Fergie Retires

SSD

I agree that the media loves Fergie but I also think you are downplaying his achievements.

Mancini won 3 on the spin at Inter (a fact you mention a few times) but there is a huge asterisk attached to it - The first one they were awarded as the match fixing thing broke and were awarded it rather than winning it - the second Juve were relegated and AC docked points and so they were re-building - I am not saying they did not deserve the punishment but even you cannot deny it was a massive factor in the title wins - also whilst talking Inter it should be remembered that at that time their Euro record was abysmal - Liverpool knocked them out one year I seem to remember with 10 men.

Bayern have been the domestic kings of Germany by a long way for a long time - they have won 23 Bundesliga titles, their nearest competitor is on about 5.

I remember Fergie being appointed, at that time, Liverpool were in complete control of English football, it just seemed like it would go on forever - if you want a direct comparison with Germany it would be like someone taking a famous club that hasn't won much in years (like Borussia M for example) and turning them into the side that overtakes Bayerns number of title wins.

Spain is similar if only that real and Barca share close to 55 titles and no one else has 10 - in the 26-7 years Fergie has been in charge only 4 times has one from outside those 2 won it.

Before SAF won his first title MU were on 7, the same as Aston Villa and behind Everton (9), Arsenal (10) and Liverpool (18) so again, if you want a Spanish example it would be taking a Valencia and overtaking Barcas title win record (Real have a lot more but I will make the target easier).

In a sense you are right about pressure though, Real, Barca, Man Utd and Bayern are the biggest clubs in the world and anyone going into those jobs will be under huge pressure - The Man Utd one is different though as 1 man has been doing it for so long - when Moyes or whoever leaves the club, for the next guy it will be exactly the same as going into one of the other jobs but this time round it is different because of the circumstances.

Also your point about Bayern reaching 3 finals in 4 years is exactly what he achieved in 2011

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it's fair to say that some reds are bricking it now, some are even contemplating jacking it all in altogether and have been for the past few years. Now that he's off, some on their forums are jumping ship. And one poster put Anyone but Moyles.

Interesting times ahead for them - and Rooney has asked to leave again by all accounts. Think everyone but Man U as a club is looking forward to next season now more than any other.

SAF is the best manager ever to grace the game, anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete idiot.

Simple... FACT

Hmmmm.

You cannot compare managers between eras and across different circumstances - too many variables. There are those who will hold up the achievements of Brian Clough - twice taking second division clubs up and winning the First division (and with one of them following that up with two successive European Cups which we never hear the last of) - but I should like to throw another hat into the all-time greatest manager ring - Herbert Chapman.

Chapman managed Huddersfield Town to three successive League Championships - then went to Arsenal and managed THEM to three successive League Championships too (actually he died during the third season, but his caretaker took them over the line).

FACT.

Hmmmm.

You cannot compare managers between eras and across different circumstances - too many variables. There are those who will hold up the achievements of Brian Clough - twice taking second division clubs up and winning the First division (and with one of them following that up with two successive European Cups which we never hear the last of) - but I should like to throw another hat into the all-time greatest manager ring - Herbert Chapman.

Chapman managed Huddersfield Town to three successive League Championships - then went to Arsenal and managed THEM to three successive League Championships too (actually he died during the third season, but his caretaker took them over the line).

FACT.

Fergie has seen generations of footballers at Man Utd - and still come out with the same result, had to change his team over and over again, to the same result.

it's just a non entity.

There is no better manager, and doubt there ever will be. 

SAF is the best manager ever to grace the game, anyone who thinks otherwise is a complete idiot.

Simple... FACT

Ok I am a complete idiot.

Is Ferguson better than Clough senior, having won just two top European titles, same as Clough with vastly less to work with. 

Or better than Mourinho who has won titles at several clubs not just one?

Or better than Matt Busby?

Ferguson was a very very good manager, but mostly he has been phenomenally successful because of the Premier League money  and the brand name of Man United. Is it  really worthy of the big hullabaloo on his retirement? Bigger news than the Queens speech etc?   

Fergie has seen generations of footballers at Man Utd - and still come out with the same result, had to change his team over and over again, to the same result.

it's just a non entity.

There is no better manager, and doubt there ever will be. 

Has Alex hacked your account ?

Its not like Fergie has had to change the whole team at the same time , the players

never all reached their peaks and moved on in one mass.

Easy job imo , as one gets past it , get the bottomless cheque book out.. simple

Moyles is a far Leeds fan so I'm not surprised they wouldn't be too happy but I thought they were after Moyes?

Wups.

I know who I meant bloody ell

Somebody on the Beeb said him retiring was 'the football equivalent of the Berlin Wall coming down'.

A tad dramatic I thought.

easily the best manager to grace the game.. no competition, no nothing. 

isn't even worth discussing... 

You seem to be about 12

Some of Moyes buys with "no money"

Heitinga 7m, Fellaini 15m, Yakubu 11m. Andrew Johnson 8m, Beattie 6m, Kroldrup 5m, Bilyaletdinov 9m

Johnson sold for 10.5m, Beattie went for 4M, Kroldrup 3m, Bilyaletdinov for 5M, and Hetinga and Fellaini are still there, Yak although having a good scoring record I don think they made any money back on him.

If you look at the transfer record over the past 5 years, they are 17th in nett transfers, yes he made mistakes, but you have listed 7 players over his whole tenure.

http://transferleague.co.uk/data/team/team-54.htm

If you dont think he is punching above his weight and doing a good job, I hate to think of what job you think NC is doing.

Simple... FACT

I disagree.. The best UK domestic manager..

But there are more out there with far better achievements at European level..

Archived