Why aren't we having fun?

Duracell

I'm enjoying it. There are too many people who are unhappy with the manager and the board (for whatever reason) so let themselves enjoy it.

I used to have a teacher at school that I hated, but as I got older his lessons got better and more interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to like him.

I think alot of people are like with Clough.

If you slag something off every time we lose (Sammon's ball control, Hendrick's technique, whatever), people refuse to lose face when we win by conceding they may have been a little hasty - it's much easier to continue to be pigheaded and pick faults, even when we win.

In my opinion it's the best football since Burley and that to me is a true sign of progress. But there's a long way to go this season.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the team, the whole honesty thing, and I think Clough is trying to do the right things the right way. Been a while but I actually look forward to the next game and even that Leicester collapse had some promise as has been said. Does not mean I agree with all that has been done but yeah, we have no reason to be glum!

Bar the Burnley & Peterborough games I'm enjoying the season. But like a lot of other peeps I don't want to get carried away because it will only take something like the board flogging Hughes to Man U in Jan for the paltry sum of £3m to make me cry into my Cornflakes again...

I still think we'll finish around where we are at the moment but if we can keep the points ticking over and don't loose to many by March who knows...

I'm enjoying it a lot more1

Watching them on telly against Leeds was like reliving the glory years!

Who wouldn't enjoy that?

Enjoy the fun...especially while we've got Will!

Merry Christmas all 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

Spot on. I'm enjoying this season so far. Players are far better than last season they are a joy to watch at home. 100% effort from every player

Well done to the whole squad and the manager and long may it continue.

I feel that the big difference this season is that we have midfielders who are not scared to hold the ball and run with it, they take on the opposition instead of looking for an instant pass, this is only possible when a player has confidence in his own ability, and confidence is naturally there in players like will hughes, paul coutts and Michael Jacobs, we just need to get the defence sorted with the best combination and we will have a good team, we are streets ahead of where we were with midfield containing the likes of pearson, savage laurent Robert, bob Malcolm etc, those players would just get rid asap, to me that is where I see our biggest improvement, in the days when we had the likes of van de laan, carsley, eranio, seth Johnson, asanovic in jims smiths team we did well, before that in Arthur coxs team we had Callaghan, gary micklewhite, ted McMinn and Geraint Williams, strength in midfield and decent wingers who could get the ball in to the forwards,in dave mackays team we had rioch, newton and archie gemill and then in clough seniors team we had McGovern, gemmill, hinton and supported by todd, all these teams had a good midfield and decent crossers of the ball, we have some way to go yet but coutts and Jacobs are showing promise and if we can keep hughes we can build on it. things have come a long way but there is still a lot further to go, I would like to see ward back in the team, I feel the time is just right for him, he will link up well with the midfield, I cant help thinking though that he is being kept in cotton wool for somebody !!!!

I'm enjoying it. There are too many people who are unhappy with the manager and the board (for whatever reason) so let themselves enjoy it.

(snip)

I've got a feeling that some people would far prefer to be right than happy. So many made instant judgements that Clough would never make a go of it, and with those people the NLN syndrome still exists, and probably always will do. You know who they are - the same people inhabit every website and most of them disappear when we win, but by jingo they're back as soon as standards slip, as sure as night follows day.

I feel that the big difference this season is that we have midfielders who are not scared to hold the ball and run with it, they take on the opposition instead of looking for an instant pass, this is only possible when a player has confidence in his own ability, and confidence is naturally there in players like will hughes, paul coutts and Michael Jacobs, we just need to get the defence sorted with the best combination and we will have a good team, we are streets ahead of where we were with midfield containing the likes of pearson, savage laurent Robert, bob Malcolm etc, those players would just get rid asap, to me that is where I see our biggest improvement, in the days when we had the likes of van de laan, carsley, eranio, seth Johnson, asanovic in jims smiths team we did well, before that in Arthur coxs team we had Callaghan, gary micklewhite, ted McMinn and Geraint Williams, strength in midfield and decent wingers who could get the ball in to the forwards,in dave mackays team we had rioch, newton and archie gemill and then in clough seniors team we had McGovern, gemmill, hinton and supported by todd, all these teams had a good midfield and decent crossers of the ball, we have some way to go yet but coutts and Jacobs are showing promise and if we can keep hughes we can build on it. things have come a long way but there is still a lot further to go, I would like to see ward back in the team, I feel the time is just right for him, he will link up well with the midfield, I cant help thinking though that he is being kept in cotton wool for somebody !!!!

Well done Lowie!

A nice balanced analysis of where we are. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Don't mean to burst the bubble but it was only Bristol City we beat, a team that hasn't won a home game since August. Leeds was a decent win but they are hardly world beaters either. We haven't beaten anyone in the top 6 yet so let's not get too excited. The football has got better but let's face it, we are still a long way from being a real force in the division.

Could it be that us football fans are unknowingly caught up in this new era (Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea) where you can't lose anymore without a crisis looming? I mean have we lost our objectivity ?

The Derby County I have seen this season are a good side. I like the football, I look forward to games, I hope and expect to win but if we lose it's on to the next. Without stating the obvious, as disappointed as I am when we lose I understand the opposition are trying to win and it ain't easy. In a fairly equal division that's the way it is. I'll tell you what though, if the team and club could really get us, the fans, REALLY united behind them with the feel-good factor we would take some stopping. Worth a goal a game are us Derby fans when roused that is! (steady matron)

When you say we aren't enjoying it, i kind of get the impression most people are.

Most people that go to games really enjoy it, the only negatives i have heard this season are:

Why has he picked him etc.

We keep hoofing it into the corner

The atmosphere has depleted due to the reduced attendances

Away form is poor.

There are not that many things wrong. I love going to all games that why i am going to the next 6 home and away. If we are in the top 6 by the end of January attendances are bound to rise and there will be a multiplier effect on match days and away days will receive more fans.

We just need that consistent run of results and i am sure people will really start to believe. At the moment its a kind off maybe as everyone loves it at home with the young squad 'footballing' teams off the park but away we lack that killer instinct. Players like Keogh, Bryson, Sammon (the spine of the team) need to get everyone else around them believing, there is only so much Nigel can do before the away games in terms of preparation and picking the team.

Personally, I'm enjoying the football more than I have for years, and I think that most are.

A key difference from last year is that we haven't had runs of 4 or 5 wins balanced by 4 or 5 defeats, so mood hasn't had the chance to soar too high or plummet too low.

Don't mean to burst the bubble but it was only Bristol City we beat, a team that hasn't won a home game since August. Leeds was a decent win but they are hardly world beaters either. We haven't beaten anyone in the top 6 yet so let's not get too excited. The football has got better but let's face it, we are still a long way from being a real force in the division.

What on earth has that got to do with having fun? That was what this topic was about.

Could it be that us football fans are unknowingly caught up in this new era (Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Chelsea) where you can't lose anymore without a crisis looming? I mean have we lost our objectivity ?

This is the biggest change in fans outlooks I believe (not just ours btw).

If Man Ure lose two on the trot its a disaster, Fergie's team selection is criticised, last season they were questioning the clubs perceived lack of spending, its like you say, a crises, blown out of all proportion.

Football fans want instant gratification nowadays. What's happening at Derby right now may well become the blueprint in a year or two's time.

This is the biggest change in fans outlooks I believe (not just ours btw).

If Man Ure lose two on the trot its a disaster, Fergie's team selection is criticised, last season they were questioning the clubs perceived lack of spending, its like you say, a crises, blown out of all proportion.

Football fans want instant gratification nowadays. What's happening at Derby right now may well become the blueprint in a year or two's time.

I think buying success is to blame for this. Top teams have always spent but now it's crazy. Man City lost nearly £100 million last year and it doesn't seem to matter. I believe the Derby route is the right one and deseves more support and success than it so far has been given.

Anyway, I'll have fun on Friday. I cried like a baby when the Hull game got switched to a Friday.

Well, I've managed to wangle a day off, Going to a leaving do at 2.00pm so will be full of festive fun by the time the Black Swan mini bus has its final call for boarding later on that evening.......got me black & white santa hat ready......its also raceday in Utch, 1st race 12.05, so a number of our group may well be worse for wear.

Beware the Utch massif!

Imo i think after years of lack lustre ,we as Derby fans tend to look for the worse no matter how good we perform we are waiting for the implosion to come .

Now wether that be from poor form or the sale of a stawlet ,or will GSE sell or whatever i feel we dont let ourselves be too happy just in case one or all the above happen?

I for one am quite happy at the moment, I always feel that were going to win/or have a chance of

winning, I can remember when going 2 behind didn't dent the optimism, were not at that point yet

but its got to be 50% better than last season.

If we dont win on friday - at least Hull will know they've been in a fight.

It could be worse - you could be a Cardif fan.

Archived