Central Defence

AndyB

I let out a Bananas before typing this, as I can guess the kind of response I'm going to get.

I don't think new defenders are the most important thing, I would rather a proper defensive coach was appointed/promoted.

We've seen, under the management of Billy Davies how good 'average' players can look when organised and inspired. We've NEVER looked organised and commanding in defence under Clough's tenure, I'm not saying that's Clough's bad coaching though, just think a better coach on the staff might've helped. Even though our defence improved when Shackell and Barker played together, it always looked reactionary and 'last ditch' with sliding tackles and goal-line clearances on display more often that interceptions and commanding and controlled tackles.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I let out a Bananas before typing this, as I can guess the kind of response I'm going to get.

I don't think new defenders are the most important thing, I would rather a proper defensive coach was appointed/promoted.

We've seen, under the management of Billy Davies how good 'average' players can look when organised and inspired. We've NEVER looked organised and commanding in defence under Clough's tenure, I'm not saying that's Clough's bad coaching though, just think a better coach on the staff might've helped. Even though our defence improved when Shackell and Barker played together, it always looked reactionary and 'last ditch' with sliding tackles and goal-line clearances on display more often that interceptions and commanding and controlled tackles.

Maybe a defensive midfielder, like Eustace, may help? :p;)

Were you expecting anyone to say "mmm maybe Motsyn has got a good point here. We know he thinks Clough is useless but, and this is where Motsyn's understanding of football is really quite amazing, he can see past this to pinpoint a lack of a proper defensive cosch is the problem. Anyone can say the manager is crap, but it takes a true scholar to appreciate this coaching issue."

Personally, I think we actually need a proper left sided defensive nutrition coach as both Roberts and Forsyth both lost us goals through lack of vitamin b.

Were you expecting anyone to say "mmm maybe Motsyn has got a good point here. We know he thinks Clough is useless but, and this is where Motsyn's understanding of football is really quite amazing, he can see past this to pinpoint a lack of a proper defensive cosch is the problem. Anyone can say the manager is crap, but it takes a true scholar to appreciate this coaching issue."

Personally, I think we actually need a proper left sided defensive nutrition coach as both Roberts and Forsyth both lost us goals through lack of vitamin b.

No, I expected a few so blinded by the romanticism of having a manager surnamed 'Clough' to blurt out some nonsense about me rather than the contents and context of my post. I was wrong. There wasn't a few!

Your CBs ARE your last ditch defensive options... whether attackes come down the middle or the sides...So them blocking/tackling on a reactionary basis is unsurprising...

What we've been missing for a while is midfield cover... When we play well the midfield hold onto the ball enough that everything against us is on the break, which means less attackers against our defence and therefore easier to deal with... But when it's a more even game and the opposition attack in numbers we have very little cover from our CMs... None of them are tacklers...

Hence Eustace...

Is our central defence strong enough for a top 6 push?

Keogh, Buxton, Gjokaj, OB, Barker.

Given two are injured and one inexperienced I think this is where we will fall down. Can we sign another, even on loan?

Quite simply no, we're lacking another CB - even just a youngster.

Buxton should be back up - even though I love him to bits he's not top 6 standard unfortunately.

A good young player on loan from Man Utd like Michael Keane would be good, he did a good job at Leicester last season and made 22 appearances for them and will be all the better for it. I feel we need someone in on loan at least until Christmas, as OB and Barker will need a pre-season behind them during the season i.e. a good 3 or 4 weeks (Barker may even need about 6 weeks) of intense exercise to get anywhere near to match fitness.

I think a few of us want to see us push on, and maybe Barks can come back and be what he once was, maybe not who knows, he's 31 soon... either way we need to think long term if we want to progress, (and i believe NC in choosing younger players is doing just that,) 

In terms of the question posed, no i dont think we are strong enough, its the one peice missing from the build up this year, and i hope we are still keeping tabs,and are going to make an attempt to sign someone like Cyrus Christie .... he's 21 soon....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11710/8818827/transfer-news-coventry-defender-cyrus-christie-wanted-by-number-of-clubs

I think a few of us want to see us push on, and maybe Barks can come back and be what he once was, maybe not who knows, he's 31 soon...

I think he's going to be a really important piece of the side... What we need is someone to organise the defence... Keogh is great but he's more of a leader by example... what we need is a leader through inspiration... someone who gets the best out of the others and organises them...

And Barks himself stated that he wasn't exactly pacey before... Remember when we had Paul McGrath? The guy basically had no knees and he was solid as a rock... Barks' positional sense has always been good...

I think he's going to be a really important piece of the side... What we need is someone to organise the defence... Keogh is great but he's more of a leader by example... what we need is a leader through inspiration... someone who gets the best out of the others and organises them...

And Barks himself stated that he wasn't exactly pacey before... Remember when we had Paul McGrath? The guy basically had no knees and he was solid as a rock... Barks' positional sense has always been good...

Please don't link Paul McGrath and Shaun barker .

I think Clough is waiting until we've played a few games before deciding. We've got some tough opening games so it'll test the defence and obviously if we're conceding lots he'll bring in a loan until Barker comes back. 

I think he's basically waiting on Barker and showing some faith in him, which is fair enough because he's a great guy and sublime defender on his day.

Please don't link Paul McGrath and Shaun barker .

Why not?

That's like saying "please don't link Lionel Messi and Emile Heskey" - They're both footballers... there... link... Doesn't say anything about relative quality does it?

Barker is a slow CB who has serious problems with his knees but who can still play a decent part for us... That sounds quite a lot like McGrath was when he joined us... Have I said anywhere that Barker is as good as McGrath? No...

Get a sense of perspective mate... players can be compared without saying "x is a similar player and therefore must be as good as y"

Why not?

That's like saying "please don't link Lionel Messi and Emile Heskey" - They're both footballers... there... link... Doesn't say anything about relative quality does it?

Barker is a slow CB who has serious problems with his knees but who can still play a decent part for us... That sounds quite a lot like McGrath was when he joined us... Have I said anywhere that Barker is as good as McGrath? No...

Get a sense of perspective mate... players can be compared without saying "x is a similar player and therefore must be as good as y"

Not at all, i dont need to put anything into perspective. McGrath had proved he could play with his dodgy knees before joining us as he had them for years. Also the quality of player does make a huge difference, McGrath could play with bad knees as he was a top top player. Barker was average that was before his knee and now we haven't a clue. Barkers biggest strength is he attacks the ball, McGrath could play from the back, read the game, great one v one he was a total centre half. So your comparison is poor.

perhaps it won't be a surprise, but I agree with emjlc here.

I find the comparison poor, and in a similar vein to comparing John Eustace to Dave MacKay.

Both McGrath and MacKay were arguably world class at their peak, so even a XX% decrease in ability/pace/fitness would only take them down to 'good' level.

Eustace and Barker have been mid-league cloggers at best, both solid professionals, but neither having exceptional ability. I would argue that excellent attitudes to the game have been as important in their careers as ability.

Archived