The problem of away transport.

Adamrambez

Hi all, 

Just finished reading a short article on the BBC website about the problem of away transport for fans and how the CBT (Campaign for better transport) is suggesting that if clubs don't start to do more to off-set the cost of away transport the crowds will continue to drop.

Personally, I think crowds already are rapidly in the decline but that's as much as anything down to ticket costs on the whole and how people can't afford them, but the CBT is right in saying that clubs should do more.

I don't think that each club doing what Stoke are doing (Providing free coaches to away games for all 19 away fixutres) is a sustainable idea. Yes Stoke might benefit from it in the short term because more fans might go but I can't see it being something that every team adopts.

However, the idea of rail cards for ST holders or reduced train costs if you can prove you have a ticket for an away game is not a bad idea. For Oldham on Tuesday I looked into catching a train up to Chester where my mate lives and catching a ride with him but the costs were a joke. Not only that but the running times are ridiculous too. You have to wonder why we're charged so much for such a poor service. Reduced costs (Depending on the actual reductions) might make most people turn a blind eye to the scheduling of trains and consider resorting back to public transport.

I also think that as a club we should encourage the idea of car sharing and provide an outlet for people to offer seats in their car. I drove to Oldham on my own the other night, in a Vauxhall Astra that I could have had 4 more people in, and I dare say others made similar journeys alone. It seems silly, as in the US they strongly encourage the idea of car sharing (Car pooling as the yanks like to call it) and it works. I've done it myself when going to see the Houston Texans in the NFL. The simple fact of it is that if i'd had 3 more people in my car that night, each paying £10 towards the journey it would have helped cover what it cost me to drive up there and provided 3 others with transportation a fraction of what it would have cost to use public transport. We're all friends here at the end of the day, all fans, and would i'm sure all get along.

Any thoughts?

Adam

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked into Brighton on the train, at least £60 and tickets, food etc on top. Too expensive!

Midweek away games are a nightmare for me, don't live in derby so would have to get a taxi on returning on a coach so that's another £20. Trains are not an option as all services seem to finish around ten.

Going regularly away from home almost turned into a chore last season. A massively expensive one too! Couple that with our abysmal form and it was little wonder our away followings dipped. They've been low for years in truth

Yep, travel costs are scandalous. Especially if like me you have two people wanting to go from the same household. You can spend £100+ easily. Then you've got the £680 on season tickets per year. If I paid on average £80-£100 for two of us to follow Derby away without using my car then I could forget holidays and day trips to Zoo's, theme parks etc.

The only realistic way is by car. Sometimes though who wants to drive all weekend after a week grafting?

Help us help you!

Car Pooling works really well but in the US but their roads are like 6 lanes wide in both directions!

There wouldn't be room on UK roads.

You are right though the costs are very high. A subscription to rams player is probably a more prudent investment if you want to watch the full

90 minutes. But obviously it's 2 days later and nothing beats being at the game supporting the team.

Thought car sharing made more space? 10 people in 2 cars is better than 10 people in 10 cars. I see that as more room on the road?

Car is the only way we travel unless its Forest/Wednesday away where it's dirt cheap for train travel.

Went on the Alfreton supporters coach a few times last year to Palace, Millwall and Bristol City where we didnt fancy driving and it was good aswell as affordable. For similar games in the future we'll look to use them again.

Cheaper away travel all round would encourage people obviously, with the progress made with the Brighton travel prices last week I'm sure our club would look to bringing something like that into place if enough people kicked up a fuss!

Car Pooling as the US do it is having dedicated lanes, but thats not what i'm refering to. I'm talking about the sort of Car Pooling the US use in which one parent drives kids from 3/4 familes to school instead of taking 4 cars. The same principle would work as Ladyram said, 5 people to a car instead of taken 3 or 4 makes perfect sense and saves EVERYONE money.

Adam

Also, as fans we shouldn't be encouraging settling for watching highlights online or on the BBC because that's not what the team needs. They need us there being noisy in the stands and getting behind them. Thats why the club needs to do what it can now to help us.

Adam

I don't like stoke but can't help but admire what they've done for their fans regarding away travel. I'll go away a lot but probably not as often as last season, only missed three games.

With free travel ala stoke I would go to every game

Archived