Give Sammon a break

BrysonsBoys

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was our choice to buy him.

Don't derby fans just love to have someone to hate......

Sammon, Teale, Pearson, Barnes, Billy Davies, Connolly, Mears, Savage, McEverley, Varney, Robinson..........even Coutts is starting to cop for it.

I don't hate the guy, that would suggest some personal animosity towards him, I just don't see what his function is - can't control the ball, hold it up, deliver killer passes, bring other players into the game, beat a man, be devastating in the air and most importantly doesn't score a truckload of goals. 

Oh but he does run around and semi-hassle the opposition defenders when they have the ball, a collie  dog could do that.

Clough needs to decide pretty sharpish what Sammon contributes to being in the team and if it's nowt then start thinking about loaning him out to a Div 1 club until he sees how he will fit in to the team.

He actually can play a some dangerous passes in behind, his issue is getting it under control first.

Sammon fits into the team as it is. It's telling that since Sammon arrived that we've scored in more more games that we have in many a year. We've seen other players scoring more with him on the pitch as well. Even if you can't see how (and this has been discussed over and over again on here) the stats are quite clear that in attack we are a damn site better than we used to be, we're consistently scoring and even Ward, currently our top scorer, gives credit to the work of Sammon. To say that "he doesn't fit into the team" is bizarre and goes completely against the facts here.

...what?

Quite simple uncle, u referred to a player being driven out of derby, I gave you an example of a player who despite signing for us under a cloud, was not driven out of derby by the fans, despite a poor season.

Quite simple uncle, u referred to a player being driven out of derby, I gave you an example of a player who despite signing for us under a cloud, was not driven out of derby by the fans, despite a poor season.

Not for the want of trying.

Maybe you forgot all the abuse Tyson got and all the abuse clough got for signing him.

Hope you enjoyed it yesterday.

We slammed him, listed him as a terrible signing and complained bitterly about him. It was only after he scored in preseason and then a few early in the season where we seemed to warm to him.

He actually can play a some dangerous passes in behind, his issue is getting it under control first.

Sammon fits into the team as it is. It's telling that since Sammon arrived that we've scored in more more games that we have in many a year. We've seen other players scoring more with him on the pitch as well. Even if you can't see how (and this has been discussed over and over again on here) the stats are quite clear that in attack we are a damn site better than we used to be, we're consistently scoring and even Ward, currently our top scorer, gives credit to the work of Sammon. To say that "he doesn't fit into the team" is bizarre and goes completely against the facts here.

Fair enough Albert, apart from saying that we've scored more goals since Sammon joined the team which could be pure coincidence what would you say he contributes constructively to on the pitch, no generalisations please.

I remember a player we were apparently after at the start of last season, a striker on a free transfer from Brighton. Good thing we didn't sign him though, he only got what... 6 goals in 38 games during his first season in the Championship...

...currently on 29 in 33 games this season...

There's that stat again. Ha ha. ;)

But Albert look at their records before that. Sammon has only once scored double figures in a season. Think 7 is his next highest. Bit different that. You've done what you told me not to and that's take things in isolation.

We slammed him, listed him as a terrible signing and complained bitterly about him. It was only after he scored in preseason and then a few early in the season where we seemed to warm to him.

Oh you talking about a forum? I thought you were referring to the derby crowd forcing a player out, not discussing a players performance.

I guess they were wrong then given he is no longer playing for the club?

Not for the want of trying.

Maybe you forgot all the abuse Tyson got and all the abuse clough got for signing him.

Hope you enjoyed it yesterday.

I did enjoy the result yes, and once again I didn't hear anyone booing any players, and am struggling to remember any player with the exception of one been driven out by derby fans.

There's that stat again. Ha ha. ;)

But Albert look at their records before that. Sammon has only once scored double figures in a season. Think 7 is his next highest. Bit different that. You've done what you told me not to and that's take things in isolation.

Murray apart from one 22 goal season in League One hardly had a stellar record either. His next best were:

12 in League One

11 in League One

16 in League Two

Sammon is also younger than Murray.

Fair enough Albert, apart from saying that we've scored more goals since Sammon joined the team which could be pure coincidence what would you say he contributes constructively to on the pitch, no generalisations please.

He gets through a lot of work, he is a presence and despite it not looking pretty a lot of the time, he does do a lot of work to bring others into play. Let's take the Leicester game for example. Just going off memory here, for the opener he put the defender under pressure who hoofed it long up field, only to end up straight back with Derby. The ball came to Sammon, who got the ball under control, held off his man and tried to turn past him before getting fouled as a second defender came in. It was from that free kick that we scored of course. A lot of what he does goes unnoticed, but he gets through a lot of work. The poor touches are what stand out in the memory though.

He does seem oddly poor in the air for his height though...

He gets through a lot of work, he is a presence and despite it not looking pretty a lot of the time, he does do a lot of work to bring others into play. 

Albert, that sentence is full of generalisations, I'm sorry. We'll agree to disagree, I would expect any decent centre forward to do a lot more then get through a lot of work, whatever that means. 

All these stats and what not.

The problem now is that people exaggerate the good things he does, and do the same with the bad things. He is average overall at best for this level.

Sammon tries hard but his control and his ability in the air are poor which in my opinion are vital skills needed in the position he plays. However much his running actually puts opponents off and draws players away is debatable, but it should not be ignored as being useful.

We should support the guy as long as he is in the team, as we should with all players.

Sammon has something like a 4 year deal and is on a large wage for our squad. 

No other championship clubs are going to pay 1 million for him.

Maybe 500-600k at most but more likely they wont be able to afford his wages. 

So he is going to be here for the next 2 seasons.

4 year deal correct, but wages? Who knows

What wage is he on? And which players wages is it large in comparison to?

Archived