Great Rams Midfielders

Brammie Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only ever seen highlights of Rioch but I've seen enough highlights and heard enough stories to know he was an excellent footballer. You never saw Asanovic play??? The youth of today are dealt a very poor hand indeed 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Bruce Rioch? I may not be the world's best judge of players' positions but I know good players when I see them.

I saw Bruce's first game for Derby and the other team were through for a certain goal.

Bruce ran into the area and I remember thinking, "Oh well, better a penalty than a soft goal!" How he managed it I'll never know but he took the ball off the attacker's foot and away he ran with it.

How's that for class?

(BTW, I only posted this thread to provoke discussion! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> )

Eranio if he's not classed as a wing back in that awesome 3-5-2?

Asanavic v Idiakez - Asanavic

Van Der Laan the best leader I've seen in my time.

Seth still my favourite. Loved Carsley too.

If we could buy a Lee Carsley in his prime now.....

(BTW, I only posted this thread to provoke discussion! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> )

And a mighty fine discussion it is too. However at the same time it is slightly depressing. Looking back at these fantastic players and realising our most important midfielder at the moment is a man who's main attribute is running around a lot. Hopefully we can get to watch Master Hughes become a great before being shipped out...

Tom Huddlestone is one of the most over rated players I've ever seen. There is nothing special about him whatsoever. At 17 he was promising. He has not improved one bit on that and has never reached his potential. Probably never will.

We got the right money for him. It was all he was worth.

Pembridge . Paul Williams (josh). Charlie George ( striker/midfield). Archie Gemmill (best ?) Geraint Williams (Welsh wizard was magic )with John Gregory in Authur Cox team.

What a fantastic signing John Gregory was. Its a shame that a lot of people will only remember him for what he did here as a manager because as a player he was instrumental in our rise through the divisions.

Tom Huddlestone is one of the most over rated players I've ever seen. There is nothing special about him whatsoever. At 17 he was promising. He has not improved one bit on that and has never reached his potential. Probably never will.

We got the right money for him. It was all he was worth.

The fact that he has gone on to become a regular in a top 6 Premier League team and also play for his country may tell you that there is something that you are missing.

If you think he was only worth £250k or whatever we got for him, I don't hold out much hope for the people who think we will get in excess of £5million for Hughes!

The combination of Gemmill, Durban and McGovern was a wonder to behold - and then to have someone like Bruce Rioch who could score the best part of 20 goals a season was just incredible. What a forward line as well - Hector, Lee, George, Leighton James - there was goals everywhere you looked.

Those of us of a certain age are truly blessed to have such memories.

Just surprised there's been no mention of Gordon Hughes or Billy Hodgson so far if we're allowing the likes of Nigel Callaghan.

I was surprised to discover that Derek Draper only played 8 times for us - I was gutted when he left. I suppose his transfer was the 'thank you' for us getting Zak.

Technically speaking, Bloomer could play in midfield in a modern formation - he'd take any of the previous names to the cleaners, especially with modern coaching and equipment.

Also - should the midfield of our Championship winning teams and our FA Cup team be in their by default?

People don't properly realise this, but immediately after the Second World War, Derby were probably the best team on the planet.

Gemill!! Outrageous no ones mentioned him before Eddie. He was two decades before I was even born but you don't need to see him play to accept that he's probably better than Miles Addison.

To be fair, the OP had him as a token midfielder amongst the defenders

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Bunny you must of missed me saying. Gemmill was the best midfielder we ever had.

You're right, I did miss it.

I think there's very little debate in the matter myself. Gemmill in his prime was one of the best in the country, and along with Bremner formed a midfield for Scotland that many European countries drooled over! Imagine if there was a British team in the 1970s....it would have given any team a run for their money.

It's difficult to define what a "midfielder" is I guess, but I'd go by the definition of not a Centre Forward, Defender, or Goal Keeper. So I'd like us to remember Raich Carter, and Inside Forward who today would probably play "in the whole" or as an attacking midfielder. Stanley Matthews said this of him:

"I felt [he] was the ideal partner for me... Carter was a supreme entertainer who dodged, dribbled, twisted and turned, sending bewildered left-halves madly along false trails. Inside the penalty box with the ball at his feet and two or three defenders snapping at his ankles, he'd find the space to get a shot in at goal... Bewilderingly clever, constructive, lethal in front of goal, yet unselfish. Time and again he'd play the ball out wide to me and with such service I was in my element."

The Iniesta of his day?!

Or, maybe Peter Doherty, our other inside forward at the time, could lay claim to being better. Len Shackleton wrote a decent review of him:

"Peter Doherty was surely the genius among geniuses. Possessor of the most baffling body swerve in football, able to perform all the tricks with the ball, owning a shot like the kick of a mule, and, with all this, having such tremendous enthusiasm for the game that he would work like a horse for ninety minutes. That was pipe-smoking Peter Doherty, the Irish redhead who, I am convinced, had enough football skill to stroll through a game smoking that pipe-and still make the other twenty-one players appear second-raters. But of course Peter never strolled through anything. His energy had to be seen to be appreciated."

Either way, both were key members of the first post-war team to win the FA Cup, which at the time was probably the most prestigous trophy to be lifted since Germany invaded Poland.

You don't get anyone writing about Leon Osman like that. These blokes are the only ones that deserve to be mentioned with the rest of our Championship winning sides.

Archived