Rush live on BBC Radio Derby after 6...

Srg

No - you just have to be in Nigel's squad where he assumes this is a simple transition. Hence you get a big lump like Gjokaj playing at right back when he's clearly a central defender.

It's not like Nigel had Brayford playing under him for all but 2 seasons in his career so far or anything...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No - you just have to be in Nigel's squad where he assumes this is a simple transition. Hence you get a big lump like Gjokaj playing at right back when he's clearly a central defender.

To be fair to Cloughie, when Gjokaj played right back we had Brayford, O'Connor and Freeman all injured, so it's not like he had a choice, is it?

To be fair to Cloughie, when Gjokaj played right back we had Brayford, O'Connor and Freeman all injured, so it's not like he had a choice, is it?

Freeman, Hoganson and O'Brien were on the bench against Birmingham with Gjokaj at right back. To be fair Valentin showed character and used his muscle to overcome his lack of pace. I just feel that we have concentrated on every area of our team except defence. It's like it doesn't matter who plays there because in NC's words you just have to 'head it and kick it'.

Freeman, Hoganson and O'Brien were on the bench against Birmingham with Gjokaj at right back. To be fair Valentin showed character and used his muscle to overcome his lack of pace. I just feel that we have concentrated on every area of our team except defence. It's like it doesn't matter who plays there because in NC's words you just have to 'head it and kick it'.

O'Brien is more of a 'head it kick it' centre half than Gjokaj is and Hoganson is a left back. That was Freeman's first game back after injury and Gjokaj had played well at right back in the previous game. So Clough either carries on with a player that's done pretty well or plays a player that may well not last the 90 minutes (and given that Freeman didn't complete the full 90 when he came back in the next game that's a reasonable possibility). But whatever he did I'm someone would have found a reason to criticise him for it.

O'Brien is more of a 'head it kick it' centre half than Gjokaj is and Hoganson is a left back. That was Freeman's first game back after injury and Gjokaj had played well at right back in the previous game. So Clough either carries on with a player that's done pretty well or plays a player that may well not last the 90 minutes (and given that Freeman didn't complete the full 90 when he came back in the next game that's a reasonable possibility). But whatever he did I'm someone would have found a reason to criticise him for it.

I consider myself duly chastened!

However, I am still left believing Derby's defence has not looked robust for some years now and if we don't address this problem we will struggle, notably away from home.

Tudgay is signing as Hughes's replacement. 

Does Rush still accommodate Glicks policy of (if you're not happy, you can get a return on your season ticket?  :ph34r: )

maybe Eustace was the replacement for Hughes, and the Brayford money was already spent on Russell - it all makes sense now  :lol:  :ph34r:

Archived