Fergie Retires

SSD

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bookies don't regularly get bets like this wrong and they clearly think Moyes is the appointment. As Duracell says, this will have been planned/negotiated over at least 2/3 weeks if not longer. They've done well to keep it quiet this long.

But for all his trophies I won't miss him - the constant bullying of journalists, referees, other managers (when their teams were a threat) or the BBC, was a side to him that did the game no good or his club either. His refusal to be interviewed by the BBC for years after they had the temerity to question allegedly dodgy dealings by his family showed the power he had over the whole game. No one was capable or willing to bring him under control. Other clubs or managers would have been brought into line.

I pity the guy that follows him. He will be like Busby was - a ghost hanging around in the boardroom, always with a view, always influencing.

Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Although sometimes I find the guy quite loathsome regards haranguing referees and beign a bad sport I have to admire the fact that he is a winner - something we are sorely lacking at Derby - if Clough had half of Ferguson's winning mentality we would be in the Premiership by now

David Moyes? LOL

The guy that has done nothing for 10 years.. The guy that hasn't won a single trophy and hasn't managed to get them in the CL despite the downfalls of Arsenal and Liverpool and being at a club whose in the top 7 for biggest in the country.. His European record is diaboliical..

Laudrup has done more in 1 season than Moyes has in 10.

Go on Man Utd, get in Moyes and watch the dynasty fall apart.. Man City must be licking their lips on this one

The bookies don't regularly get bets like this wrong and they clearly think Moyes is the appointment. As Duracell says, this will have been planned/negotiated over at least 2/3 weeks if not longer. They've done well to keep it quiet this long.

But for all his trophies I won't miss him - the constant bullying of journalists, referees, other managers (when their teams were a threat) or the BBC, was a side to him that did the game no good or his club either. His refusal to be interviewed by the BBC for years after they had the temerity to question allegedly dodgy dealings by his family showed the power he had over the whole game. No one was capable or willing to bring him under control. Other clubs or managers would have been brought into line.

I pity the guy that follows him. He will be like Busby was - a ghost hanging around in the boardroom, always with a view, always influencing.

I take the opposite view on the BBC, it was good to see somebody stand up to an organisation that generally gets it's own way. His United career can be split in 2 periods, for the first part of the reign winning was everything and when they did start to win it was done in a graceless manner.

In the last 12 years or so they have changed, most of the time a very well disciplined team and great to watch.

His greatest legacy he didn't knock Liverpool of the perch, George Graham and Arsenal did a lot more but he made certain they never got back to the top again.

Journalists he gave them what they deserved nothing, referees I've never thought United got a great deal compared with other big clubs, other managers have tried to take him on but come off second like Benitez and Dalglish, impossible act to follow but it would amaze me if Mourinho was not next United manager.

I don't reckon Fergie ever commanded the loyalty from his players or the respect from other managers that Sir Matt Busby did, He When Wilf McGuimess took over from Sir Matt he inherited a team which had passed its sell-by date.

I presume someone like Mourinho will be parachuted in and offfered the same free hand to ride roughshod over referees, buy world -class players to grace the subs bench to deny other teams the chance of having them in their first team.

In my opinion it is more difficult to manage a team like Derby with their limitations financially etc. than to manage Manyoo with all the advantages that go with the job.

I don't reckon Fergie ever commanded the loyalty from his players or the respect from other managers that Sir Matt Busby did, He When Wilf McGuimess took over from Sir Matt he inherited a team which had passed its sell-by date.

I presume someone like Mourinho will be parachuted in and offfered the same free hand to ride roughshod over referees, buy world -class players to grace the subs bench to deny other teams the chance of having them in their first team.

In my opinion it is more difficult to manage a team like Derby with their limitations financially etc. than to manage Manyoo with all the advantages that go with the job.

Matt Busby was before my time but it is hard to imagine a manager having as much respect within the game as Fergie. He has also in recent times won against teams with far more money available to them.

A lot of people in the media don't like Fergie and don't like Man Utd, partly because he gives them nothing, partly because a lot are Cockneys and Scousers, that leads to a lot of myths like the referee's influence. Fergie was clever, forceful and driven, his prolonged success came from that, not from any Man Utd advantages.

Matt Busby was before my time but it is hard to imagine a manager having as much respect within the game as Fergie. He has also in recent times won against teams with far more money available to them.

A lot of people in the media don't like Fergie and don't like Man Utd, partly because he gives them nothing, partly because a lot are Cockneys and Scousers, that leads to a lot of myths like the referee's influence. Fergie was clever, forceful and driven, his prolonged success came from that, not from any Man Utd advantages.

Unfortunately (!) I am of Matt Busby's era and he did have the same, if not greater, level of respect throughout the game as SAF does.

From the outside there is much to admire about SAF.  He is driven and clever and forceful.  He has created some excellent teams that have played good football; he has developed players from within, often.  But, in my view, he has a flaw which is significant and which reflects today's game, not that of Matt Busby, who was equally, if not more, clever, forceful and driven - and who also created several good footballing teams.  Though, as Brummie says, left them with a poor side that eventually went down.

That flaw is the way in which he tends to use the media and his club's pre eminence, to bully when he has no need to.  If a journalist questions him or his team then he bans them (therefore not a great career move, so you don't); if another manager or team starts to challenge then he deliberately undermines them through the media; if a referee has the temerity to do something wrong (or right) then ditto.  It's a deliberate tactic born out of the far greater media exposure that football has today, something not available to Busby and not the culture of that time.

My point is that he has had no need to do it because his club have been and are amongst the top two richest clubs in the world (with Real Madrid) for many years.  He could have still won as many trophies but set (in my view) a better example, but didn't.

I also think that the media - everyone from the BBC/Radio5 live sports department to print and other outlets - have been pretty craven in their dealings with him, as have the Premier League hierarchy and FA.  Not one have challenged him, apart from the BBC's current affairs department.  And they soon learnt their lesson.

Moyes and Fergie are leaving their clubs, which means Clough moves up another two places in the longest serving manager league...

3 places, Kenny Jackett left millscum after 6 years, and has been linked with Wolves, however only an idiot would take that job.

David Moyes? LOL

The guy that has done nothing for 10 years.. The guy that hasn't won a single trophy and hasn't managed to get them in the CL despite the downfalls of Arsenal and Liverpool and being at a club whose in the top 7 for biggest in the country.. His European record is diaboliical..

Laudrup has done more in 1 season than Moyes has in 10.

Go on Man Utd, get in Moyes and watch the dynasty fall apart.. Man City must be licking their lips on this one

I agree about Moyes being a white elephant, so he's managed Everton successfully on a shoe string budget and punched above their weight but so what, what has he actually ever won there, lot of Mancs secretly are hoping for Mourinho but why would he go to Old Trafford anyway from Real Madrid?

Has Alan Curbishley been in the Sky Studio to rule himself out yet??

Nope. Very ominous indeed.

Also surprised that we haven't heard the expert opinion of Ian Dowie yet, I'm awaiting his verdict with baited breath because I'm not really sure what to think yet.

Nope. Very ominous indeed.

Also surprised that we haven't heard the expert opinion of Ian Dowie yet, I'm awaiting his verdict with baited breath because I'm not really sure what to think.

Has the Welsh blonde that shall not be mentioned commented for the BBC yet.

Klopp is the best person for the job, the team he has built at Dortmund is the same way Fergie built his team, with young home grown players with a touch of foreign influence.

He also had 7 years with Mainz and no silverware to show for it. Much of a muchness - it's a poisoned chalice and there isn't a man alive who's going to stop it falling apart, IMO.

Archived