Fergie Retires

SSD

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet Brian would have been the first to stand up and acknowledge Fergie on what a great manager he was but think of what Brian himself could have achieved if he had gotten the amount of money to spend what Fergie had.

And something else to consider, Brian's players wanted to play for him - as a manager - not necessarily the club. Can the same be said of Fergie, or was it the Man U name that grabbed the players' imaginations?

I think its unfair to compare managers, its impossible to say how x would of done etc etc 

its a different game and requires different skills, 

I think its fair to say that ferguson has achieved the most in this generation, will that be eclipsed????

of course it will records are there to be broken.....

6 year contract as well, BLIMEY

Though not that long considering Fergie was there for nearly 27. Maybe they think that 6 years is short.

Fergie fergie fergie. Gonna be weird next season, him being retired... much more so for the Utd fans.

Before you get your knickers in a twist, you just said it's a poisoned chalice and there isn't a man alive who's going to stop it from falling apart..

Stop what from falling apart exactly? The Man Utd machine that Fergie built that has only won 2 Euro Cups in 26 years? The one that has reached only 4 finals in that period.. You do realise Guardiola is joining a club that has reached 3 finals in 4 years? Surely he should be more worried given the Bayern team is far better than the Man Utd one?

Man Utd are seen upon as Fergie's club.. The club existed before him you know.. And as for domestic success, they haven't been anymore dominant in England than Bayern or Barca have in their domestic leagues.. Yet Barca have one of the best teams ever created by their former manager and Bayern have arguably the greatest Bayern team in history that has been put together by a manager leaving at the end of the season.. It's clearly not a posioned chalice for the next manager..

Man Utd aren't the only team that is domestically powerful.. Galatasary, Porto, Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid.. All of these sides are monsters.. It doesn't matter if the club has had 1 manager for 26 years or 26 managers for 26 years, the expectations are the same.. Win the league, win the domestic cups and win the Champions League..

The level of respect that Fergie has is irrelevant.. The players didn't play for him, they played for the club.. Fergie isn't Man Utd.. Man Utd is Man Utd.. It's irrelevant now, if the players don't pull in the required effort for the next manager they're out the door.. And Fergie or not, Man Utd is and will always be one of the biggest clubs in the world which has it's own expectations..

I can't imagine why you'd think it's a poisoned chalice.. 2 Euro Cups in 26 years is 1 every 13 years.. Inter Milan sacked a manager who had won the league 3 times on the spin just because they didn't win the CL.. 3 years! Now that's pressure for the next manager.. He has to deliver CL glory in 3 years or be extremely close or he's out.. With Man Utd there isn't that sort of pressure..

Appologies if you think I went off on you.. I didn't.. I went off on the idea that the BBC have been publishing about Fergie and the fact they still haven't removed their tongue from his backside.. It fustrates me.. One comment says 'Fergie's time will never be emulated' and 'How do you replace the irreplacable' are comments like he's got a 90% win record and has won 10 Euro Cups in the last 26 years.. They're feckin pathetic to be honest and it's not even that big of a deal.. Jose Mourinho has accomplished more and the guy had weaker teams and shorter time to do it..

I'm not claiming he's the best thing since sliced bread - he's not the greatest of all time. He's probably the best in English football of the modern era.

However, Fergie built United around him. All the other successful clubs in Europe can lose their manager, and nothing much would change...not sure any major European club gives its manager as much power as Fergie.

United players are used to discipline, the man management style, the training methods, and the unrivalled protection he offers. Mourinho is the only one who can offer them that, but whether he can come in instantly and stop it from falling apart, I really don't know.

Half the team has never been managed by anyone else for any significant length of time. I mean, look at Scholes and Giggs...they get credit themselves for having such long careers, but someone had to manage them.

I know the stats at United. But there's pressure to finish in the top 4. Can you imagine United not finishing in the top 4? Forget the psychological impact of that, and forget the outcry of the fans - that's going to be a massive financial hit for a club which assumes the Champions League just happens to them every season.

United weren't monsters when Fergie took over....they became a monster under him.

I'm not claiming he's the best thing since sliced bread - he's not the greatest of all time. He's probably the best in English football of the modern era.

However, Fergie built United around him. All the other successful clubs in Europe can lose their manager, and nothing much would change...not sure any major European club gives its manager as much power as Fergie.

United players are used to discipline, the man management style, the training methods, and the unrivalled protection he offers. Mourinho is the only one who can offer them that, but whether he can come in instantly and stop it from falling apart, I really don't know.

Half the team has never been managed by anyone else for any significant length of time. I mean, look at Scholes and Giggs...they get credit themselves for having such long careers, but someone had to manage them.

I know the stats at United. But there's pressure to finish in the top 4. Can you imagine United not finishing in the top 4? Forget the psychological impact of that, and forget the outcry of the fans - that's going to be a massive financial hit for a club which assumes the Champions League just happens to them every season.

United weren't monsters when Fergie took over....they became a monster under him.

Seriously, I can assure you Man Utd were big before Fergie went there.. They were one of the biggest clubs in England prior to Fergie, and they already had the biggest stadium with the largest fanbase..

You say someone has had to manage them.. But that could have been anyone, these are top pros we're talking about.. Frank Lampard has flourished under 8 different managers, his level has consistantly been high.. He didn't all of a sudden become a good player when Mourinho walked through the door and his level didn't drop when he left..

You say the pressure is on Man Utd to get in the top 4.. That's no different to any other club.. Do you think Guardiola will still be in the Bayern job if they finish outside the top 4? There have been rumours of potential sackings at Barca because Vilanova didn't guide them to the CL final from his sickbed, do you think the Real Madrid board would accept Atletico finishing above them? There is pressure at all of the top clubs, Utd isn't unique..

Every manager waltzing in to a top club is going to be under pressure because they all have expectations.. Regardless of whether the team has just won the CL, whether they've had 7 managers in 4 years (Real Madrid 2003-07) or whether they've only had 1 manager for 26 years..

I still don't get the big deal..

Seriously, I can assure you Man Utd were big before Fergie went there.. They were one of the biggest clubs in England prior to Fergie, and they already had the biggest stadium with the largest fanbase..

You say someone has had to manage them.. But that could have been anyone, these are top pros we're talking about.. Frank Lampard has flourished under 8 different managers, his level has consistantly been high.. He didn't all of a sudden become a good player when Mourinho walked through the door and his level didn't drop when he left..

You say the pressure is on Man Utd to get in the top 4.. That's no different to any other club.. Do you think Guardiola will still be in the Bayern job if they finish outside the top 4? There have been rumours of potential sackings at Barca because Vilanova didn't guide them to the CL final from his sickbed, do you think the Real Madrid board would accept Atletico finishing above them? There is pressure at all of the top clubs, Utd isn't unique..

Every manager waltzing in to a top club is going to be under pressure because they all have expectations.. Regardless of whether the team has just won the CL, whether they've had 7 managers in 4 years (Real Madrid 2003-07) or whether they've only had 1 manager for 26 years..

I still don't get the big deal..

Quick question - were you born when Fergie took over? if not I do find it difficult that you can appreciate the size of the task he had - big club or not. I think the problem is that he has been there so long everyone looks at what he is leaving rather than what he took on.

When I was at school in Derbyshire you could not move for Liverpool fans (from Derby) now I live in Borneo and I cannot move for Man Utd fans (Malaysians) - very annoying, but it is obvious that he played a big part in that and the fact that no-one has stayed in a top job for anywhere like as long as him in the modern era speaks volumes. Pep needed a year out after a relatively short spell managing Barca.

SAF's footprint is all over that club in a way that no-one else's is in any of the top 4-5 global clubs - as I said on an earlier post - for the guy after Moyes it will be exactly the same as taking over the Bayern job or the Real Job etc but taking on the MU job after SAF is different and you would have to be very naive to think different

TobyWanKenobi

So.... The same people who think Nigel is no good for Derby happen to be the same people who think Alex Ferguson hasn't won enough for Manchester United.

I wonder what you need to do to impress kids these days?

So.... The same people who think Nigel is no good for Derby happen to be the same people who think Alex Ferguson hasn't won enough for Manchester United.

I wonder what you need to do to impress kids these days?

For some of those on here (including old one-subject himself), I reckon a balloon on a stick would be enough.

I met him once at a bash in Scotland, he was quite happy to chat til I mentioned I was a Derby fan; at that he literally just turned around and walked off! Not forgotten that to this day!

Anyway, he's been brilliant for football and I wish him all the best.

I met him once at a bash in Scotland, he was quite happy to chat til I mentioned I was a Derby fan; at that he literally just turned around and walked off! Not forgotten that to this day!

Anyway, he's been brilliant for football and I wish him all the best.

Probably related to the number of times we've won at Old Trafford.

Archived