Playing Hughes Currently Limits Us

rammieib

Back from the game and I've now seen Hughes play in the last few games - well I think it was Will Hughes but didn't see have any effect on any of the games. (I don't think he played well against Huddersfield)

I am not criticising him as a poor player - he is 17 and inexperienced but I honestly think Clough has this obsession with him. I may be wrong but Bryson and Hendrick have scored more, and he probably has the same amount as Coutts. (2 goals?) - I'm fairly sure all the others have more assists than Hughes.

So therefore - why are we continuing to play him? His current form is abysmal and today was another game where the match bypassed him.

The other problem - we still have this square peg in round hole scenario which occurs because of playing Hughes. Again, we were desperate for width. Both Ben Davies and Jacobs (My preference) would give us this width a bit more. Coutts never stays out on the wing, so we are so narrow it creates nothing.

I really would give Hughes a rest. If you could put Bryson in with him, I think Hendrick would grow in confidence and have an even bigger impact on the game. Hendrick is superb at the moment, and with the knowledge that Bryson would be next to him, could push on to the next level.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

I agree that he needs a rest and perhaps give Jacobs a run, but to rate a midfielder purely on goals and assists is unfair.

I think it would be good for Hughes to sit out the next two games, give him a pat on the back and tell him he's done really well. But he's young and needs a break.

Interesting you mention width as we have never really had much width. NC is seemingly a big fan of 3 or 4 CM's across the midfield. This isn't the first season he has done it. Sometimes it can work, making us more solid, etc, but sometimes it really hinders us going forward.

when he's playing well he dictates the tempo and forces us to retain possession,

He's needed a rest since Christmas and we also look a better side with two of Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson.

I'd definitely give Jacobs a run but if playing left mid, he leaves Roberts looking vulnerable.

That's the problem when you have 4 CMs in midfield..

One needs to be sacrificed in the summer to make some money to improve the wider areas..

A genuine wide player is going to be better than any of our CMs playing out of position on the wing..

Cloughs problem is he wants to play all 4, or he feels the need to play all 4.. I don't particularly rate Coutts but the other 3 are worthy of a starting spot in virtually all of our games.. Problem is, we only have 2 natural positions for them.. Clough is sacrificing width and the best team because in his mind he wants to play what he feels are the best players..

Hughes and Bryson are better players than Jacobs.. But not in Jacobs natural position they aren't.. But I don't think Clough or other people think this way..

Gone of the boil a bit hasn't he Hughes? You can still see his quality but he looks like he's happy to keep it simple and risk free. Which isn't what he does best. Sitting in the centre circle racking up pass completion is alright but we know he can be a superb threading balls through defences and exchanging neat touches in dangerous areas.

What's up with him?

Tired?

Hype got to him?

Hughes needs to stay in the team, we have been a better side since he has got in it and played centrally. He was good enough today for us to totally dominate the play against one of the form teams, until we gifted them a goal and that lifted them and there fans. Leaving out one of your best players doesn't make sense

I'd just play Jacobs, he's basically our only winger and although he's inconsistent he's capable of doing something special.

As Bris said, he's a better wide man than any of the usual midfield 4 and he offers something different.

Jacobs one side, Coutts the other, then any 2 out of Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson in the middle.

Hughes is a midfielder so judging him on goals is stupid. One of the reasons for the big interest in Will Hughes is the fact he doesn't play like the typical British player, he plays more of the spanish style. Pass and move pass and move. His had 1 or 2 bad games, but thats only because we expect so much of him. Give him a rest and bring him back in after a few games.

Playing 4 centre mids across our midfield is what limits us. Especially when the 2 in the middle don't compete like they didn't in todays second half.

I don't mind Coutts so much out on the right but we're so narrow on the left. Nige has got to decide between the 3 of Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick for the 2 centre mid spots and put in a proper left midfielder (or at least someone who can play there - Ward/Jacobs).

If Hughes at 17 years old can regularly have a less than spectacular game, look tired and in need of a rest but Clough still feels it's necessary for him to start, what does that tell you about the depth and quality within the squad?

I don't think Hughes is the problem. It's refreshing to see such a young player come in and make such a positive impact and show such promise. It's an odd set of circumstances but the fact is a 17-year-old is integral to our current side and our future success.

People say Clough needs to be brave and pick two from Bryson, Hughes and Hendrick and stop accommodating his 'favourites'. But you could also say that clearly the likes of Davies and Jacobs aren't offering enough to the team, otherwise why would Clough choose to play central midfielders in the wide positions? Something he has done since August.

If they are anywhere near fit, Coutts, Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson can all take their places as assured, the only way that is going to change is if we add more depth and quality to the squad to create actual competition for places.

Archived