New Everton Manager?

Catch 23

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Everton job must be the easiest job in the world..

You're under no pressure to win anything, you're under no pressure to win an away game against a good club, you have a really good academy that produces quality players, you're a big club so you have a pull in transfers and all you need to do is finish in the top 10 every year..

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Send them your CV Bris, how could they say no?

• 2 weeks later...

Felt sorry for Martinez and Wigan this season. Had 4 first choice CB's out towards the end of the season. Wigan's wage budget was possibly the smallest in the Premier League along with Reading. Martinez likes playing attacking attractive football and he's got a solid managerial record. And he's still what 40? 

Not a bad manager at all.

The big thing with Martinez is the style of football he plays, at times its the best in the country but defensively he always had problems at Wigan. If he goes to Everton and they manage to keep Baines, I would love to see him in a LWB role.

The big thing with Martinez is the style of football he plays, at times its the best in the country but defensively he always had problems at Wigan. If he goes to Everton and they manage to keep Baines, I would love to see him in a LWB role.

They had the worst defensive record in the league last season and if he is going to Everton i think the possibility of Baines being there next season i spretty slim.

just an average manager who was a good pundit...

They had the worst defensive record in the league last season and if he is going to Everton i think the possibility of Baines being there next season i spretty slim.

just an average manager who was a good pundit...

I'd call him more than an average manager, but Baines is straight off to United probably with Fellani as well 

I'd call him more than an average manager, but Baines is straight off to United probably with Fellani as well 

If Baines and Fellani leave he will be left with a whole lot of not much but this time, the expectancy to finish 5th or 6th instead of 4th bottom.

He isn't as good a manager as Tony Pullis and look where he is now. It just amazes me that a manager can get relegated with the worst defense in the league and still manage to walk out of a job for one of the top 5 or 6 jobs in the league.

If Baines and Fellani leave he will be left with a whole lot of not much but this time, the expectancy to finish 5th or 6th instead of 4th bottom.

He isn't as good a manager as Tony Pullis and look where he is now. It just amazes me that a manager can get relegated with the worst defense in the league and still manage to walk out of a job for one of the top 5 or 6 jobs in the league.

If they do go he will have the money to reinvest, I reckon if they both went to United £30m together?

It's all about styles Mues..

If you look at which managers have done well in comparison to wages, expenditure, size of club etc.. then the likes of Curbishley, Pulis and Allardyce stand out like sore thumbs..

But you'd struggle to find any chairman at a top club that would be willing to take them on as their styles clearly wouldn't match that of a big club.. Could you imagine the likes of Torres and Ba being asked to play as 'target men' having the job of plucking a 40 yard ball out of the sky..

Martinez is highly rated for his work with Wigan done through a style suited for a top club.. It's not very often a team down the bottom plays in such an expansive way and at times play better sides off the park..  Surely with better players at his disposal he could do a far better job than someone who only knows how to play one way (Survival hoofball)

Afterall, Allardyce didn't pull up any trees at Newcastle and Pardew looks like going the same way too..

It's all about styles Mues..

If you look at which managers have done well in comparison to wages, expenditure, size of club etc.. then the likes of Curbishley, Pulis and Allardyce stand out like sore thumbs..

But you'd struggle to find any chairman at a top club that would be willing to take them on as their styles clearly wouldn't match that of a big club.. Could you imagine the likes of Torres and Ba being asked to play as 'target men' having the job of plucking a 40 yard ball out of the sky..

Martinez is highly rated for his work with Wigan done through a style suited for a top club.. It's not very often a team down the bottom plays in such an expansive way and at times play better sides off the park..  Surely with better players at his disposal he could do a far better job than someone who only knows how to play one way (Survival hoofball)

Afterall, Allardyce didn't pull up any trees at Newcastle and Pardew looks like going the same way too..

Whilst I agree with your football principles generally, who's to say that Curbishley, for example, wouldn't change his style at a bigger club? Though Pardew isn't exactly Mr Tiki-Taka is he.

Martinez only seems to know one way, and at smaller clubs in England, it didn't seem to work that well, though of course his hands were tied behind his back. Though it's no use pretending to play with world class players when you haven't got any...

Also, the football that Martinez plays doesn't excuse the bad defending. Obviously when you split your centre backs you're always a little vulnerable, but some of the defending from Wigan has been pretty inexcusable in his time. Can't imagine those errors magically disappearing with better players. Can he organise a defence?

It's all up in the air, I guess. Who's available for Everton at the moment who's better?

In my humble opinion, Martinez will manage one of the major European clubs before he's fifty. I don't see many managers around in England who are better suited to the modern way of managing. He's young but experienced, his teams play football the right way, he communicates fantastically well at all levels, he's genuinely liked by his players by his fellow managers and by most neutral fans. I think he's a shoe in to end up at one of the big boys eventually.

That's why I'm a litte surprised he could end up at Everton, I assumed they'd go for a long term option and I think Martinez would see them as a stop gap, not a final destination. Unless they're about to get investment I can't see what he would achieve there that Moyes hasn't already done. I don't think they can get much better and I fancy he may be a bit more ambitious than that.

Archived