Blog on Nigel Clough

ChaddesdenRam

I wouldn't have been against that when he came to us (I wasn't in favour of Clough's appointment originally), but think it would be a ridiculous idea at this point (I think he proved me wrong and is now doing a very good job).

Now there's a viewpoint I've never seen on this forum before! Someone who's actually been won over by Nigel!

I'm in the pro-Nigel camp btw (not far in, just camped in a nice space where I can kinda see the middle, and can wave to the guys in the neighbouring anti-Nigel camp... and WELL away from the toliets...)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't... but in scales of not knowing Waghorn is a more realistic prospect than, say, Messi who you keep quoting as a player we should sign...

I would suggest the below as decent reasons why Waghorn is more realistic:

• Waghorn seems to be out of favour at Leicester, Messi seems very much in favour at Barca
  • Waghorn's value is within a realistic budget for a championship club, to buy Messi we would have to mortgage our ground about 10 times
  • Being out of favour Waghorn may not demand high wages, Messi earns a reported £250,000 a week
  • Waghorn plays in the same league as us, Messi plays in a different country, in a higher league

But, you know that's just using common sense n that... Don't feel you have to...

Where is your ambition? You're as bad as the board, Clough and every entry we've put into the Eurovision Song Contest since Gina G...

I'm not a fan of this theory (you're by no means the only one who has suggested it).

Not just because NC had the ultimate mentor in his Dad, but just generally - have there ever been any examples where this sort of arrangement bear fruit?

Yes, the Robinson at MK Dons. Also, Trollope at Bristol City had Lennie Lawrence. Both got promoted. Just the someone who is used to handling players and their egos, something (I get the perception that...) Clough has struggled with. I think it's a well known fact that the Clough household rarely talked business at home, so Brian was no bigger mentor to Nigel than he was to any other Forest player, as the only interaction would've been 'at work', where Nigel was often treated differently, as the number 9.

I wouldn't have been against that when he came to us (I wasn't in favour of Clough's appointment originally), but think it would be a ridiculous idea at this point (I think he proved me wrong and is now doing a very good job).

Out of interest - am I unusual in having my opinion change this way round?

as I said, if he wasn't going to do it 4-5 years ago, there's no point now.

Out of interest - am I unusual in having my opinion change this way round?

Unique, I'd say

Yes, the Robinson at MK Dons. Also, Trollope at Bristol City had Lennie Lawrence. Both got promoted. Just the someone who is used to handling players and their egos, something (I get the perception that...) Clough has struggled with. I think it's a well known fact that the Clough household rarely talked business at home, so Brian was no bigger mentor to Nigel than he was to any other Forest player, as the only interaction would've been 'at work', where Nigel was often treated differently, as the number 9.

as I said, if he wasn't going to do it 4-5 years ago, there's no point now.

Not arguing the point overall, if you feel he should have had an old head alongside him when he came in you're entitled to that opinion.

But then to try to force it home, you throw away a couple of lines about the clough household and his dad, or about how he can't handle players Mostyn. It's really not fair just to try to pass stuff off like that as fact, just because that's what you assume.

You've possibly also forgotten, ignored or erased from memory just how many players have come out and said they love to work with him, or that he's a great manager to work for. Can't handle players egos or doesnt like work shy, show ponies who are in it for themselves?

What happened to semi positive, semi sensible Mostyn? He was on for a couple of hours a few weeks back but then disappeared again.

For me, I'd rather have seen Clough bring in a really experienced old-head who knows how to deal with big(ger) egos than see Clough replaced. But he's not addressed/changed his coaching set-up in five years, so won't do now.

I'd have happily seen Jim Smith or Joe Royle (or someone similar) come in for those first few seasons and be Clough's experienced assistant. 

I swear I remember reading somewhere that they were changing up the staff, especially with head of youth recruitment going.

Not arguing the point overall, if you feel he should have had an old head alongside him when he came in you're entitled to that opinion.

But then to try to force it home, you throw away a couple of lines about the clough household and his dad, or about how he can't handle players Mostyn. It's really not fair just to try to pass stuff off like that as fact, just because that's what you assume.

You've possibly also forgotten, ignored or erased from memory just how many players have come out and said they love to work with him, or that he's a great manager to work for. Can't handle players egos or doesnt like work shy, show ponies who are in it for themselves?

What happened to semi positive, semi sensible Mostyn? He was on for a couple of hours a few weeks back but then disappeared again.

I'm semi-positive about the future, that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend my previous feelings/opinions/experiences should be changed.

People improve, there's no reason why Nigel Clough shouldn't. I know how I was when I first entered the workplace compared to how I am now. Mega-difference. I wouldn't have employed a 18 year old Mostyn, fresh out of college, but from 23years old, Mostyn was an asset to any business. I see no reason to suggest Clough won't just develop into a top quality manager. That said, I have seen no evidence.

I swear I remember reading somewhere that they were changing up the staff, especially with head of youth recruitment going.

I think Derby missed an opportunity with Short. Although his job here was important, I think he could've been more influential on the first team.

I'm semi-positive about the future, that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend my previous feelings/opinions/experiences should be changed.

People improve, there's no reason why Nigel Clough shouldn't. I know how I was when I first entered the workplace compared to how I am now. Mega-difference. I wouldn't have employed a 18 year old Mostyn, fresh out of college, but from 23years old, Mostyn was an asset to any business. I see no reason to suggest Clough won't just develop into a top quality manager. That said, I have seen no evidence.

I think Derby missed an opportunity with Short. Although his job here was important, I think he could've been more influential on the first team.

What ever you do don't mention to Mostyn about speaking in the third person about himself. It will give him a Billy Davies complex.

Archived