Great Rams Midfielders

Brammie Steve

Steve Powell. Will Carlin. Terry Hennesey.

Fransesco Biano. Alan Durban. John Mcgovern. Barry Powell. Darryl Powell. Henry Newton. Jack Parry. That will do for now.

Those top three were excellent. It's a shame Hennessey only got 60 matches with us before his injury saw him off. He was class and a real all rounder.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Muespach said. Archie was just class for us, skipping on mud, firing up the rest of the team and scoring a few too. And Willie Carlin was arguably as good . I'd be more decisive, but I was only 11 when Willie left. Rioch, Rioch. Have we ever looked more dangerous at set piece. And there's only one Gerry Daly. The Italians were great and Asa too. On top of the ground young Alberto.

Young Will is easy on the eye, finds space and a pass where others fluster, but give the lad chance to grow. Been a long time since the glory days and his shoulders aren't that broad.

Yep - Willie Carlin for me, crackin' little player.

For the record when Colin Todd was first signed he was played in midfield - not in the back four.

Very difficult original question.If I had to go for just one to put into our present team,then I'd choose Carlin (though if Charlie were to be classed as a midfielder,I might change my mind!).I said (on here) last season that I thought Will might well prove to be the pick of the Academy.I formed this opinion on the basis of a full match video of an U18 game against Sheff U. last season ,which we lost.I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even know the lad existed prior to this,but he soon had me sitting up taking notice.He rarely gave the ball away and was loathe to pass backwards.More importantly (maybe) I noticed that he was comfortable in receiving whilst marked (and sometimes double marked.)This also showed the opposition were affording respect and that his own mates had confidence in his ability.These aspects reminded me of Carlin.

Of the others,you can't rule out Archie and I thought Asanovic was pure class.I remember watching him in a Croatia game shown here on RTE (after we'd signed him,but he'd not yet appeared for us),when Giles was an analyst.I remember him saying that Derby had got themselves a good signing.This,allied to what I'd seen myself,was more than enough for me.Whatever you might say about Giles,because of his connections,he knows his onions when talking about midfielders.Giles and Carlin were very similar players and I'd find it hard to separate them (bias aside).

All of this without mentioning Eranio etc.Too difficult a question,I'm afraid,Steve.

You've also surprised me,Dario.I thought Todd played full back when he came,because of the presence of Dave.However,I do vaguely remember some midfield appearances,where I didn't think he was particularly good.I also suspect that Dave retired partly because he thought he was holding Toddy back from achieving his full potential

Will Hughes was mentioned to me as a potential star of the future by Kev Moore - he went to watch that U-17 tournament in Portugal where Will dominated and where (it is rumoured) he came to Barcelona's attention. I must confess that I never thought that we would be raving about him for about 3 years. Saying that, he has got a long, long way to go before he approaches the quality of the midfielders we had in the 1970's. If he becomes as good as Alan Durban, he will be one hell of a player.

[size=5]I'm amazed that none of you have mentioned the legend that was BOB MALCOLM, his mere presence on the pitch made grown men weep and opponents were seen to quake when he had control of the ball, he will go down in the annals of Derby County history alongside Brian Attley and Aiden McCaffery.[/size]

[size=5] 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> [/size]

I loved Gerry Daly such a shame were a fading force when he came

I never saw Carlin but I did see Gemmill and its between him and Eranio for me. Funnily enough I didn't think Rioch was all that good a player. He had an amazing shot though and was the 'hardest' player I think I have seen play for Derby. Well him and Mick Harford

I loved Gerry Daly such a shame were a fading force when he came

I never saw Carlin but I did see Gemmill and its between him and Eranio for me. Funnily enough I didn't think Rioch was all that good a player. He had an amazing shot though and was the 'hardest' player I think I have seen play for Derby. Well him and Mick Harford

Rioch was amazing in the 2nd championship season. He could tackle and boss the midfield better than Roy Keane ever did. He was as good a goalscorer as Lampard or Gerrard in their prime.

Bruce and Archie...what a combination, jeez what price would those two fetch in today's money?

Steve Powell - played for Derby over a 13 year period as a defensive midfielder and defender. Derby through and through. One of the hardest players we have had but also creative.

Made his debut in a top team at 16.

Must have been the first name on the teamsheet for many of those thirteen years.

I can't imagine not including Steve in his prime in an all time midfield.

Idiakez? Really people? He was perfectly decent but never played in the top flight!

Of the players I've seen in a Derby shirt you have to have Eranio in there... But my favourite was Kinky... great player... utter genius...

My dad would kill me if I didn't mention the likes of Archie Gemmill, alan Durban and Alan Hinton...

Archived