Football and Relationships

abertawe_ram

Insomnia and JohnnyRussell-mania are getting to me a bit so I thought I'd suggest a new topic for discussion: how does football affect your "love life"?

Would you go out with someone who was a die hard Forest or Leeds fan, for example?

If you were going out with someone who supported another team, would you try and convert them to the Derby way?

I've never been out with a girl (no that's not the end of the sentence) who is really interested in football but I've seen it have an effect on other people's lives.
The closest I've come is a girl who claimed to be a Newcastle "fan" (she had a shirt and calendar) because they signed Michael Owen and she thought he was "adorable".  I walked away not entirely because of that but because she was generally a moron.
A mate of mine turned down the chance to go out with a really stunning girl because he found out she was a Forest season ticket holder.
But I also have two mates who enjoy a lot of football banter with their girlfriends due to them supporting other teams (Huddersfield and Swansea).
My mum had no interest in football before she met my dad and now she's been a season ticket holder with the Rams for 10 years.

Anyone got any thoughts or funny stories to share?

I feel I've rambled a bit, so now here's a picture to help stimulate discussion...

"http://www.newkits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Katy-1" alt="Katy-1">

If Katy Perry turned up at your door dressed like this would you let her in or send her packing?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Send her packing until she donned the Ram. 

Met my missus at the football, not quite into it as much as me and she doesn't get wound up when we lose like I do. Loves players like Theo because "he's funny" and "he falls over alot". She does know a fair bit though, I don't have to explain who is who every week which I'm grateful for. 

She'd rather travel the country watching Derby than go to Westfield shopping on a saturday, which although hinders the lads day out, she provides free travel by driving 99% of the time so I'm good with that. 

She doesn't like watching Football on the tele unless it's Derby or England which is annoying when I'm trying to watch Super Sunday. Apart from that the football-relationship tie is good. 

Football has no affect on my love life at all, June 30th been with her 6 years, you should see my right bicep!

She's actually away on our anniversary at Silverstone for the F1, she's a big fan of that, doesn't bother me in the slightest that she shares a love for F1 that I have, gives us something to talk about.

If she liked football however I would have to put my foot down, football is a mans game, I don't want to be talking about what Sammon brings to the team.

I want my missus to be just like Bris....not knowing the offside rule.

When I was 20 I fell in love with a girl who was a fan of the local team I hate. I actully considered if I should start anything with her but then realised that she was more important than sports. Raised a lot of questions though when my friends learned who she was supporting.

I managed to piss of my missus entire family with my intense support for Wigan against Manchester City in the FA Cup final... (I was at the game) 

and did I feel bad? not in the slightest, even when credited with making her younger brother cry... watching Wigan win that trophy was ******* priceless! 

so, no - football has no bearings on my relationship and even when it does.. I laugh it off, football is a game - it is supposed to race arguments, having a girlfriend support Forest on Derby day would make it more interesting for me, unless we lose..  :ph34r:

"http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article378184.ece/BINARY/Rihanna_PicTMZ_274449605" alt="Rihanna_PicTMZ_274449605">

:rolleyes:

It doesn't affect me, me and my Mrs met over 3 years ago at Watford away and sit together in the East Stand and we've both been going as long as each other (since pp) and go about two or three away games a year, wouldn't have it any other way! :)

I've only ever had two girlfriends who went to football with me.

One was Spanish, in love with Pep the player and so cool she used to go in nets for our Sunday afternoon kick about. She'd be tipping 30 yard pile drivers round the sweaters or the tree, diving around like a mad woman, she was off her line like a flash wiping out the centre forward. Fecking hells bells she was ideal apart from the odd occasion when I left my studs in and scraped her boobs. You needed to teach these soft foreigners a lesson every now and then.

She was very feisty though and I'd pay for it when I got home. Before we went out she used to get chased round her home town by Nadal (the footballer not the tennis player). Ugly, fouling, sweaty ****.

The other got so carried away she got into a fight at Wembley so I couldn't take her again. I think if you find a woman who is really passionate about football then on occasions that passion spills out more that it does for the men.

Apart from those two, never. My current missus even managed to stop me playing by nagging so much that I just gave in. I wish I had found a girl who loved it as much as me but I'm also pretty happy to have something that is just mine.

She hasn't once travelled over for a Derby game. In 9 years I've got her to watch one game. Unfortunately it was Burton v Altrincham and for some reason she hasn't rushed to join me again. Now I've got to ask for a pass to get over for the weekend.

2 exs, one was diehard Derby, another was diehard Sheff Weds. Both nuts about their teams and both lifelong season ticket holders.

I found the relationship with the Derby fan quite hard to maintain. She knew all my hooligan mates, drank pints in the Neptune and Tiger Bar with her older female fan mates on match days, and I once woke up to her sitting up in bed watching cricket. I like my women to be more feminine, although she had massive norks! I like the quarrel on a Tuesday or Wednesday about whether we are watching soaps or champions league. It got quite boring and we had too much in common.

The relationship with the Sheff Weds fan was a bit more fun as we were rivals, well, we played them in the cup and it went to penos, I was behind one goal, her behind the other. She wasn't nuts about football or sport, just Sheff Weds, and it was fine. Other things came caused that relationship to end.

In summary, if your bird likes a football team, it's fine. But don't get a pint-chugging, potty-mouthed, football and sports nut..

My girlfriend's a bit of a mess when it comes to football. Her family are all football mad. Her granddad played professionally so doesn't really support anyone, the little brother is at the Peterborough academy and supports them, one Uncle Man U, one Uncle Everton, her step-dad follows United and her Dad used to have a season ticket at Stamford Bridge and a box at Ssausagehorpe.

The result is she has several second teams but doesn't really 'support' anyone properly. Which is fine, she doesn't hate football  and she gets why I'm into it, and that's all I ask. I went to school as the only Derby fan so it's never been something I've felt the need to share with others (though thankfully I've got a Derby fan my own age who I'm really good mates with these days).

For a relationship to work you need to have a good go at each other's interests. She's done that with motor sport, music and comedy and in return I've watched a dance show before. And taken her out for dinner, she seems to enjoy that a lot.

We spend our time posting about a second tier football team on the internet, we're lucky women take an interest in us lot at all so don't get picky.

Since I moved to London it's put a reasonable strain on my relationship. Committing 30 or so weekends to watching Derby is quite an ask for a girl that isn't in to football, and it's not like I'm popping down the road.

Just have to compromise other ways - occasional nights in on Sat when I get back from the match, skipping mid weekers. In return I never, ever complain if she changes plans short notice, wants a night with the girls, asks me to take the bin out. It's a constant accumulation of brownie points that I spend between August and May (and June, last year, when I went to Kiev for the Italy game).

Once, I said I'd book a table somewhere when I got back to London - turns out she doesn't even like snooker.

My girlfriend's a bit of a mess when it comes to football. Her family are all football mad. Her granddad played professionally so doesn't really support anyone, the little brother is at the Peterborough academy and supports them, one Uncle Man U, one Uncle Everton, her step-dad follows United and her Dad used to have a season ticket at Stamford Bridge and a box at Ssausagehorpe.

The result is she has several second teams but doesn't really 'support' anyone properly. Which is fine, she doesn't hate football  and she gets why I'm into it, and that's all I ask. I went to school as the only Derby fan so it's never been something I've felt the need to share with others (though thankfully I've got a Derby fan my own age who I'm really good mates with these days).

For a relationship to work you need to have a good go at each other's interests. She's done that with motor sport, music and comedy and in return I've watched a dance show before. And taken her out for dinner, she seems to enjoy that a lot.

We spend our time posting about a second tier football team on the internet, we're lucky women take an interest in us lot at all so don't get picky.

Don't ask me why, but the way you worded that had me LOLing. So basically in return for taking an interest in all your hobbies, you considered her hobby, eating! hahahahaha

SillyBilly

My wife and I share no common interests. She doesn't like beer, football, F1, and doesn't have the least bit of interest in my work or anything else I do. I dislike her profession (law) and can't stand shopping or soaps. We do alright.

Archived