Penalty Taker

Stive Pesley

As the taker has now  missed three out of the last three penalties we've had - who would you like to see take over the duties?

I think I speak for everyone who was at the Ssausagehorpe League Cup game at the start of the season when I say that Janke Buxton's penalty was the best out of everyone.

As you might expect, he leathered it full pelt. BAM!

I vote for Jakey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward is good at Pens but his one against Brizzle was awful, doubt he'll do that again so I'd stick with him.

It's the back up that's more concerning. I think I speak for everyone when I say NOT SAMMON. Bavies or Jacobs will do for me.

You don't speak for me.

I want to see our strikers wanting to take penalties and not shirk responsibility.

Don't think either of Sammons penalties have been awful in comparison to the one that Ward missed.

Yesterday was close to being a perfect penalty and on another day would have gone in off the inside of the post. As it was he just had to settle for an assist!

Will be honest though and admit I was praying for a free kick and not a penalty when Jacobs got tripped!

You don't speak for me.

I want to see our strikers wanting to take penalties and not shirk responsibility.

Don't think either of Sammons penalties have been awful in comparison to the one that Ward missed.

Yesterday was close to being a perfect penalty and on another day would have gone in off the inside of the post. As it was he just had to settle for an assist!

Will be honest though and admit I was praying for a free kick and not a penalty when Jacobs got tripped!

How was that a perfect penalty?

It was heading in the right direction I.e. the corner of the goal but it was a scuff.

A penalty is a penalty at the end of the day - I've never missed a penalty in 15 years of taking them, I always go the same way and hit the ball exactly the same, even if the keeper dives the right way he won't save it because the ball can travel a lot faster than he can. 

Aim for corners, and since I'm nowhere near competent enough to hit the top corners every time I don't bother trying. 

And assuming the majority of people are right handed (which they are) then go with the side he has to dive on to his left. 

Ellington had an unreal nack, and such a superb technique when it came to penalties without a doubt the best I've ever seen - but should be pretty simple to take a penalty, like I said - I've never had a problem and never understood why people do and assume they're just being to arrogant with their shot - aiming for top corners, trying to outwhit a goalkeeper by going straight down the middle...etc 

A penalty is a penalty at the end of the day - I've never missed a penalty in 15 years of taking them, I always go the same way and hit the ball exactly the same, even if the keeper dives the right way he won't save it because the ball can travel a lot faster than he can. 

Aim for corners, and since I'm nowhere near competent enough to hit the top corners every time I don't bother trying. 

And assuming the majority of people are right handed (which they are) then go with the side he has to dive on to his left. 

Ellington had an unreal nack, and such a superb technique when it came to penalties without a doubt the best I've ever seen - but should be pretty simple to take a penalty, like I said - I've never had a problem and never understood why people do and assume they're just being to arrogant with their shot - aiming for top corners, trying to outwhit a goalkeeper by going straight down the middle...etc 

Ron Willems did this every time, never missed for Derby

If Sammon's penalty was a couple of inches closer to the right, it would have rolled in and we'd have said 'ooh, audacious', rather than 'you bloody idiot, you missed'. But remember the penalty Commons scored in the same fixture two seasons ago. Pretty much the same technique, catch the keeper off guard and roll it into the other corner.

But all the same, I figured Sammon would miss somehow. I would like to see Bavies or Hendrick take the penalty if Ward is not there. Or Martin. Or Bucko. But well done to Sammon for taking the responsibility.

Ward is good at Pens but his one against Brizzle was awful, doubt he'll do that again so I'd stick with him.

It's the back up that's more concerning. I think I speak for everyone when I say NOT SAMMON. Bavies or Jacobs will do for me.

How many has Ward taken this year?

I seem to remember his one at Charlton not really being very good, just the keeper went the other way. 

As a professional footballer you should be able to put 90% of penalties fairly close to the corner of the goal. If you do this and the keeper gets there then fair enough, if you roll it down the middle and the keeper picks it up, then you're a tw*t.

How many has Ward taken this year?

I seem to remember his one at Charlton not really being very good, just the keeper went the other way.

As a professional footballer you should be able to put 90% of penalties fairly close to the corner of the goal. If you do this and the keeper gets there then fair enough, if you roll it down the middle and the keeper picks it up, then you're a tw*t.

I think watford and charlton. All our penalties this year have been scored by ward.

I think.

I'd give the next one Sammon if we get another. I'm sure he'll want to take it too. 

Obviously won't be the popular decision on here. 

Why? 

Would make absolutely no sense. He'll obviously be sh*tting himself which will make it even more likely that he'll miss.

If we're like 3-0 up or something then ye I agree, if it's an important penalty, then there's no reason as to why he should take it. 

The best penalty taker should take the penalties, simple as that

Archived