The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

You want to get rid of Nigel Clough and bring in Mick McCarthy...  :huh:

I understand people who may of grown tired of Clough, but I personally would hope his replacement would be a better choice! He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Ipswich, infact aren't they still below us? 

They certainly are several places and 2 points.They were bottom when he took over over 4 months ago, now.Not

great I admit how long should they give him do you think.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish we'd throw the net a little further afield and bring in someone like Aristide Bancé from FC Augsberg. A player with a bit of character for the crowd to warm to - problem is, he's a bit like Sammon but with a level of class.

Wouldn't be averse to seeing the scouting of some African players, rather than the standard Scottish offerings.

I read the biography of brian clough by jonathon wilson.

it included some interesting remarks attributed to peter taylor regarding the teams that brian clough built after the split.

According to PT, the later teams were characterised by brians preference or clean cut, well behaved good boys, who wouldn't rock the boat, whereas the earlier teams they built together at forest included a few bad lads - the burns, lloyds, bowles etc. peter didn't mind dealing with a few black sheep and felt that they brought some extra missing ingredient.

Nigel reminds me of the later brian clough who he would have played for.

The early Brian clough was incredibly charismatic, confident and brash and seemed to believe that he could manage any player.

The later brian clough appeared to cope less well with the pressures and surrounded himself with the clean cut, the compliant and the faithful. He demanded obedient players and got rid of the misfits like megson, sheridan, and fashanau, as well as those would were deemed to have stepped out of line.

Nigel also seems to favour a similar certain type of clean cut player as exemplified by the brayfords, the hendricks and the brysons etc.

He has also got rid of those who were deemed to be flawed, like shackell, cywka, maguire etc.

I can't see him gambling on potential misfits and 'bad lads' or players from a more unfamiliar background,,

and to be honest i think that this builds a good solid base.

We don't want any more ghalys, dickinsons and mears at the moment, do we?

I read the biography of brian clough by jonathon wilson.

it included some interesting remarks attributed to peter taylor regarding the teams that brian clough built after the split.

According to PT, the later teams were characterised by brians preference or clean cut, well behaved good boys, who wouldn't rock the boat, whereas the earlier teams they built together at forest included a few bad lads - the burns, lloyds, bowles etc. peter didn't mind dealing with a few black sheep and felt that they brought some extra missing ingredient.

Nigel reminds me of the later brian clough who he would have played for.

The early Brian clough was incredibly charismatic, confident and brash and seemed to believe that he could manage any player.

The later brian clough appeared to cope less well with the pressures and surrounded himself with the clean cut, the compliant and the faithful. He demanded obedient players and got rid of the misfits like megson, sheridan, and fashanau, as well as those would were deemed to have stepped out of line.

Nigel also seems to favour a similar certain type of clean cut player as exemplified by the brayfords, the hendricks and the brysons etc.

He has also got rid of those who were deemed to be out of line or flawed, like shackell, cywka, maguire etc.

I can't see him gambling on potential misfits and 'bad lads' or players from a more unfamiliar background,,

and to be honest i think that this builds a good solid base.

We don't want any more ghalys, dickinsons and mears at the moment, do we?

I don't mind a few bad boys so long as they are good footballers and can do a good job.

I haven't read all of this thread, but here's a mad idea:

If Reading go down, why not a punt on Le Fondre? Y'know, like we perhaps should have done a couple of years ago? Could look for a change of scene, not sure about his wages but he'd be a very exciting signing in my opinion.

I haven't read all of this thread, but here's a mad idea:

If Reading go down, why not a punt on Le Fondre? Y'know, like we perhaps should have done a couple of years ago? Could look for a change of scene, not sure about his wages but he'd be a very exciting signing in my opinion.

He would stay at Reading for starters and we would not be able to afford wages or the transfer fee. They would want over 2 million for him.

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship/8581053/Championship-Frustrated-Aidy-White-looks-for-positives-of-Leeds-absence

Leeds defender Aidy White has been learning from Stephen Warnock and is trying to take the positives from his absence in the starting line-up.

The 21-year-old has had a stop-start season and has found himself mainly on the substitutes' bench since the turn of the year.

Leeds signed Warnock in January and the former England international has made White's favourite left-back position his own.

"It's frustrating obviously," Republic of Ireland Under-21s international White said.

"I was playing nearly every game last season and this time I've been in and out and on the bench for most of it.

"So it's very frustrating, but I've got to look on the positive side of things.

"Stephen Warnock has come in and he's a fantastic player.

"I look at him and try and learn from him because he's an ex-England international.

"I've already picked up a few pointers off him so when I do get back in the team, hopefully sooner rather than later, I'll improve myself as a player.

"Especially as he's in the same position as me, as frustrating as it is not playing, I do like to look on the positive side of things and if I can learn off Stephen and improve then I will."

Perhaps he should have joined us? one for the summer?!

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship/8581053/Championship-Frustrated-Aidy-White-looks-for-positives-of-Leeds-absence

Leeds defender Aidy White has been learning from Stephen Warnock and is trying to take the positives from his absence in the starting line-up.

The 21-year-old has had a stop-start season and has found himself mainly on the substitutes' bench since the turn of the year.

Leeds signed Warnock in January and the former England international has made White's favourite left-back position his own.

"It's frustrating obviously," Republic of Ireland Under-21s international White said.

"I was playing nearly every game last season and this time I've been in and out and on the bench for most of it.

"So it's very frustrating, but I've got to look on the positive side of things.

"Stephen Warnock has come in and he's a fantastic player.

"I look at him and try and learn from him because he's an ex-England international.

"I've already picked up a few pointers off him so when I do get back in the team, hopefully sooner rather than later, I'll improve myself as a player.

"Especially as he's in the same position as me, as frustrating as it is not playing, I do like to look on the positive side of things and if I can learn off Stephen and improve then I will."

Perhaps he should have joined us? one for the summer?!

Clough has been chasing Waghorn and White for some time.

One of the two will be here next season

He seems the kind of player that with the right support and a good run of games that could go on to be one of the better forwards in the division. His last season as first choice saw him bag 12 goals and that was now about 3 seasons ago. Given a run of games and the right partner he could be a good player, and considering that he hasn't had the best of times in the last few seasons, he hopefully wouldn't be that expensive (although, as he's under 24 he'd still cost a fee if we were to sign him, even if he's off contract at Leicester).

Waghorn, Martin, Sammon, Ward, Bennett and possibly Ball as options up front doesn't sound too shabby at all. I don't think we'll go for Waghorn though.

On the point of why so many think he's a good player right now though, he had a great game against us earlier in the season.

What is so good about Waghorn? Scored 9 goals since August 2010 and hardly a regular at Leicester.

Exactly. He doesn't play enough to get goals. He normally comes on for the last 10 minutes or so. If we gave him full games regularly, from what I've seen of him, he'll get goals easily.

I have heard we are getting a balance say like 4 players over 25 and 4 players under 20 so still keeping the youth transfer going but adding much needed experience one of the youth players we are after is Drey Wright he is lightening quick apparently at Colchester only 17.

Archived