Who was the last striker we had who DIDN'T divide fans opinion?

Stive Pesley

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my time as a Derby fan, I don't think we've had a consistent striker that's played for years, the 2 I can comfortably comment on both had 1 extremely good year in a Derby shirt and that outshines anyone else I can remember. It's not the best in all honesty, but if you offered me a strikeforce of Rasiak and Howard in their pomp, I'd snap your hands off!

I can only comfortably comment on Derby since 2002/2003 when I was about 11/12 I started to understand the game a bit more, and since then we haven't been very good - best 2 strikers we've had in that time for ability is Rasiak and Commons. Howard is definitely the most effective striker we've had though, and was the main reason we went up - but his lack of ability shone a mile in the premier league unfortunately.

Could also put Mounir El Hamdaoui and Steve Davies in the category with Kris Commons of 'talented and deadly'

Luke Varney is without a doubt the worst striker I've seen for Derby by a ******* mile.

He just couldn't hold on to a ball, hold a ball, pass, shoot or ******* anything! 1.2 million spent on Sammon looks like a ******* bargain next to Varney.

Then again, we could of signed Simon Cox for 2 million to learn what real ******* agony feels like... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':unsure:' />[size=4] [/size]

If Varney had been given the chance that Sammon has been given, as in guaranteed starts... who knows how we'd feel about him! I thought personally he looked like he possessed no footballing brain whatsoever...

Thanks GreenRam, I'm now depressed! Not that you've reminded me of the great players I've seen, but some of the dross you reminded me of, and all the money wasted on the following:-

Tommy Mooney, Nick Chadwick, Stern John, Jon Macken, Manel, Junior, Mattheus Svensson, Lee Bradbury, Manel (so bad I mentioned him twice), Danny Graham, Danny Dichio.... depressing! Not all bad players at some point in their careers, but no good for us.

I do have a bit of sympathy with sammon.

He's up front, on his own, trying to wrestle two hairy arrsed centre backs and to make something out of nothing.

In this day and age, holding and grappling seem to be semi- legal too.

I'm not sure how even a good centre forward like Swindlehurst would cope with all the wrestling these days.

But........

He's not really a derby county type of player.

We like players with a bit of class; a decent first touch; the ability to pass, to shoot, to put their foot on the ball.

O'hare rather than ormandroyd.

Sometimes these more physical players do improve a bit.

Lee Chapman was regarded as a donkey but became half decent for example.

But these players are generally a bit too 'industrial' for Derby County.

And we've paid way over the odds for him.

Various things said about players in the great team of the 1970's...

O'Hare - too fat, too slow.

Lee - fat, diving cheat

Hinton - can't tackle, jumps out of the way of anyone tackling him

George - not a team player

Davies - too tall, clumsy

Probably Hector was the only one even then who didn't divide opinion in one way or another. Oh, and Derek Hales of course.

Doesn't the fact that Ward showing what he can do as a striker but having not really been played there for 18 months reflect badly on Clough and his ability to manage?

If Ward had a Steve Howard next to him, he would be even better.

Not really, he was doing well on the wing. It's not like he's crap out wide and then clough decided to play him as a striker and then he does well.

Super Rasiak, why did we sell him 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Kuqi and Hulse aswell.

People didn't like it when we signed Kuqi, and some didn't like his goal return. In fact, I'd say if we had him know, doing as he did, people would be just as critical of him as they are of Sammon now.

There were all sorts of criticisms of Hulse, everything from being lazy to how he celebrated goals.

Doesn't the fact that Ward showing what he can do as a striker but having not really been played there for 18 months reflect badly on Clough and his ability to manage?

If Ward had a Steve Howard next to him, he would be even better.

Ward is good out wide, as well as in the middle. He was one our most dangerous players out wide last year, and to be blunt, without someone like Sammon next to him, I don't think he'd be as effective. A Ward-Theo or Ward-Davies combo probably wouldn't have worked, but that's what we most likely would have had.

Playing Ward on the wing doesn't reflect badly on Nigel. He did well there and is now doing well up front. If anything playing on the wing to start could have actually helped him be better up front, adding more to his game and learning more about finding space etc.

Kuqi had a poor scoring record but then he held up the ball, bringing others into the game better than Sammon. I don't blame Sammon for this, I just don't think it's Sammon's style. I get the feeling he would much prefer the ball to feet and feed off another striker rather than at times being a lone target man expected to hold up the ball.

Archived