New Everton Manager?

Catch 23

Whilst I agree with your football principles generally, who's to say that Curbishley, for example, wouldn't change his style at a bigger club? Though Pardew isn't exactly Mr Tiki-Taka is he.

Martinez only seems to know one way, and at smaller clubs in England, it didn't seem to work that well, though of course his hands were tied behind his back. Though it's no use pretending to play with world class players when you haven't got any...

Also, the football that Martinez plays doesn't excuse the bad defending. Obviously when you split your centre backs you're always a little vulnerable, but some of the defending from Wigan has been pretty inexcusable in his time. Can't imagine those errors magically disappearing with better players. Can he organise a defence?

It's all up in the air, I guess. Who's available for Everton at the moment who's better?

Didn't Swansea have the best defence in the league whilst under Martinez in the NPC?

To say he can't organize a defence is abit harsh.. Afterall, he did win the FA Cup, keeping clean sheets at Everton and in both the Semis and the Final..

But you're right, the defence has been poor this season.. But then again, that's to be expected when you play such an attacking formation..

Even Barca have conceded more goals and games this year.. I wonder say their defence is bad, more along the lines of their defenders abandoning their defensive duties..

I've seen Wigan a fair few times and their fullbacks seemed so intent on getting forward they let up acres of space at the back.. Hardly the best way to play against the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd..

I think Martinez deserves a shot at a better club.. And let's not forget, Everton are big, but they're not the biggest.. What did David Moyes do that Billy Davies didn't to get the Everton job?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Davies without a doubt one of the most shrewd managers in the game at the minute, massively under-rated. 

Clough believes in philosophy and methodology, whilst commendable can be a little naive at times - will keep on at players to play the right way, and to better themselves. I don't think we will ever grind out a win under him, not properly! we are either very good, or lackluster because the players are struggling/having a bad day trying to play his role.

Davies believes in results, mind-games and manipulation! he is so good at it, he would get any team in this division competitive regardless of quality, he thrives on efficiency and players doing a role, playing a part - this is why Forest WILL get tight results, 1-0 wins, draws and tight losses (with the odd exception) percentage football, effective football - against cardiff it was plain to see but hard to stop (until the red card) play the ball to Henderson and let the midfield play off him..

Davies will always be limited because of this, if he comes up against a Clough on a good day - he doesn't stand a chance, but, on an off day where the players are lacking - this is the games where he wins, and because in the championship you seen so many of 'these games' is why he is always successful!  

Archived