Playing Hughes Currently Limits Us

rammieib

A quality pass is a quality pass at whatever part of creating a goal. Its not just down to the final 2 passes. So dont see how praising someone for a pass can be deemed as "clutching at straws"

I agree with you that he's out of form and the number of passes going astray has definately increased. Great point about no width as it is really starting to frustrate me aswell on a regular basis. Think it comes back to the point of NC wanting to play his best 11 players, which is not necessarily our best team.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He prefers players over a system, that's obvious.

But I do kind of get his thinking in playing Bryson on the left. He's not a particularly attacking player, which means he can provide some support to Roberts, who, despite playing well over the last 18 months, is vulnerable when exposed with no support. Longer term it's not sustainable to play this way but for now I understand it.

A pacy LB that can bomb up and down will negate the need for quite the same amount of protection, which hopefully we'll get next season.

He dont need a rest, he is just finding it more difficult as teams have sussed he is often at the centre of anything good we do, and they close him down a lot quicker.

What he needs is the players around him to step up to the mark and take some pressure off him by playing to their full ability.

With the amount of press coverage he has had I agree, other teams have sussed him out aswell.

I like your comment about full ability Leeds Ram aswell! Personally I think Jeff has been great for a few months now, but definately more to come out of a few. Which is quite positive really bearing in mind some of the good performances of late, excluding Forest and Blackburn of course.

People will always find something to pick on. Hughes is going to have a form slump at some point. Whether it is nerves, media pressure, other teams "sussing" him out or any combination of things doesn't really matter, it will likely (and may already) be happening. He's a kid, it happens. He was born in 1995, let me repeat that, nineteen ninety five! He's very young, and he's not going to be like a seasoned pro all the time.

The key at this point is to not dent his confidence and drop him needlessly. If he needs a rest that is one thing, but dropping him because he's had a bad game isn't going to help anything, and could be extremely detrimental to us having any hope of keeping him for next season.

I don't think dropping him would be needless to be fair Albert. Being dropped if you're out of form is part and parcel of the game.

In saying that I think the dip in form is down to a number of things as others have mentioned, perhaps he isn't tires. However, he's still a young lad, his body is still developing and I think we've got to be careful with him. It's a tough league and he's played a hell of a lot of football.

It's not just Hughes. Clough has an obsession with Hendrick and Bryson as well and feels the need to start all 3 every game which doesn't work in a 4 man midfield. I personally think we should play Coutts and Jacobs on the wings, along with the two most in-form out of Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes in the centre.

Archived