Penalty Taker

Stive Pesley

He scuffed it, it wasn't even a perfect strike of the ball as he intended. I realise folk are trying to praise him where they can but that was nowhere near the perfect penalty, even if it had gone in.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

It was approximately 2 inches from being the perfect penalty in my eyes.

And I am not trying to praise him because at the end of the day it was another missed penalty.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammon - The problem is he misses and lacks the confidence but in fairness his pens weren't bad.

Ward - Either smashes it down the middle or into the bottom left, good record should take them if fit and on the pitch.

Davies - Can imagine him having a good penalty, but he is not a regular first team starter so he can't be the regular taker.

Martin - I think he would be a good penalty taker. Good ball striker can place it into either corner without making it too obvious. And apparently he did use to take a few for Norwich.

Gareth Roberts - he's never missed? GR3 for the pens.

Hendrick - finally Hendrick being talken about like he is a lampard type player, well lampard is a phenomenal penalty taker because he varies it up loads. Could Jeff become our regular at the age of 23

Coutts.

He's got the arrogance to back himself to take a penalty and score it, I reckon. Bit like Balotelli.

Would like to see Sammon get another opportunity soon but it's difficult to see him succeeding (at penalties or anything else) with some of the quite incredible slating he gets from 'supporters'.

Nigel said on RD that they'll definately have somebody else do it.

I'm just waiting for someone to say that Wardy missing today was Sammons fault...

Nigel's post match interview

We are looking at who will take penalties.

Expect Bryson, Hendrick, Keogh, Martin or Buxton to have the next one.

It's only taken Clough 4 consecutive penalty misses to twig that he needs to "look at who will take penalties", nice to see Nige is quick on the uptake

Who said after one penalty, wasn't me? Not sure what you're on about tbh

He was implying that your criticism of Clough was incorrect, because, you shouldn't sack a players right to take a penalty after missing one. 

Sammon has missed 2 and now has Ward... so, if not after one penalty - it would logically have to be two... which Clough is now openly said he is doing.

So, all in all - your criticism of Clough was actually you agreeing with his decision, therefore invalidating the criticism. 

Who said after one penalty, wasn't me? Not sure what you're on about tbh

It was you who said " glad to see clough is quick on the uptake" implying you think clough should have changed it sooner.

Admittedly you said it was after 4 penalties however if you look at the events then you will see that for Clough to have changed it would have been after 1 miss.

Penalty 1 - Sammon hits the target keeper puts it onto the bar (salmon misses one penalty)

Penalty 2 • oh the taker has changed to be Ward - who passes it to the Keeper

Penalty 3- Sammon has another go (it would be harsh to stop him after missing only 1 before) hits the post

Penalty 4- Ward gets chance to make amends for his first miss of the season (harsh not to let him) bit again dollies one up to the keeper.

I think its unfair berating Clough for not giving the penalty to another player.

I think its unfair berating Clough for not giving the penalty to another player.

Genuinely not trying to berate Clough just having my little moan, the issue is more symptomatic with our goal scorers in adverted commers not being that

Archived