Give Sammon a break

BrysonsBoys

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really tried to like sammon but I'm starting to struggle. He does some things that I would be annoyed to see from my team mates in the Sunday league. Yesterday when he was coming out from defense with the ball he somehow managed to over hit it by a good 5 yards while trying to dribble. Yes these things happen but that's the kind of thing that's happening far to regularly and fans will look on and think they could of done better themselves and probably be right.

Sammon has his benefits but if we're going to push up the league he should really be coming off the bench and hassling defenders towards the end of games, he shouldn't be our main striker.

I still hope he might come back next season to be a really good player for us but my hopes are fading!

A few things I have noticed with Sammon at home the last few games.

-Although I do not think he is the most comfortable at winning headers, he does a lot to put off defenders. A lot of the time, when defenders go up against him they can only get headers into space. What we have missed with Bryson being out (and out of form) has been someone who picks up those loose balls and start an attack. Derby did a lot more yesterday to pick up the second ball, hence I think we had more of a foot hold on the game.

-When Sammon does pick up the ball, there are usually three defenders around him and not many attacking options. With Martin this has improved because he plays a lot closer to Sammon than Ward ever did (I think because Ward was scoring, his overall play since the new year has been overlooked and has maybe shown Sammon up a little more. Not a knock on Ward because his goals have been important, but I dont think Ward and Sammon is a central partnership), but he has to battle to find any space at all.

I'm not trying to outright defend him, he does sometimes make the wrong decision and does not get enough chance for himself. But I think Sammon has had to take the brunt of a lot of frustrations which have not really helped. He had some big shoe's to fill in replacing Davies, a classy, confident and popular striker who could score out of nothing. Added to this we all hoped Robinson's form would have kicked on this season when it hasn't, leaving us with fewer attacking options putting more pressure on him. Finally I think Bryson's form has not helped in recent weeks, as before he was injured he seemed half a yard off, chasing shadows and giving away needless free kicks instead of being an extra attacking option.

Football - but I'll leave it to him to expand if he feels the need. Not fair to 'out' posters real identities, although his is not exactly a well kept secret.

That has surprised me, but then again, when I listen to some of the gibberish that Roger D comes out with on the radio :)

I thought Sammon had a very good first half, the second half less so. Although on the cross from Ward that you have discussed I thought he should have made more of an effort to get in front of the defender (or even closer to him), it was crossed poorly though.

If agree with this. Maybe not the best ball but in my eyes it was the right ball. I don't think Ward was great yesterday but at least he offers some pace and runs at defenders. Think how slow our team would be without him.

I actually, against popular opinion, think Sammon was better 2nd half. He got the ball on the edge of the box and played in Martin a few times, which is more than he did first half.

I think the abuse he gets is outrageous. No player should be booed on your team and certainly not at kick off etc. for some as soon as player gets in their head as being poor he is to blame for everything.

I still don't see why he gets a start every game.

Sammon is what he is.

Hard working. 100% grafter.

100% committed to derby county

Doesn't moan.

Gets on with it despite the abuse.

you've got to admire him for that.

But did you know that Troy Dyer has actually played in goal for England - he might not be quite as un-knowledgeable as some people imagine.

I've represented England myself - it's no big deal.

You could also say that about a labourer or bricklayer, correct me if I'm wrong though didn't we buy Sammon as a professional footballer.

It was our choice to buy him.

Don't derby fans just love to have someone to hate......

Sammon, Teale, Pearson, Barnes, Billy Davies, Connolly, Mears, Savage, McEverley, Varney, Robinson..........even Coutts is starting to cop for it.

he had scored 8 in 37 starts, by the time he scored against Cardiff.

that's roughly 1 in 4.5 games. He should get a couple over the nibe games from then (i know we have already had 2 of them) so he could push it close

1 in 4.5 games <_< I might put a bet on that Keogh over takes him by the end of the season

I remember a player we were apparently after at the start of last season, a striker on a free transfer from Brighton. Good thing we didn't sign him though, he only got what... 6 goals in 38 games during his first season in the Championship...

...currently on 29 in 33 games this season...

I remember a player we were apparently after at the start of last season, a striker on a free transfer from Brighton. Good thing we didn't sign him though, he only got what... 6 goals in 38 games during his first season in the Championship...

...currently on 29 in 33 games this season...

I agree its a shame we didn't sign him instead of the donkey we have ended up with :-)

Archived