Playing Hughes Currently Limits Us

rammieib

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the best part of Will's game is when he gets the ball brings in opposition players and creates space for his team mates to pass the ball to. He could do with a rest, and there is no reason why not. We played all last season with Bryson and Hendrick in the middle and they are both clearly a level better than 12 months ago. We have plenty of others than can play on the wings so there's no reason things can't be changed. I'd say Clough is scared not to play one of our best players, but what do I know?

Hughes needs to stay in the team, we have been a better side since he has got in it and played centrally. He was good enough today for us to totally dominate the play against one of the form teams, until we gifted them a goal and that lifted them and there fans. Leaving out one of your best players doesn't make sense

Sheff Wed one of the form teams?before today lying 7th from bottom and 4 pts.from relegation.Ifa

17 years old lad is our best hope we are in trouble.

What we have to remember as well is that nobody expected Hughes to be as good as he was at the beginning of the season, and I imagine Hendrick and Bryson were very much the first choice 2, so dropping him for a couple of games would go back to our 'preferred choice' at the beginning of the season. Put Jacobs on the left and give him 2 games to see what he can do, he'll a player that has the ability to create something from nothing and has the flair similar to Hughes so theoretically we shouldn't be down on much. Hughes has probably played more minutes of football in the past 6 months then he had in the previous 2 years, so that's going to take his toll.

Coutts ----Bryson---Hendrick---Jacobs please Clough!

What we have to remember as well is that nobody expected Hughes to be as good as he was at the beginning of the season, and I imagine Hendrick and Bryson were very much the first choice 2, so dropping him for a couple of games would go back to our 'preferred choice' at the beginning of the season. Put Jacobs on the left and give him 2 games to see what he can do, he'll a player that has the ability to create something from nothing and has the flair similar to Hughes so theoretically we shouldn't be down on much. Hughes has probably played more minutes of football in the past 6 months then he had in the previous 2 years, so that's going to take his toll.

Coutts ----Bryson---Hendrick---Jacobs please Clough!

I'd be tempted to try Davies - Bryson - Hendrick - Jacobs. Trouble with Jacobs is that he needs to create at least one goal to make up for his poor protection of Roberts.

Sheff Wed one of the form teams?before today lying 7th from bottom and 4 pts.from relegation.Ifa

17 years old lad is our best hope we are in trouble.

As been said they have won 6, drawn 3 and lost 1 out of their last 10. Is that not in form then? We would be in the pkay offs if we did that. Our best hope is a 17 year old, when he plays well we win and he is one of the most talked about young players in the country for that reason.

Back from the game and I've now seen Hughes play in the last few games - well I think it was Will Hughes but didn't see have any effect on any of the games. (I don't think he played well against Huddersfield)

I am not criticising him as a poor player - he is 17 and inexperienced but I honestly think Clough has this obsession with him. I may be wrong but Bryson and Hendrick have scored more, and he probably has the same amount as Coutts. (2 goals?) - I'm fairly sure all the others have more assists than Hughes.

So therefore - why are we continuing to play him? His current form is abysmal and today was another game where the match bypassed him.

The other problem - we still have this square peg in round hole scenario which occurs because of playing Hughes. Again, we were desperate for width. Both Ben Davies and Jacobs (My preference) would give us this width a bit more. Coutts never stays out on the wing, so we are so narrow it creates nothing.

I really would give Hughes a rest. If you could put Bryson in with him, I think Hendrick would grow in confidence and have an even bigger impact on the game. Hendrick is superb at the moment, and with the knowledge that Bryson would be next to him, could push on to the next level.

Thoughts?

You said last few games... that's why you don't rate him. He does need a rest but that's all.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent....................

Needs a rest and then do a Hendrick and be better after the rest and analysis of what he is lacking. For Hendrick he had lost his attacking drive, composure and hardness in the tackle.

For Hughes he is just a bit of the pace with his touch and his passing has been more rushed (partly opposition influence getting tight to him).

Also the surface at Sheffield didnt help. Nonetheless the two home games previous to that he looked rusty anyway on the carpet at pp.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent....................

Needs a rest and then do a Hendrick and be better after the rest and analysis of what he is lacking. For Hendrick he had lost his attacking drive, composure and hardness in the tackle.

For Hughes he is just a bit of the pace with his touch and his passing has been more rushed (partly opposition influence getting tight to him).

Also the surface at Sheffield didnt help. Nonetheless the two home games previous to that he looked rusty anyway on the carpet at pp.

Let's install astro-turf in the areas that Will touches the ball, that should do it

Hughes didn't have an amazing 90 minutes at Sheff Weds, but it was certainly better than some of his recent performances.

But just so I can be sure I'm not losing the plot – who started the move for our first goal at Hillsboro, with a sublime takedown and one touch pass?

It WAS Hughes wasn't it?

Now remind me what the score would have been if he'd not done that? Oh yes, 2-1 to Sheff Weds

Thought he played well on Saturday. Still needs a rest though.

Clough's damned if he does, damned if he don't. Every game Hughes plays he's getting more tired, but leave him out and it's a big part of our playmaking gone.

If anything I think this highlights the need for an attacking CM/playmaker next season, specially as Hughes might not be here. Bryson and Hendrick are key to the team but they need to be complimented by someone who can get their foot on the ball, fizz it out wide and start an attack.

Shame the highlights on FLS missed out his control and pass before the goal. I thought it was a sublime pass!

He does look tired though and that is in no way a criticism of him. Agreed does show how we need someone else to compliment Bryson and the Gerrrardesc performances from Jeff!

I never said I didn't rate him, I said he's out of form and is not effecting games currently, and therefore we are carrying him. Jeff gets stuck in, scores goals, gets forward and can play a pass himself. Imagine two Jeff's in there......

I think referring to a pass he made at the beginning of a move is clutching at straws. I thought in the Wednesday game he made one good pass all game (An inside ball to space Bryson was moving into) but recently he hasn't been getting near the opposition box and therefore not creating anything - he's also been giving the ball away a lot more.

It also means Bryson is on the left which he cannot play well enough - cannot take people on, no crosses into the box and sucked inside all too often - and then only being yards away from Coutts because he has done the same leaving us with no width and it pushes Hughes towards the back four.

Archived