The Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

sage

They paid £7-8m for him. He's hardly set the PL alight though..

Very true. Rodriguez and Ramirez for a combined total of £21m. 

Even if Billy Sharpe was better than those two, you'd be looking to get a return on that kind of investment. I reckon it was a daft decision for him to join Southampton. He'd be far better off at a club like Derby vying for promotion rather than one that was pretty assured of it.

Now he's at Forest. Was gutted when they got him on loan.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Billy McKay isn't a bad shout. I know its another Scot but we've been linked with him for a while now along with some other Championship clubs. He's been banging them in at Inverness CT - certainly knows where the goal is. 

Also, by the looks of him so far, I'd like to see if we can get a permanent move for Chris Martin. He's not scored yet, but he looks a bright, intelligent player, shame his goal was disallowed yesterday. It was definitely on. 

Some of the "rumours" from the highly reputable (genuinely just laughed out loud at my desk when typing that) football rumours site..

Thought I'd see what everyone thinks of the guys I've not previously seen mentioned:

Martyn Waghorn - Lazy Rumouring (been linked for AGES)

Callum McMananaman - Can't see Wigan letting him go as think next season could be breakthrough

Jacques Maghoma - Maybe lazy rumouring again (Burton link)

Joe Mattock - Maybe? But not new rumour

Harry Maguire - Talking about a "Barker-type" fee so would have to be VERY sure he's good enough

Will Grigg - Seen this mentioned before

Matt Kilgallon - Not played much for Sunderland but would (IMO) be a great signing and maybe out of contract?

Some of the "rumours" from the highly reputable (genuinely just laughed out loud at my desk when typing that) football rumours site..

Thought I'd see what everyone thinks of the guys I've not previously seen mentioned:

Martyn Waghorn - Lazy Rumouring (been linked for AGES)

Callum McMananaman - Can't see Wigan letting him go as think next season could be breakthrough

Jacques Maghoma - Maybe lazy rumouring again (Burton link)

Joe Mattock - Maybe? But not new rumour

Harry Maguire - Talking about a "Barker-type" fee so would have to be VERY sure he's good enough

Will Grigg - Seen this mentioned before

Matt Kilgallon - Not played much for Sunderland but would (IMO) be a great signing and maybe out of contract?

Mattock and Kilgallon have been terrible recently... Kilgallon did very poor at Doncaster last season and Mattock hasn't been able to break the Wednesday team as of yet, and every time he has had a chance I've been informed he has been terrible. 

Maghoma is apparently the best player in league two currently, according to reports - I know nothing about Grigg.

Maguire would cost a couple of million I would of thought, he has tonnes of ability and admirers. McManaman is another one i've heard good things about, and on that basis I guess he'll be costly and unavailable. 

And finally Waghorn - I'd have him in a heartbeat... was incredible against us this season, best player i've seen this year. 

Strikers

Chris Martin - Free Agent

Martyn Waghorn - Free Agent 

Now that for starters would be great business and would excite me as a fan, purely because both can actually hold a ball up and have a good finish.

Other strikers we could have a gamble on but with these two we know what we are getting i.e Mckay, Pope, Grigg etc. But will they work look at Vardy at Leicester not really been prolific and they had to sign Chris Wood. 

Left Back

This is a difficult one because it depends how clough wants to go about it. Stephen Crainey at Blackpool is out of contract and the fact that he hasnt signed a new contract says something in itself. However most championship clubs will be interested. Nigel refuses to let the Aiden White stone go unturned, I can really see us making a move for him in the summer as a start even if it does get turned down. 

Aiden White - at least 500k

Stephen Crainey - free

Again there are some young left backs we could look at but one big factor that will play a part is the emergence of Max Lowe from the under 18s he will be 17 next year and is an england international. He has the on the ball quality to play for the 1st team now in my opinion, I have only seem him several times but he has got it. Now of course Nigel will be trying to bed him in slowly but I think he could start to play for the under 21s next season and maybe do a Will Hughes. 

Centre Back

Ok so do we need to sign a Centre Back?

Choice order.

1. Keogh 2. Barker 3. Obrien/Buxton 4. Gjokak 5. Hanson/Lelan

I would say if an experienced centre half on a steady wage became available it would be worth considering. There will be injuries, imagine if Keogh had been injured this season wow.

Names like Ian Evatt have been thrown around but I dont think that would be beneficial to the football club. I think we should use the remainder of the season to test Gjokak. He looks like he has the tekkers from one Cardiff game but that was at right back. The physicality and height wont be a problem. 

Winger

Something different to Coutts and Jacobs, a player with real pace that can play RW or LW, this one would definitely be from lower leagues but we must make sure we dont sign another Dave Martin/Stephen Pearson/Nathan Tyson type player, pace but little control and passing ability. Before someone says oh martin was class or parson etc they are only examples, i just feel we are lacking a player that all the playoff teams have. Cardiff have Noone, Watford have Anya, Crystal Palace have 2 Zaha and Bolasie, Leicester have been playing a different system but Lloyd Dyer is good example finally Brighton who have Orlandi and David Lopez. 

We could potentially have Ward if he is played as a winger but he has been a revelation as a striker and importantly gets goals.

Youth

No doubt the success of the under 18 team and under 21 team players route into the first team will attract some quality young talent. 19/20 years olds that want to play for the under 21s and push a first team spot. Clough has proven he can find these players. 

Strikers

Now that for starters would be great business and would excite me as a fan, purely because both can actually hold a ball up and have a good finish.

Other strikers we could have a gamble on but with these two we know what we are getting i.e Mckay, Pope, Grigg etc. But will they work look at Vardy at Leicester not really been prolific and they had to sign Chris Wood. 

Left Back

This is a difficult one because it depends how clough wants to go about it. Stephen Crainey at Blackpool is out of contract and the fact that he hasnt signed a new contract says something in itself. However most championship clubs will be interested. Nigel refuses to let the Aiden White stone go unturned, I can really see us making a move for him in the summer as a start even if it does get turned down. 

Aiden White - at least 500k

Stephen Crainey - free

Again there are some young left backs we could look at but one big factor that will play a part is the emergence of Max Lowe from the under 18s he will be 17 next year and is an england international. He has the on the ball quality to play for the 1st team now in my opinion, I have only seem him several times but he has got it. Now of course Nigel will be trying to bed him in slowly but I think he could start to play for the under 21s next season and maybe do a Will Hughes. 

Centre Back

Ok so do we need to sign a Centre Back?

Choice order.

1. Keogh 2. Barker 3. Obrien/Buxton 4. Gjokak 5. Hanson/Lelan

I would say if an experienced centre half on a steady wage became available it would be worth considering. There will be injuries, imagine if Keogh had been injured this season wow.

Names like Ian Evatt have been thrown around but I dont think that would be beneficial to the football club. I think we should use the remainder of the season to test Gjokak. He looks like he has the tekkers from one Cardiff game but that was at right back. The physicality and height wont be a problem. 

Winger

Something different to Coutts and Jacobs, a player with real pace that can play RW or LW, this one would definitely be from lower leagues but we must make sure we dont sign another Dave Martin/Stephen Pearson/Nathan Tyson type player, pace but little control and passing ability. Before someone says oh martin was class or parson etc they are only examples, i just feel we are lacking a player that all the playoff teams have. Cardiff have Noone, Watford have Anya, Crystal Palace have 2 Zaha and Bolasie, Leicester have been playing a different system but Lloyd Dyer is good example finally Brighton who have Orlandi and David Lopez. 

We could potentially have Ward if he is played as a winger but he has been a revelation as a striker and importantly gets goals.

Youth

No doubt the success of the under 18 team and under 21 team players route into the first team will attract some quality young talent. 19/20 years olds that want to play for the under 21s and push a first team spot. Clough has proven he can find these players. 

Good Post.I to want to see use more youth and in terms of Max lowe.He is really quick and attack minded but we forget that Rhys Sharpe is a natural left back  and would be an excellent choice to step up class act.

Strikers

Will Grigg-Free Agent 

Left Back

Try and get Aidy white.If not share between Hoganson,Sharpe and Lowe

Centre Back

I don't think a Centre back will be a Priority. It would be nice to get one but with Keogh and Barker partnership and OB for cover we have enough quality there. Also Lelan is a real talent hes like a Young Rio Ferdinand very Quick,composed and can play. Then Jamie Hanson a Goal scoring centre back. 

Winger

We are in need of a Quick and Skilful player. Which I think we have in Jacobs. But clough want allow him to save his energy for that he would rather have him start deeper. For me looking at recent Rumours and News Id say the pick would be Jon Taylor and Christopher Forrester(Look at him on YouTube).I have always felt Good wingers are Luxury Players and are normally alongside a 20 goal man the biggest difference in a play off challenge. But those type of players rely on Confidence and if its not going their way its like playing with 10 men. The amount of times crystal palace have looked lost because they have ran out of idea's.

I Would say if we could only bring in 3 players with the budget this should be a priority as Coutts is in desperate need of competition as we were that short Clough had o bring Ben Davies out of Exile as he couldn't move him on.

Youth

I think every one apart from 4/5 should be offered 1 year deals in the U18s and 6/7 More than 1 year.Im still in the opinion we need to have a set of clubs that we can rely on to take our youth players on loan that way there is a system in place. That players can progress in the youth ranks and then go out and get some first team football even Non league to put them with real men would be good especially the defenders.

As for Signings I have heard we are inviting a 16 year old from Cheltenham and one from Bristol Rovers to have trials. Both Midfielders. Then a 17/18 year old from Non league football who is a striker. I personally think we should be looking at the Top teams in England Man u,Chelsea,Arsenal etc. and seeing their U18s and who are being released as there has been a lot of good talent released and they might be late developers Luke Freeman to name one. Also I think the players that mostly excite me are Foreign players as Valentine was probably the most exciting for me as I didn't know anything about him or how we managed to find him at the time. So maybe like above look at Big European teams U18s and see who hasn't made the grade and invite for a trial. The only problem with that is that you might get a lot of Arrogant players who feel they are better than this and would want a bigger wage than normally offered to Young Players.

Centre Back

I don't think a Centre back will be a Priority. It would be nice to get one but with Keogh and Barker partnership and OB for cover we have enough quality there. Also Lelan is a real talent hes like a Young Rio Ferdinand very Quick,composed and can play. Then Jamie Hanson a Goal scoring centre back. 

Barker won't play in 2013. So we need another CB.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-18365507-detail/story.html?#axzz2MzCj54HT

I would change a few things. firstly get rid of the rabble

Goalkeepers

Ross Atkins

Saul Deeney

one of Adam Legdzins or Frank Fielding

Defenders

Gareth Roberts

James O'Connor

Tom Naylor

Midfielders

Ben Davies

Forwards 

Nathan Tyson

Theo Robinson

Connor Sammon (in my opinion one of Clough's greatest mistakes so far)

This would free up the wage bill and give us a couple of Million and if spent correctly we could buy a half decent squad.

We need a commanding goalkeeper

An experienced centre back

I would be more than happy to keep Freeman or Hoganson in left back

A tall or experienced centre midfield

and a striker who can run and finish the ball such as Waghorn or Lupoli who could play well amongst the likes of Chris Martin

Goalkeepers

Ross Atkins

Saul Deeney

Defenders

Gareth Roberts

James O'Connor

Tom Naylor

Midfielders

Ben Davies

Forwards 

Nathan Tyson

Theo Robinson

This would free up the wage bill and give us a couple of Million and if spent correctly we could buy a half decent squad.

and a striker who can run and finish the ball such as Waghorn or Lupoli who could play well amongst the likes of Chris Martin

Whats wrong with Naylor.

Goalkeepers

Ross Atkins

Saul Deeney

Defenders

Gareth Roberts

James O'Connor

Tom Naylor

Midfielders

Ben Davies

Forwards 

Nathan Tyson

Theo Robinson

How many of these are out of contract in the summer? If they aren't, how do you propose getting rid of them? Could you detail how this 'rabble' would raise £2 million? 

How many of these are out of contract in the summer? If they aren't, how do you propose getting rid of them? Could you detail how this 'rabble' would raise £2 million? 

I agree 'rabble' was the wrong terminology but many of these at the right price would sell, Roberts will probably retire and many of these can go Into lower league teams.

I agree 'rabble' was the wrong terminology but many of these at the right price would sell, Roberts will probably retire and many of these can go Into lower league teams.

The point is, you can't make people buy these players. Otherwise, Croft would have gone 2 years ago. I can't see the players you mention raising £1million, never mind £2million. How much would each of these players raise?

Archived