Central Defence

AndyB

Is our central defence strong enough for a top 6 push?

Keogh, Buxton, Gjokaj, OB, Barker.

Given two are injured and one inexperienced I think this is where we will fall down. Can we sign another, even on loan?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need a bit of back-up if I'm honest, maybe a youngster on loan from a Prem club.

Unlike most people on here, I think Keogh and Buxton are a very adequate pairing and I don't feel that Buxton needs to be replaced. However, if one of them gets injured, we only have Gjokaj, which does concern me.

Glick seemed confident the other day that we would sign six players this summer we are currently at five, I'm sure a CB will come in before the end of the window.

Given the CB shortage is likely to be temporary due to injuries to Barker and OB I suspect this will be a half or full season loan from a Premier team.

Rather we played Gjokaj than got a young loan from a prem club.

I would be happy if we had Buxton and Gjokaj as back up, think OB falls into that bracket too. But we need a real quality CB. No idea how Barker will be when he returns.

Is our central defence strong enough for a top 6 push?

No!  Just watching highlights of pre season and remembering how we conceded last season from crosses/set pieces, we are short of a commanding centre half.  Keogh and Bucko struggle with balls across the area - just hope Grant will command his area better than Frank or Leggy.  Very surprised and disappointed we haven't plugged this gap.

Unlike most people on here, I think Keogh and Buxton are a very adequate pairing and I don't feel that Buxton needs to be replaced. However, if one of them gets injured, we only have Gjokaj, which does concern me.

I agree, I think they have different strengths and weaknesses but are about equal overall.  I would like to see someone better than the pair of them if we get anyone in, otherwise we mayaswell look at how well the others can perform for backup.

you lot are so ******* negative.

This will be a memorable season and we will bang in over 120 goals, winning  at least ten games 5-4!

Whilst I know you're p*****g around with this I think it's worth thinking about whether maybe it's more about scoring away than tightening up the defence...

We only conceded more than 2 goals on (I think) 2 occassions last year...

Dunno about anyone else but I'd rather have a team which can score 3 in most games than concede none...

We looked quite weak i thought at centre half and they cost us quite a lot of goals. I just never thought we looked that solid. I don't know why they are going to be a lot better this time. A quality addition in there would make a huge difference to the side but as anything it's all about cost.

I think we need a bit of back-up if I'm honest, maybe a youngster on loan from a Prem club.

I agree mate, Gjokaj is doing well and looks as if he may well fit the bill - in a couple of seasons, too early yet thou,

its the weakest link at the moment and we need someone to fill the gap.

Archived