The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

max clayton only 18

would be a great buy.with our "young players" tag and if we offered him first team football I think there is a slight chance he could come here.But he is being watched by the big 4 and Arsenal and Liverpool are really keen apparently

When we go up we want to stay up and actually compete to get mid table. How many in Cardiff's side would hack it in the Prem?

1 or 2 full of Championship Journeymen who have been there ages. Good solid players but in the prem you cant win matches by doing the basics as there's less games so players are sharper. So you need to have genuine quality. We have young players who are cutting at this level and making impacts Hendrick etc so they definitely have the potential. Hats why I am Pro Clough as if we did have money we would be buying players like Dobbie who has been promoted 2/3 times but never played over 10 games in the prem if any.

He's not a "great" player though. He's a fairly successful goalscorer, but he's not the only option out there. He's scored 10 goals this season for Forest in 30 appearances, and to buy him would cost about £3m. He's not worth that. Theo scored that many last season from fewer starts.

I really think that Theo's contribution is underestimated. Some people just seem to moan about the things he gets wrong, but a striker should be judged on goals and when he has a good run in the squad that's exactly what he does, scores goals. I would love it for him to be back up front next season for The Rams.

What about James Bailey? He also proved that he is very comfortable at this level. Would we not want him back in midfield?

No thanks, got more than enough players there. Hendrick, Bryson, Hughes, if we we're to sign a CM, I would want it to be an experienced one.

Interesting read:

The Conor Sammon debate has been long-running and is likely to rumble on for the rest of the season.

He has, it is fair to say, split opinion since he joined Derby County from Wigan Athletic last summer.

Fans either recognise what the striker brings to the team in terms of work rate and unsettling defenders or they point to his goal tally, eight in 42 games.

I have, in these pages, made my views on Sammon clear.

Yes, he should score more but there is also more to his game.

The same applies to many strikers in the Championship, as I pointed out in this column recently.

Simon Cox, who cost twice as much as Sammon, has scored only five goals in 37 games for Nottingham Forest and he has failed to find the net in the last 21 matches.

Billy Sharp is hardly pulling up trees at Forest, nor is Jamie Vardy at Leicester City.

Sammon’s critics believe Derby could have signed a “better” striker for £1.2m although nobody, as yet, has offered the name of a “better” striker who would be available for the same transfer fee and wages.

Derby are more formidable with Sammon in the team.

They have scored 14 more goals after 41 League games this season than they had at this stage last season and Sammon has played a big part in creating for others.

Putting aside his number of goals and discussion over his control and ability to hold the ball up, one aspect in the Sammon debate that has not been touched on, and a relevant aspect, is his fitness and, therefore, availability.

Sammon has featured in every game since he signed. He has started all but two.

This struck me as I sat watching his good all-round performance in the 3-0 victory over Bristol City on Good Friday.

Three days earlier, he had played a full game for the Republic of Ireland in their crucial World Cup qualifier against Austria in Dublin. Sammon and the rest of the Irish team gave their all only to suffer bitter disappointment when Austria equalised deep into stoppage time to severely dent hopes of qualification.

Sammon put all of that behind him and produced another tireless display for Derby. It was a great testament to his fitness, his attitude and his strength of character.

His fitness level allows him to keep going from first minute to last.

And I have yet to write a story this season in which he has been described as doubtful for a game. He has always been fit and available.

When the squad is small, as it is at Derby, it is vital to have as many players as possible available.

One of the major pluses of Nigel Clough’s main signings last summer is that those who came in have been available to play a lot of football this season.

As well as Sammon, there are Richard Keogh and Paul Coutts.

Keogh is ever-present. The central defender has not missed a minute of the 44 fixtures.

Coutts has started every game bar the narrow defeat at Huddersfield Town, when he felt unwell.

Young winger Michael Jacobs has played a part in 39 matches.

Given his age and the fact he was making a big step up from League Two, he was never going to be a regular starter this season.

And so back to Sammon.

Even his critics have to admit he has played well in the last four games.

I think I even heard a few strains of “there’s only one Conor Sammon” during the Ipswich Town game.

Interesting read:

The Conor Sammon debate has been long-running and is likely to rumble on for the rest of the season.

He has, it is fair to say, split opinion since he joined Derby County from Wigan Athletic last summer.

Fans either recognise what the striker brings to the team in terms of work rate and unsettling defenders or they point to his goal tally, eight in 42 games.

I have, in these pages, made my views on Sammon clear.

Yes, he should score more but there is also more to his game.

The same applies to many strikers in the Championship, as I pointed out in this column recently.

Simon Cox, who cost twice as much as Sammon, has scored only five goals in 37 games for Nottingham Forest and he has failed to find the net in the last 21 matches.

Billy Sharp is hardly pulling up trees at Forest, nor is Jamie Vardy at Leicester City.

Sammon’s critics believe Derby could have signed a “better” striker for £1.2m although nobody, as yet, has offered the name of a “better” striker who would be available for the same transfer fee and wages.

Derby are more formidable with Sammon in the team.

They have scored 14 more goals after 41 League games this season than they had at this stage last season and Sammon has played a big part in creating for others.

Putting aside his number of goals and discussion over his control and ability to hold the ball up, one aspect in the Sammon debate that has not been touched on, and a relevant aspect, is his fitness and, therefore, availability.

Sammon has featured in every game since he signed. He has started all but two.

This struck me as I sat watching his good all-round performance in the 3-0 victory over Bristol City on Good Friday.

Three days earlier, he had played a full game for the Republic of Ireland in their crucial World Cup qualifier against Austria in Dublin. Sammon and the rest of the Irish team gave their all only to suffer bitter disappointment when Austria equalised deep into stoppage time to severely dent hopes of qualification.

Sammon put all of that behind him and produced another tireless display for Derby. It was a great testament to his fitness, his attitude and his strength of character.

His fitness level allows him to keep going from first minute to last.

And I have yet to write a story this season in which he has been described as doubtful for a game. He has always been fit and available.

When the squad is small, as it is at Derby, it is vital to have as many players as possible available.

One of the major pluses of Nigel Clough’s main signings last summer is that those who came in have been available to play a lot of football this season.

As well as Sammon, there are Richard Keogh and Paul Coutts.

Keogh is ever-present. The central defender has not missed a minute of the 44 fixtures.

Coutts has started every game bar the narrow defeat at Huddersfield Town, when he felt unwell.

Young winger Michael Jacobs has played a part in 39 matches.

Given his age and the fact he was making a big step up from League Two, he was never going to be a regular starter this season.

And so back to Sammon.

Even his critics have to admit he has played well in the last four games.

I think I even heard a few strains of “there’s only one Conor Sammon” during the Ipswich Town game.

Crap I put this in the wrong thread.

No thanks, got more than enough players there. Hendrick, Bryson, Hughes, if we we're to sign a CM, I would want it to be an experienced one.

Hughes has been out and Bryson is injured.Surely we need him back for cover.Hes only 23/24 plays with both feet.Would welcome him back adds to our squad if anything

Archived