Blog on Nigel Clough

ChaddesdenRam

I like to look at it this way.

08/09 - Kept us up. 

09/10 - Cleared a portion of the deadwood. Injuries crippled us but also highlighted our dependence on Barker, Commons and Hulse. The academy is restructured. 

10/11 - Cleared more deadwood. Commons and Hulse both left and we barely survived. 

11/12 - Deadwood gone and the academy/reserve/under 21 side starts to produce. Midtable finish however the rot has been stopped.

12/13 - we lost a few key players under different circumstances. Replaced with next to nothing. Levels of football improved as well as league position.

In conclusion I think Clough's done a good job. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the points on here are really interesting and highlight how complex and fascinating football really is!

For what it's worth i think nigel's family association with the club played a big part in his appointment. I personally dont think that matters one little bit and actually serves to make him even more appropriate for our club.

He cares, that matters a lot to me, he clearly understands the importance of the job he's taken on and i for one think he and the board have been pretty brave to go about things the way they have. I personally love the fact that we're bucking the trend in terms of building the club back up from the ground up. I think we'll be in a better place for it in years to come because we've avoided such short termist solutions that blight the modern game.

I'm not saying i dont want success but i want us to earn it, work for it and enjoy it. I can't stand so much about modern football and i'm glad that in our little corner of it we're doing our little bit to go about things in the right way.

Clough undoubtedly has his faults, they're well documented and i'm not ignoring them or suggesting he's perfect but for me they're things he can work on, the detail if you will. I think the way we view football these days we tend to look to find faults and reasons for everything. Everything is so over analysed that we all become experts and know exactly where we're going wrong when we lose. Sometimes the opposition plays better on that given day, tactics dont work out as planned, or whatever. I think it's easy to forget that nigel and our young squad are still learning their trade and they will keep on learning. That's not an excuse, it's a reality and i think it's a positive thing as long as they keep learning from their mistakes.

What you cant learn is being able to see the bigger picture, and i think he's had a plan from day 1 about what he wants to achieve and where he wants to get to and i think there's much more to that than what happens on the pitch. It's about making derby a proper football club again.

I think Rush has come in at an excellent time in the process and so far he seems to be raising the bar to the next level.

The first 10 games of next season are very important in the grand plan, it's a tough start and we could do with finding some decent early form but i'm hopeful that next season things will come together as planned to allow us to take the next step forward.

Now i'm pretty sure i'm over the legal limit to post on this here forum but these musings were going round my head when i was reading the discussions earlier.

Clough has demolished the old building , successfully cleared the site , put

the footings in , done all the groundworks , laid the first two courses of bricks ,

effectively got us out of ground. The next step is to build up to wallplate height

and get the roof on (this coming season ). Is he capable of applying the finishing touches ?

He's certainly going about things the right way , albeit slow , but i'm convinced it's gonna

be a project to be proud of , in the not too distant future..

:)

the footings in , done all the groundworks , laid the first two courses of bricks ,

effectively got us out of ground. The next step is to build up to wallplate height

and get the roof on (this coming season ). Is he capable of applying the finishing touches ?

He's certainly going about things the right way , albeit slow , but i'm convinced it's gonna

Could be done if the board gives him a proper backing throughout the process.

unlike some of yours.................. :p

I preferred my boat analogy. :ph34r:

I prefer to use the analogy that you need a labourer to put your foundations in and an artisan to complete the finishing touches to the structure, nothing as yet has convinced me that Clough is an artisan

Actually notts that is completely wrong. Ask a labourer to put the foundations in and your house is likely to fall down. The unseen foundations hold up the whole structure on top. Doing it your way you will have all show & no substance. You need to look a little deeper. ;)

let's look shall we,

point 1) they say there's no room for sentiment in football, - this is a common saying - fact

Point 1 Quite correct that it is a well known saying - doesn't make it true though does it. Another such saying could be "money makes the world go round" when actually it is something more to do with gravitational pull, basically just because a qliche is used regularly enough for it become a saying it doesn't make it true. Personally if it wasn't for sentiment i doubt i would support Derby, i would no doubt support Manure or some such - who do you support again Mostyn?

I was going to discuss your other remarks but honestly they are far too crass and basically i can't be arsed

I once met someone in Wales who built the roof first.....then jacked it up and built the walls next.

I suppose the underpinning came last.

Maybe thats what watford were doing.

Actually, you got me thinking....I've yet to see a form book go out of any window. ;)

Perhaps Mears had one in his back pocket.

As for the crux of your comment, it's not MY philosophy. It's the way of football. Clubs that don't adapt get left behind. I would say it's narrow-minded to ignore the fruits of the foreign market and foreign players, and had we always had a similar philosophy, you'd have NEVER seen Eranio, Baiano, Stimac, Asanovic, Kinkladze, West, Poom, Laursen, Idiakez, Rasiak, etc etc.

Don't you see the contradiction though? You're saying that the football world has moved on, yet you're looking back to the era of cheap quality foreign imports of 15 years ago.

I talked to Mal Brannigan about this last year and he admitted that it was a different world now. Football is a much more global sport and foreign gems are more visible/high profile. Foreign leagues have also got a lot richer, meaning that a top quality player from overseas moving to the second tier of English football won't be the lucrative deal for them that it once would have been.

I get that we all like to have a foreign talisman player like the ones you listed, but we can all come with a much much longer list of foreign flops that we've had since then. Even Bueno – who we all loved, really couldn't cut the physical side of English football.

Ask yourself honestly – of those players you listed (pretty much all of them established internationals at the time) do you think any of their modern day equivalents would want to come to DCFC – even if we could afford them!

we could still attract a Rasiak, Idiakez, BIsgaard or Reich. I think as a club, we are more attractive now than back then.

Although these were decent players and it's a slightly different point to the one you were making, I prefer the ones we have now. Also taking into account that those four alone would have probably been on the same wages as our entire first-team now. Also for every Rasiak there's a Beck, it's not football manager, it's incredibly difficult to know which foreign players will take to the English game - I think it's a safer and more effective strategy to use mostly British based players.

They might not be quite as good yet but Hughes, Hendrick and Bennett all have the potential to be as good as the players you list and isn't it great that they're home grown?

No disrespect to these players but the influx of average foreign players into the English game are a significant contributing factor as to why our national team at all levels is poor. Young players are not given enough chances at competitive levels and we have a bad focus on buying in 'creative' talent from abroad rather than nutureing it here.

I think there will be a time when we can bring in high callibre foreign players to compliment what we have at Derby but at this moment in time I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the strategy Nigel is undertaking in terms of player recruitment.

Hungry, young, home-grown - what's not to like?!

Archived