Fergie Retires

SSD

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is everyone so scared of the Man Utd job?

Why is it a poisoned chalice? Such a ridiculous statement.. How many European finals have Man Utd won in the past 25 years? Oh yeh that's right, a whopping 2..

So they've had some domestic success..

So have many clubs.. Inter Milan won 5 straight, didn't stop Benitez going in there.. Porto have been dominant for 20 years, didn't stop a 30 year old taking up the job.. Bayern have been monsters in Germany, didn't stop Guardiola joining.. Barca have been one of the greatest sides ever, didn't stop an untried Vilanova taking over..

Seriously, Man Utd have never won more than 3 domestic titles on the trot.. It's not that big of a deal.. Why can't someone come in and stay for 10 years, winning 4 league titles and 2 Euro Cups? Why would they still be in the shadow of Fergie who only ever won twice in 25 years?

Feckin hell, move on.. Not that big of a deal.

Why such a dismissive tone? It's possible to disagree without posting in that tone, crikey.

There's not really a comparison with this situation. It's not like this is the team built on the wealth of several managers with vaguely similar ideas - for 26 years, this is one man with a level of control that is unparalleled in any other major European team.

Barcelona is a system which doesn't depend on one, powerful figure. United's structure is Sir Alex Ferguson. Half his team is simply no match for its rivals - you're probably the first to tell us probably that many players who start for United aren't good enough to sit on Real's bench. But Fergie has a level of respect and loyalty from his players that most can dream of.

You can't expect someone to waltz in and have that same amount of respect. You wouldn't expect to warm to your mum's new boyfriend straight away, and things can turn ugly.

Sorry I'm so ridiculous to you, it's just my opinion - you don't have to agree with it, wouldn't mind if you respected it though.

When I say 'SHOULD' be knocking at Europa League door I really meant 'COULD'

'Should' implies Moyes is failing. He's not really. He just has these things within reach and he's not reaching them. He's not exactly raising the bar.

If we made the PL and Moyes replaced Clough (I'd be gutted because his football is boring) then I'd be ok with it because he'll achieve our expectations. But for a club like United, who need have to continue pushing hard, I don't know if he's got what it takes.

3rd is too low for United. And despite Ferguson not winning the European Cup many times despite managing the biggest (1st/2nd)club in the world it's a goal United need to push hard for.

I don't think Moyes will improve United.

United could have any of the brightest managers in world football. Near enough anybody would at least listen to what they are offering. Managers who win things.

Bris discounts Fergie's reign at Man Utd as being irrelevant because they have failed to win the title more than 3 times on the trot.

There's a fundamental difference between England and either Spain, Italy, Portugal or Germany.

Over the last 20 years, we've had more than 2 teams in our league.

Some of Moyes buys with "no money"

Heitinga 7m, Fellaini 15m, Yakubu 11m. Andrew Johnson 8m, Beattie 6m, Kroldrup 5m, Bilyaletdinov 9m

Exactly. They talk like he's on a shoe string budget!!

They get the violin out on football focus!!

No, with those figures I don't expect him to finish 3rd.

And he doesn't.

Interesting how United value personal attritributes over past achievements if they do appoint Moyes, shame our board didn't follow the same blueprint and got a winner in instead of Clough, hang on bit harsh, Clough does has some similarities with Ferguson, he moans like a drain about bad refereeing decisions

There isn't anyone else available and Mourinho is Chelsea bound

I bet there are some impressive managers out there now sat by their phones with resignation letters in hand.

I bet even Del Bosque would have taken a phone call just to have a chat.

Even Jose with his Chelsea slippers on would have read an email if it came from Manchester

I bet there are some impressive managers out there now sat by their phones with resignation letters in hand.

I bet even Del Bosque would have taken a phone call just to have a chat.

Even Jose with his Chelsea slippers on would have read an email if it came from Manchester

I agree with you, so why did they settle for Moyes then?

Exactly. They talk like he's on a shoe string budget!!

They get the violin out on football focus!!

No, with those figures I don't expect him to finish 3rd.

And he doesn't.

That's 2 years transfer budget for United - and 10 for Everton.

I agree with you, so why did they settle for Moyes then?

Perhaps Fergie wants to preserve his record?

Or perhaps he's had some input into the process, and he knows a little bit more than you and Bris? (Although nowhere near as much as you like to think you do.  :p  )

Man utd were not particularly successful before SAF.

3 cup wins , no league titles in 20 years.

bris might like to ponder that before belittling 26 trophies subsequently won.

Sir Matt Busby retired after a long and glorious career as manager of Manchester United in 1969. Clough was manager of Derby at the time. 5 years later, United were relegated to Division 2 and Derby were on the cusp of their 2nd title win in 3 seasons.

Sir Alex Ferguson retires after a long and glorious career as manager of Manchester United in 2013. Clough is manager of Derby.

We will win the Premier League in 2016 and 2019 as United achieve promotion.......

Bet some miserable sods will moan that we didn't win it in 2017 and 2018 as well..............

He also had 7 years with Mainz and no silverware to show for it. Much of a muchness - it's a poisoned chalice and there isn't a man alive who's going to stop it falling apart, IMO.

Why such a dismissive tone? It's possible to disagree without posting in that tone, crikey.

There's not really a comparison with this situation. It's not like this is the team built on the wealth of several managers with vaguely similar ideas - for 26 years, this is one man with a level of control that is unparalleled in any other major European team.

Barcelona is a system which doesn't depend on one, powerful figure. United's structure is Sir Alex Ferguson. Half his team is simply no match for its rivals - you're probably the first to tell us probably that many players who start for United aren't good enough to sit on Real's bench. But Fergie has a level of respect and loyalty from his players that most can dream of.

You can't expect someone to waltz in and have that same amount of respect. You wouldn't expect to warm to your mum's new boyfriend straight away, and things can turn ugly.

Sorry I'm so ridiculous to you, it's just my opinion - you don't have to agree with it, wouldn't mind if you respected it though.

Before you get your knickers in a twist, you just said it's a poisoned chalice and there isn't a man alive who's going to stop it from falling apart..

Stop what from falling apart exactly? The Man Utd machine that Fergie built that has only won 2 Euro Cups in 26 years? The one that has reached only 4 finals in that period.. You do realise Guardiola is joining a club that has reached 3 finals in 4 years? Surely he should be more worried given the Bayern team is far better than the Man Utd one?

Man Utd are seen upon as Fergie's club.. The club existed before him you know.. And as for domestic success, they haven't been anymore dominant in England than Bayern or Barca have in their domestic leagues.. Yet Barca have one of the best teams ever created by their former manager and Bayern have arguably the greatest Bayern team in history that has been put together by a manager leaving at the end of the season.. It's clearly not a posioned chalice for the next manager..

Man Utd aren't the only team that is domestically powerful.. Galatasary, Porto, Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid.. All of these sides are monsters.. It doesn't matter if the club has had 1 manager for 26 years or 26 managers for 26 years, the expectations are the same.. Win the league, win the domestic cups and win the Champions League..

The level of respect that Fergie has is irrelevant.. The players didn't play for him, they played for the club.. Fergie isn't Man Utd.. Man Utd is Man Utd.. It's irrelevant now, if the players don't pull in the required effort for the next manager they're out the door.. And Fergie or not, Man Utd is and will always be one of the biggest clubs in the world which has it's own expectations..

I can't imagine why you'd think it's a poisoned chalice.. 2 Euro Cups in 26 years is 1 every 13 years.. Inter Milan sacked a manager who had won the league 3 times on the spin just because they didn't win the CL.. 3 years! Now that's pressure for the next manager.. He has to deliver CL glory in 3 years or be extremely close or he's out.. With Man Utd there isn't that sort of pressure..

Appologies if you think I went off on you.. I didn't.. I went off on the idea that the BBC have been publishing about Fergie and the fact they still haven't removed their tongue from his backside.. It fustrates me.. One comment says 'Fergie's time will never be emulated' and 'How do you replace the irreplacable' are comments like he's got a 90% win record and has won 10 Euro Cups in the last 26 years.. They're feckin pathetic to be honest and it's not even that big of a deal.. Jose Mourinho has accomplished more and the guy had weaker teams and shorter time to do it..

Archived