowded and you have the pleasure of sitting next to some of the great unwashed for the duration of your journey with them kindly sharing their mobile phone conversation or contents of their play list. Get a company car like me - you know it makes sense :)

This is more akin to the debate on how the government is trying to get people to use public transport more - I avoid any form of public transport like the plague, it is overpriced, non-punctual, overcrowded and you have the pleasure of sitting next to some of the great unwashed for the duration of your journey with them kindly sharing their mobile phone conversation or contents of their play list. Get a company car like me - you know it makes sense :)

problem with driving is that you cant have a few beers before/during/after the game as you have to drive.

Ah remember the old football special trains? Crappiest coaches, missing windows - particularly on the way back. Thing was they were cheap, went straight to the away town with no stopping and were full. I remember getting these back in the eighties as a young lad, when did they stop and why?

What if the club organised a deal where fans turned up at Pride Park at an agreed time and people then sorted their own car sharing out?

So say, it's Brighton away. Fans turn up at 10am and then organise car sharing between themselves?

Good idea that Rammieib.

I've always though they should reintroduce the football specials tbh. As a club i'm sure we could strike up some kind of deal with East Midlands Trains and utilize one of the many **** trains sat just outside Derby station. 

Introduce an all encompassing away membership which gets you priority on tickets + discounts on roadrider/ramaway and watch our away numbers soar...

What if the club organised a deal where fans turned up at Pride Park at an agreed time and people then sorted their own car sharing out?

So say, it's Brighton away. Fans turn up at 10am and then organise car sharing between themselves?

I"m not gerrin in your car then for Brighton if you're not setting off till 10, we'd never get there man ;-)

For train journeys if you break up the journey it can work out cheaper. Say you are getting a train to Newcastle, if buy a ticket for Derby-York then buy a ticket for York-Newcastle you would stay on the same train but the cost can be a lot cheaper. Obviously this is for online. Just have a play around with the stations. You will be surprised.

Good 4 hours to Brighton, maybe 4 1/2 hours without a stop.

We'd set off early, about 7. Steady drive down, park up, have some dinner, all without rushing. I love to enjoy away matchdays without having to rush owt.

That's always going to be the challenge. I only ever go for the game so happy to arrive fifteen minutes before kick off and then head back straight away. Still, buses don't give you options for much else and unless fans find a designated driver, it's the train for them with stupid prices.

Train companies won't do too much, the amount of money they would make from fans going to games will be minuscule. Dedicated trains won't work as there are so many trains on the tracks these days.

I applaud Stoke for what they are doing as that won't be cheap. 30 buses x 19 games x £500 = £285,000 per year. That's a new centre back to us!

Wish I was going to football but me and family going into london today. I live about 30 miles from central london and driving there and back will cost under a tenner in petrol and take about an hour each way. Getting train would cost about 40-50 quid plus parking at station.

A season ticket into London on train is 4-5k per year whereas my petrol for a similar length journey is under half that.

How did we end up in this situation where driving is often quicker and cheaper than the mass transit train? Bet that hs2 train will be dirt cheap.

Archived